Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5137 5138 [5139] 5140 5141 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9407796 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77070 on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »

In my universe, "I love you" is a vow. It's swearing by saying.
It's a cultural thing, I believe - Americans make much more fuzz about that.

What, really? Maybe it's our Germanic roots. Where are you from, Helgoland?
Germany... It's an observation that stems mostly from sitcoms, though. And from the fact that I've never heard anyone around here make a big deal out of it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77071 on: June 18, 2014, 09:52:45 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:15:04 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77072 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:38 pm »

I'm sitting months behind on schoolwork, and I've just realised I'm about to fail the last year of highschool. For the second time.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77073 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:08 pm »

Being someone with family that works with folks in your situation, have you considered/checked out the local adult school (equivalent) situation in your area? At least here in the states, they sometimes allow for dropping over and still completing the high school diploma in a potentially more suitable environment.

I actually did just that for my last semester or so. Admittedly somewhat lucky in that my parent was one of the main teachers for the local one, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77074 on: June 18, 2014, 10:36:50 pm »

That kind of thing is available, and it's pretty much my only option at this point as far as I can tell. Well, it's either that, or repeating highschool ad infinitum...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77075 on: June 18, 2014, 10:43:57 pm »

Well... I can't say if my experience was representative, or if the school I attended wasn't abnormally good, but my experience with it was very positive. Definitely the best bit of the high school period I experienced. More focused, considerably more flexible schedule, much better actual environment (less students, more comfortable classroom, etc. Admittedly, you've got the chance some of them are more disruptive than normal, but if yours is anything like mine was, the teachers have considerably more leeway in dealing with problem students)... all sorts of good things. I'd definitely say look into it, see what the local school(s) reputation is like and what you'd have to do to get in and get through.
Ask not!
Ask!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #77076 on: June 19, 2014, 02:24:55 am »

People in the West think a 20~30 class size is too much? O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77077 on: June 19, 2014, 02:31:15 am »

People in the West think a 20~30 class size is too much? O_o
Even in the East, a class size of 30+ is technically 'too much' [as noted in the principles of teaching]. :P
But we don't make much of a deal out of it... and we are lacking in teachers (or in the least, classrooms) :-\

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #77078 on: June 19, 2014, 02:42:23 am »

Classes in Poland usually have 20-25 students, and I was once in class with 32 v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #77079 on: June 19, 2014, 02:55:58 am »

A rule of thumb is that the smaller the class size, the better.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77080 on: June 19, 2014, 03:33:21 am »

Classes in Poland usually have 20-25 students, and I was once in class with 32 v:

On the other hand, I've had a weird school, and, in the first grade, we had, IIRC, seven people. It grew over time, but still.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77081 on: June 19, 2014, 05:00:55 am »

The standard maximum here is 30students in a class, but it frequently goes over. I'm not entirely sure how having more teachers per student would improve education though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #77082 on: June 19, 2014, 05:21:57 am »

The teacher can come closer to giving each student a personalised lesson, and has more time to help each individual. This is true in both theory and practice.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77083 on: June 19, 2014, 05:55:49 am »

... yeah. When you've got a class of 20+ and an hour, there's only so much a teacher can do, and it's incredibly easy for some or many of the students to just get... left behind. From what I can remember hearing of mi madre picking info up, studies at the time were showing quality of education starts dropping somewhere in the early twenties, and gets progressively worse as class size increases.

In contrast, when there's, say, ten students in the room at any one time, and they're there for 2-3 hours in one go (and then, y'know, maybe go home for lunch or go chill at the library for an hour or something then come back), there's considerably more options available to a teacher in regards to... everything, really. When the student can just stop for 10-15 minutes, maybe read, listen to music, browse the net or go for a walk or something without completely borking up the teacher's jive, things are just... better. And that gets easier to do the smaller the class, from what I've seen -- since instruction is more personalized, less people are inconvenienced if the teacher stops to catch someone back up or whatev'. And so the teacher actually can. They've got time for it, unlike with a normal class.

In the case of the particular school I went to, it was also very easy to, y'know, focus. One day on one subject, instead of six subjects in one day with interspersed interruptions and a great deal of distractions. Stuff like that. It was smaller than many adult schools, even the others in the local area, but from what I picked up you got (could get, anyway) similar deals in the larger local ones and even larger urban ones. It was just very different from high school, and much more pleasing to my, at least, sensibilities.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:58:43 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #77084 on: June 19, 2014, 05:59:00 am »

I would never be able to study a single subject for one day. I get bored if I had to study the same topic for over an hour.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 5137 5138 [5139] 5140 5141 ... 8166