Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4561 4562 [4563] 4564 4565 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430275 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68430 on: December 23, 2013, 08:10:42 am »

As long as we're talking about grocery stores getting away with crap, one of my friends who works at a local chain posted this yesterday.

Scumbag manager tried to convince me it was okay to sweep gallons of gasoline and gasoline neutralizer into a nearby stream.
. . .wat.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68431 on: December 23, 2013, 08:26:23 am »

. . .wat.
USA, baby. Prevailing corporate philosophy seems to be "It's not a crime if you don't get caught, and even if you do, it's still okay so long as the fines cost less than compliance." Rather imagine it's not too different in other economies, but eh.

It was actually kinda' amusing, thinking on it. One of the homework problems I did in a business spreadsheet class was calculating how much safety failure for a product was appropriate given a set of variables. Basically, how much it'd cost to absorb lawsuits and punitive damages vs. testing and safety measures. In retrospect, it was one of the most cold hearted numbers problems I've ever dealt with. "How many people can get maimed or die using this product before working to prevent it stops being a net monetary loss?" Naturally, with the initial set of variables it was unprofitable to improve testing and safety, haha.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:58:36 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68432 on: December 23, 2013, 08:57:15 am »

. . .wat.
USA, baby. Prevailing corporate philosophy seems to be "It's not a crime if you don't get caught, and even if you do, it's still okay so long as the fines cost less than compliance." Rather imagine it's too different in other economies, but eh.

It was actually kinda' amusing, thinking on it. One of the homework problems I did in a business spreadsheet class was calculating how much safety failure for a product was appropriate given a set of variables. Basically, how much it'd cost to absorb lawsuits and punitive damages vs. testing and safety measures. In retrospect, it was one of the most cold hearted numbers problems I've ever dealt with. "How many people can get maimed or die using this product before working to prevent it stops being a net monetary loss?" Naturally, with the initial set of variables it was unprofitable to improve testing and safety, haha.

Just like in Fight Club...
This is a blank sig.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #68433 on: December 23, 2013, 09:33:55 am »

Me and my younger brother have just spent the best part of the last 12 hours being sick everywhere, this has caused the death of my favourite onesie, somebody shall pay, probably the tuna samwhich.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68434 on: December 23, 2013, 11:46:33 am »

. . .wat.
USA, baby. Prevailing corporate philosophy seems to be "It's not a crime if you don't get caught, and even if you do, it's still okay so long as the fines cost less than compliance." Rather imagine it's not too different in other economies, but eh.

As someone who works for a local non-profit who deals with our the health of our marine ecosystem, that is really, really saddening. I'm feeling kinda depressed right now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68435 on: December 23, 2013, 12:35:03 pm »

As long as we're talking about grocery stores getting away with crap, one of my friends who works at a local chain posted this yesterday.

Scumbag manager tried to convince me it was okay to sweep gallons of gasoline and gasoline neutralizer into a nearby stream.
. . .wat.
"It's got neutralizer in it, what could be the problem!"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68437 on: December 23, 2013, 12:45:24 pm »

Sooooo inter family gifts today...

Good news, upgrade to my shittop.

Bad news(?) it has Windows 8 and I can't convince my dad to put 7 on it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68438 on: December 23, 2013, 12:49:56 pm »

Unless you have compatibility problems, Windows 8 isn't that bad. Install Classic Shell and you'll rarely have to look at that POS interface again.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68439 on: December 23, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »

Isn't it a bit early for Christmas?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68440 on: December 23, 2013, 12:53:40 pm »

Unless you have compatibility problems, Windows 8 isn't that bad. Install Classic Shell and you'll rarely have to look at that POS interface again.

Heh. Well I'll wait on definite opinions until I get steam and all that on it. For now I wait for updates :P

Isn't it a bit early for Christmas?

My family does this thing where the five of us exchange our gifts.

'Santa' still comes on the 25th though :P

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #68441 on: December 23, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »

My grandfather's cancer has progressed to the point where he has days to live. I knew this was coming eventually, but...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #68442 on: December 23, 2013, 04:11:40 pm »

My grandfather's cancer has progressed to the point where he has days to live. I knew this was coming eventually, but...
Fuck cancer :/

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68443 on: December 23, 2013, 04:37:07 pm »

Cancer's a terrible thing. My sympathies to you and your grandfather.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68444 on: December 23, 2013, 04:51:14 pm »

You have my condolences.
Pages: 1 ... 4561 4562 [4563] 4564 4565 ... 8167