Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6236 6237 [6238] 6239 6240 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9490758 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93555 on: May 27, 2015, 02:03:39 pm »

Cynicism is dumb, skepticism is one of the most important things for a person to have, pessimism is realism.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #93556 on: May 27, 2015, 02:13:22 pm »

I'm a self confessed sceptical pessimist.

With a hint of idealism.

Who can blame me?  :)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93557 on: May 27, 2015, 02:22:30 pm »

Cynicism is dumb, skepticism is one of the most important things for a person to have, pessimism is realism.

Google tells me:
Cynicism:
1. an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; scepticism.
That I've been using this word wrong. I also now believe that I am actually a pessimistic altruist.
Which is a weird self-realization to have.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93558 on: May 27, 2015, 02:32:55 pm »

Google tells me:
Cynicism:
1. an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; scepticism.
That I've been using this word wrong. I also now believe that I am actually a pessimistic altruist.
Which is a weird self-realization to have.

And/or the belief that people are generally shallow, vain, materialistic, and petty; that even people who we wouldn't normally associate with these things - people who are normal folks and not hollywood movie stars or whatever - all still have severe shortcomings in these areas even if they and those arpund them don't realize it or admit it.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #93559 on: May 27, 2015, 03:03:23 pm »

To hop in on the homeschooling conversation a few years late, I'd like to point out that the American public education system is incredibly terrible for kids born with shit like autism, anxiety, so on and so forth. That's basically why I was pulled out of school, because while it was teaching me, it drained me and left me goofing off on video games 24/7 with little to no incentive to keep learning. In my opinion, homeschooling is a pretty dangerous move and should be tailored more to the kid than the parent. Also noting that the parents have to be dedicated and go in with an open-ass mind.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93560 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:42 pm »

So you're saying be skeptical, but not pessimistic to the point of apathy?
Yeah, sort of. The problem with cynicism is that it often seems to lead to misanthropy. "People are irredeemably evil, therefore I shouldn't bother with them, everything's fucked, all positive emotions are a psychological cover story for something base and sinister," etc. are attitudes which don't accomplish anything useful. Assuming everyone's doing things for bad reasons is still assuming, rather than analyzing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93561 on: May 27, 2015, 03:27:45 pm »

I got raised to the tune of: "it's not the job of society to bend to the needs of the psychologically abberant, but should be the aspiration of those few to meet the demands of society".
>>What a wonderful outlook. The Spartans would be proud.<<

In my personal experience, it's far too exhausting to explain to people in every new job and class about all the shit going on with me and them having them all treat me like I'm made of glass.
I'd rather take the extra five seconds to think through the possible contexts of the phrase I'm about to say, and have everyone just assume I'm stupid, but normal.

... Yes, I did throw away my highschool education because of things like reading in class or spacing out the window. >>I don't see how it's relevant<<

Trying out sardonic/facetious symbols
I don.'to like them.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93562 on: May 27, 2015, 04:11:12 pm »

So you're saying be skeptical, but not pessimistic to the point of apathy?
Yeah, sort of. The problem with cynicism is that it often seems to lead to misanthropy. "People are irredeemably evil, therefore I shouldn't bother with them, everything's fucked, all positive emotions are a psychological cover story for something base and sinister," etc. are attitudes which don't accomplish anything useful. Assuming everyone's doing things for bad reasons is still assuming, rather than analyzing.

Or, in classical philosophy, more of an expansion of the definitions of base and sinister things to extend into the normal range of behavior. The reason you aren't slovenly isn't because there's anything wrong with it but because you and society at large are vain; the reason you aren't ok with someone whipping it out in public isn't because there's anything wrong with that but because you and society at large are prudiah and petty.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #93563 on: May 27, 2015, 11:35:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've just fucked everything up. And now everything is gonna always be fucked up. Because I have the damn horrible luck to have been cursed with severe depression.

I don't know. I guess bye.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93564 on: May 27, 2015, 11:39:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've just fucked everything up. And now everything is gonna always be fucked up. Because I have the damn horrible luck to have been cursed with severe depression.

:(
Hope you come back.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93565 on: May 27, 2015, 11:54:06 pm »

Quote from: Gunner-Chan

:-\
Depression...
Listen too, to the voices who support you. Internalize them at times, too.
Wishing you well from halfway around the world, Gun, from someone who fought depression off too.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93566 on: May 28, 2015, 12:09:07 am »

Come back soon, hope you feel better, poi-chan. Things got better for me, there's no reason to think they can't get better for you, poi.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #93567 on: May 28, 2015, 12:13:37 am »

I really feel like I failed her.

Despite everything I couldn't make her believe in me because her trust in everything was too shaken. She's known me less than other people that meant a lot to her, so... She's convinced I'm just going to leave one day too.

So she's given me her laptop, said I can keep all her online accounts. And pretty much said she's going to just keep doing her job so I can have some money and not have to do anything. She doesn't even want me to go to work with her anymore.

I don't know. I feel like a total, complete failure.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93568 on: May 28, 2015, 12:29:20 am »

You're not a failure, Owlga, you sound like a better friend and lover than anyone else could hope for. Its just not possible to cure depression. Stay with her, 'kay? Ive been stuck with depression too and it certainly doesn't help to find your friends are no longer interested in talking to you. But having someone there to talk to when you need them helps, even if temporarily.

I wish you both the best of luck in getting through this.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93569 on: May 28, 2015, 12:33:03 am »

I really feel like I failed her.

Despite everything I couldn't make her believe in me because her trust in everything was too shaken. She's known me less than other people that meant a lot to her, so... She's convinced I'm just going to leave one day too.

So she's given me her laptop, said I can keep all her online accounts. And pretty much said she's going to just keep doing her job so I can have some money and not have to do anything. She doesn't even want me to go to work with her anymore.

I don't know. I feel like a total, complete failure.
Prove her wrong Owlga, be the best most trustworthy friend ever! It'll be like an animu rom-com but with smaller eyeballs.

Also maybe give her a hug for me plz, poi.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6236 6237 [6238] 6239 6240 ... 8167