Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5667 5668 [5669] 5670 5671 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9411107 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #85020 on: December 01, 2014, 10:44:39 am »

Every time I try to get some of my freelance work done, I get sudden splitting headaches.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #85021 on: December 01, 2014, 10:57:53 am »

@Vector
What would a better world look like? Is there anybody you want to protect or otherwise help? Yourself is a valid answer, here. Anybody you want to spite by proving wrong? Yourself is also a valid answer, here, although not immediately obvious. Do you feel like you need a role to fulfill? If so, would you rather it be externally-defined, or something you choose yourself? Is there somebody you want to be and aren't?

Just kind of spitballing here. Arbitrary questions are arbitrary. Really, though, one thing about all this arbitrary pick-a-purpose stuff is that anything you feel is as valid as you want. Depression is an awful experience, but perhaps it could become the focus of your motivation? I don't really know. Forcing things to change in an obvious way helps remind yourself that things aren't permanently stuck the way they are now. Cleaning, for example, might have felt good because it reminded you that you do have some agency in controlling your environment.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #85022 on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:27 am »

Also, simply getting stuff done. Cleaning makes me feel better because I feel like I'm conquering procrastination and handling my life. Sometimes you just need to set a goal so that when you finish it you'll get a sense of accomplishment.

My sad: woke up massively anxious this morning, my heart pounding and my kidneys feeling all weird. I'm suddenly acutely aware of all the work I need to do in a short period of time, and all the things I need to not forget to do. On the other hand, this feeling did help me get out of bed earlier than usual.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #85023 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:44 am »

Be excited about something, no matter what it is. A TV show, a game, drawing, whatever, and do it. It is so fucking hard and I know it. You are a great person.....
This one, aye. :/
Wrote up a long post but then conciseness beats it.
There's a real fact in most workplace environments or professions of the reality of discrimination or unequal expectation despite the ideal workplace having those tiny, nearly inconspicuous factors playing a needless role in modifying it. How reasoning--one of our great strengths--can also be used against others. Given the hierarchical manner of most workplaces or corporations; if the higher-ups are...lacking, then problems trickle down and cause a lot of collateral damage.

A subtle annoyance paradoxically evident in society :/ Sad thing is that it's a social construct--it's not natural, but made. Things like the Glass Ceiling or pretty much other rubbish which gives unfairness: that's not how life is, or even should be.

But all this doesn't mean that you should be dreary. Keep yourself supported--if your environment is rubbish, at least the skies are clear of them. You aren't made of the same rubbish, anyway--that's one thing to be glad for. A good sense of self-image/esteem is a great support in life I've found, no matter what trash may be thrown at you in the future. It makes you look dirty, and feel dirty, but you aren't really dirty.

* Tiruin gives hugs to y'all.
Keep those expectations, however. Don't let it die to those who let it die.
You make your better world--even if your workplace sucks. Depression feels the sucks, but it is not permanent.
My wording is messy. Argh fatigue.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #85024 on: December 01, 2014, 08:03:47 pm »

Girl I like who has been having issues back home (abroad) such as a friend committing suicide is now taken.

I've been putting it off as I'd feel like I was kinda taking advantage, as I've also been helping her through it.

But a less scrupulous guy has not had such issues, and so I'm left out in the cold.

Fuck the moral high ground -_-
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85025 on: December 01, 2014, 08:09:39 pm »

Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.

Seriously though, cheer up. Someone else will come along sooner or later - it's not like this was the love of your life and you'll commit suicide now, is it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #85026 on: December 01, 2014, 08:10:48 pm »

Girl I like who has been having issues back home (abroad) such as a friend committing suicide is now taken.

I've been putting it off as I'd feel like I was kinda taking advantage, as I've also been helping her through it.

But a less scrupulous guy has not had such issues, and so I'm left out in the cold.

Fuck the moral high ground -_-

Been there. A girl I was pretty seriously interested in a few years ago had her relationship disintegrate messily right after she had a baby because the dude she was with turned out to be a worthless asshat, and I kept my distance so she didn't think I was trying to move in. Turned out she took that as me snubbing her because she had a baby (there's a certain class of guy that's pretty heavily represented in the environment we were in that considers a woman with a kid to be "tainted" and worthless), and things turned pretty nasty between us for awhile.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85027 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:06 pm »

Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.

This is fantastic, may I sig it?
Quote from: Helgoland
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85028 on: December 01, 2014, 08:24:25 pm »

Seriously though, cheer up. Someone else will come along sooner or later - it's not like this was the love of your life and you'll commit suicide now, is it?
Nope, but every opportunity seems to die with that exact same sentence, and it's starting to get under my skin.

I'm gonna sleep and try not to work myself up too much over it...
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85029 on: December 01, 2014, 08:32:28 pm »

This is fantastic, may I sig it?
Sure, go ahead!

sjm: There's a great quote from Goethe's Iphigenie auf Tauris:
Es klingt so schön, was unsre Väter taten,
Wenn es, in stillen Abendschatten ruhend,
Der Jüngling mit dem Ton der Harfe schlürft;
Und was wir tun, ist, wie es ihnen war,
Voll Müh und eitel Stückwerk!
"It sounds so good, what our forefathers did,
When, resting during the quiet evening hours,
The youth recites* it to the sound of the harp;
And what we do is like it was to them,
Laborious and incomplete!"

TL;DG (too long, didn't Goethe): It's like that for everyone. You just don't hear much about everyone else's failed attempts.

*Literal translation is 'slurps'. I don't know what the hell the guy was thinking.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85030 on: December 01, 2014, 08:46:43 pm »

The youth wouldn't be telling the tales, they'd be hearing them eagerly, slurping them up greedily like a thirsty dog does water.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85031 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »

Oh trust me, my failure is of less concern to me than the guy who's ended up with her. Upon their first conversation, despite knowing she had a girlfriend, his main themes of conversation were:
1) How hard it must be to be going to uni in a different country to her boyfriend at the time.
2) How cheating on people is rather common in England
3) How dating older guys (he's early twenties, she's 18) is rather common also.
The guy has done little since to earn my trust, and I have the sinking feeling she's going to get hurt.

Of course, maybe I'm just subconsciously making up excuses to be pissed at the guy.

Anyway, I said sleep, so sleep shall occur.

Sigtext

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #85032 on: December 01, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »

Feel kinda down today. Don't know why really, it's not like I have tons of homework or anything. If anything I should be happy because soon the semester will be over.

My life just feels unfulfilling.

Granted, I've felt way worse in the past and could feel worse now, but I'm not that low, so that's a plus. Still, feeling a general sense of "meh" today.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85033 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:59 pm »

I want to go make myself some food, but I know that if I leave this chair for even a second, someone is going to start using the computer, and then I won't get it back for another hour or so.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #85034 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:53 pm »

Does the chair have wheels? That can help.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 5667 5668 [5669] 5670 5671 ... 8166