Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4856 4857 [4858] 4859 4860 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448960 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72855 on: April 10, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

I apparently touched some with my hand without knowing it, touched my face without knowing it, and then a couple days later when shit started itching in my sleep I SCRATCHED ALL THE THINGS
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #72856 on: April 10, 2014, 06:43:45 pm »

Ouch.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72857 on: April 10, 2014, 06:51:49 pm »

I may be swallowed up in the Vector love thing, but Telgin I feel you.
That's gotta suck- and non-IT people seem to have this preconception that all code is made without bugs, and that bugs look like gigantic glaring red dots in the code, and they can be fixed in an afternoon.

Be strong.

Also Vector I gotta ask what's with the touching below the waist.
That doesn't seem like a normal parent thing- unless my dad holds me up with a grab to the leg so he can send me for chips.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:53:57 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72858 on: April 10, 2014, 06:57:52 pm »

You know that spot that's like half lower back and half upper butt?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #72859 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:36 pm »

I apparently touched some with my hand without knowing it, touched my face without knowing it, and then a couple days later when shit started itching in my sleep I SCRATCHED ALL THE THINGS

Reminds me of the time we grew this tiny red peppers in the garden, and I didn't wash thoroughly enough after handling them. We picked a lot of them and put them in a tupperware container to send to my uncle. The peppers ate through the container. We called them insanity peppers.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #72860 on: April 10, 2014, 07:01:38 pm »

I remember accidentally sticking my hand into a bowl of cut up chilli peppers after my hand got a bit cut up. And I forgot.

Dear. God.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72861 on: April 10, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »

Actually it's former KGB, military and various ministry people I know.
And you... invite them to your... huge datcha? God I hope you don't know where I live right now.
You seem oddly concerned about this ancient Russian custom of inviting big burly men to your secluded house in the middle of the woods, getting drunk with them and then having them flog you and each other with tree branches while you are all sitting naked and sweaty in a sauna together.

Really, though, the retired KGB guy has a dacha next to ours and comes around frequently for a drink, the Afghanistan veteran I mentioned some time earlier is a foreman of the brigade who built our house, the late colonel of strategic missile command or whatever this branch of military is called was my dad's college acquaintance, the living colonel, the former minister of finances of something and some other guys who are in various moderately important government positions are my dad's business partners. There's also my mom's former student who is now a district police chief and a guy in the drug control department with whom I took driving lessons and who still owes me money.

Reminds me of the time we grew this tiny red peppers in the garden, and I didn't wash thoroughly enough after handling them. We picked a lot of them and put them in a tupperware container to send to my uncle. The peppers ate through the container. We called them insanity peppers.
I think the people in India use these peppers as elephant repellent.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #72862 on: April 10, 2014, 07:04:49 pm »

Oh no they use a particular kind of pepper. Bhut jolokia I think. I wanna try one of those.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72863 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »

Oh no they use a particular kind of pepper. Bhut jolokia I think. I wanna try one of those.
They're wildly inappropriate for this thread, I assure you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #72864 on: April 10, 2014, 07:11:14 pm »

Speaking of programming...
I worked at a company where a similar bug happened but with e-mails. Basically the e-mail notifications had a bug where they'd sometimes send out hundreds of e-mails to a customer who met specific criteria and were not correctly receiving push notifications about in-coming text messages (hmm, running theme). Every 10 minutes. When we cracked open the several-years-old-code, we saw:
* No unit tests.
* No acceptance tests.
* Code that found a way to break almost every SOLID principle,
This code made sense to someone at some point, but now? Needless to say, fun times were had by all.

If you don't practice TDD/ATDD, perhaps now is the time to push it on management? I subscribe to the belief that even the best programmers can make no assurances even to themselves that their code works if the code is not properly and thoroughly tested, that legacy code is code without tests, etc.

And if you do practice (A)TDD, and the code that did this was what you thought properly unit and acceptance tested, then there was a flaw in the overall testing strategy, find it and learn from it.

Maybe you missed something, and everybody misses something sometimes because everybody is human. A good process means many people have to fail for a bug to get through. Programmers miss things for a reason, Peer Review miss catching something for a reason, QA miss catching something for a reason.

The key is to find out what parts of the process caused all these steps to miss the problem, and take steps to ensure that doesn't happen in the future. Otherwise...well, you're just doing the same thing and expecting different results. And we all know what that's erroneously claimed to be the definition of.

Sometimes it takes a major failure for people to acknowledge a problem everybody knows about. Maybe this is, if nothing else, a time to bring up that problem.

Anyway, my sad: My Nexus 4 screen broke. This phone lasted about a year and a half, and survived numerous falls including a fall down two flights of stairs, and did so with barely a scratch. And then it falls off a neck-height shelf onto the toilet seat, bounces and hits the *other side of the toilet seat* before bouncing again and landing on the floor.

Oh well, at least it didn't go in the toilet itself. I was looking for an excuse to update to a Nexus 5 anyway. But still, kinda a kick in the teeth for it to happen a week after my 3-year old laptop screen cracked. Screens hate me right now it seems.

More likely both devices have had rough lives and were reaching the end of their "power usage operating lifespan" and it's just annoying it happened in such a short time-span.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:27:13 pm by MorleyDev »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72865 on: April 10, 2014, 07:14:22 pm »

I'm afraid even you aren't tough enough to stomach eating something that is so full of industrial cleaner - grade irritant that it makes hungry elephants run away like pussies.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #72866 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:14 pm »

Besides the fact that I used to eat hot sauce that might be hotter than those depending on who you ask. They're rated at like 340k-1.3m of those unit things. The hot sauce I used till most of my romantic partners complained about my mouth being unpleasant was about 1m.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #72867 on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:19 pm »

Bhut jolokia? Aka ghost peppers? I admire your bravery, but really think about it before you do. Think about something literally more than 1,000 times hotter than a jalapeno, going in and coming out. If you think you can handle it, go ahead. But if not, you will have a painful few hours.

NINJEDIT: 340k scoville? Wow. Still, ghost pepper is still more than 3x hotter. Just be aware. You do NOT want to take one unawares.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72868 on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:32 pm »

Besides the fact that I used to eat hot sauce that might be hotter than those depending on who you ask. They're rated at like 340k-1.3m of those unit things. The hot sauce I used till most of my romantic partners complained about my mouth being unpleasant was about 1m.
I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, but I have to go for it.

"Kisses so hot, they burn! Literally."
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #72869 on: April 10, 2014, 07:21:24 pm »

I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, but I have to go for it.

"Kisses so hot, they burn! Literally."

THEY DID.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.
Pages: 1 ... 4856 4857 [4858] 4859 4860 ... 8167