Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4854 4855 [4856] 4857 4858 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449626 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72825 on: April 10, 2014, 02:26:57 pm »

C sounds illegal.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72826 on: April 10, 2014, 02:27:47 pm »

C sounds illegal.
Yeah, that's what it brought to mind, but I'm not entirely sure that's what Vector meant.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #72827 on: April 10, 2014, 02:29:01 pm »

I am going anyway.  The point is that I'm fucking tired of having to play my parents against each other in order to earn privileges like

a. being greeted
b. going to the doctor when reasonable
c. not being touched below the waist
Why do you need to do this? You're in your middle twenties, IIRC.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72828 on: April 10, 2014, 02:30:31 pm »

If she's living with parents, there's the possibility that they control transportation, and there's always the possibility that they control insurance.

In any case, I, too, wish you didn't have to put up with such horseshit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72829 on: April 10, 2014, 02:33:10 pm »

BING BING BING
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72830 on: April 10, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »

If she's living with parents, there's the possibility that they control transportation, and there's always the possibility that they control insurance.
How is that? I know many Americans don't have insurance, but wouldn't you have your own insurance anyway even if it's a family plan thing? How could they "control" insurance?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72831 on: April 10, 2014, 02:36:17 pm »

How is that? I know many Americans don't have insurance, but wouldn't you have your own insurance anyway even if it's a family plan thing? How could they "control" insurance?
It's by having controlling parents that don't want you to leave because you make their lives easier, and are able to keep it from happening, especially in this economy. I have the same issue, even with them saying "it's nothing serious" when I'm obviously sick.

I'm really sorry, Vector. :(

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72832 on: April 10, 2014, 02:38:20 pm »

It's by having controlling parents that don't want you to leave because you make their lives easier, and are able to keep it from happening, especially in this economy. I have the same issue.
I don't get it. If you're insured, no matter how, you can go to the doctor whenever you please, at least in my understanding.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #72833 on: April 10, 2014, 02:40:50 pm »

I'm sorry that you have to put up with this Vector
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72834 on: April 10, 2014, 02:41:50 pm »

I'm sorry that you have to put up with this Vector
^
 :'(

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72835 on: April 10, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »

Hooray! I win the prize and... Wait, no. There are no prizes. Only more sadness.

Or possibly it was a bizarrely timed search engine/cherry cultivar advertisement. That's less likely.

EDIT: NINNJJJJAAAAAAS

Anyway there are about a dozen reasons this could pose a problem ranging from "Parents maintain iron grip on ID cards" to "Technically could go, but there would be hell to pay afterward, as with most parental forbiddances". My powers of clairvoyance can resolve the situation no further.

At any rate, I feel like the important thing is probably less to figure out why this is the case and more to just go, "Yeah, that sucks, I feel for you" because I doubt there's anything we can suggest, so removed from the reality of the situation, that Vector hasn't already considered from a superior vantage point. Sympathy more than advice.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72836 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:28 pm »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72837 on: April 10, 2014, 02:51:13 pm »

Anyway there are about a dozen reasons this could pose a problem ranging from "Parents maintain iron grip on ID cards" to "Technically could go, but there would be hell to pay afterward, as with most parental forbiddances". My powers of clairvoyance can resolve the situation no further.

At any rate, I feel like the important thing is probably less to figure out why this is the case and more to just go, "Yeah, that sucks, I feel for you" because I doubt there's anything we can suggest, so removed from the reality of the situation, that Vector hasn't already considered from a superior vantage point. Sympathy more than advice.
Oh yeah, my sympathies to Vector.

I was merely curious as I can't really imagine how such a problem would occur. (With insurance being handled a bit different here I've had my own insurance card even as a kid.)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72838 on: April 10, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

Friend is telling my about his game engineering major again.
The students, the professors, the atmosphere would be perfect for me. I'd fit right in.

Too bad I'm a hopeless case as far as programming goes.
And I'm stuck in my major, surrounded by people that are utterly alien to me.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72839 on: April 10, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »

Speaking of programming...

I'm seriously beginning to lose the tenuous confidence I had in my ability to program things successfully.

A month or so ago my company had a major glitch in some software that I wrote, which ended up spamming lots of people with needless text messages.  As in, some poor soul got 65 copies of a message.  A few others got 30 something.

Fast forward to three days ago, and something similar happened.  Except this time ten people got 165 messages before we realized it was happening and took corrective actions.

Customers got mad, and that made our business partner mad.  As they rightly should be.  The software we provided doesn't work as advertised and may seriously annoy customers.  That's bad.

So, I've been spending the entire week rewriting large portions of the code base hoping to eliminate the bugs responsible with sweeping architectural changes.  The maintenance window we were given ended 25 minutes ago, and we just pushed the new system live.

In short, I'm presently sitting here, mildly nauseated and terrified of what's going to happen.  One of the features of replacing large swathes of code is that you introduce new bugs!  We spent almost the entire day today testing it to ensure there would be no more problems, but I know there are.  Jesus Christ Himself could walk into this room, point a divine finger at the code and say, "It is good," and I still wouldn't trust this system.  No matter how hard we look and what we try, more bugs are going to slip past and cause massive problems again.  I dread what that's going to mean.

I don't know why I can't get this right.  Sure, developing and debugging is hard, but I've been making stupid and seemingly obvious oversights the entire time I've been developing this system.  The first spam fest was caused by an automatic script not checking if it was already running, which caused increasingly huge numbers of the script to get backed up on the server and send duplicates.  The second spam fest was caused by inconsistencies in the database tables where having a 1 in front of your phone number meant you'd get unending streams of messages.  I even spammed our partner's managers by accident while testing because I didn't look at what data I was sending huge numbers of messages to.

This has been a stressful week.  On top of that fiasco, I'm also a graduate student finding scraps of time to work on research.  I have to give an informal presentation to some engineers at Texas Instruments regarding a graph searching implementation I produced for one of their DSPs.  Guess what I discovered last night?  I misread the algorithm's specification a year ago and have seriously screwed up my implementation.  The presentation is tomorrow, and in short, I can't cram a year of development into the 18 hours until then.

Oh, and I've got to remove more McMalware and McToolbars from someone's computer at some point this week, because I became known for fixing computers in the community and can't say no to save my life.

And of course, let's not forget that on top of all of that, I still need to find time to work on my other job as an employee of the university's high performance computing department.  You know, the one where I take Fortran 77 programs that have been developed iteratively over the past 20 years by non computer science departments and make them run in parallel using OpenMP or GPUs.  Meaningful variable names and code formatting are for suckers, apparently.

It's weeks like this that make me wonder if I'm in the right profession. 
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 4854 4855 [4856] 4857 4858 ... 8167