Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4559 4560 [4561] 4562 4563 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423385 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68400 on: December 22, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »

Finishing A Canticle for Leibowitz again. I always am amazed at how much that book hurts. I still love it, though.
I was very 'meh' on that book. I tried to like it, but I just couldn't.
Yeah, that's pretty fine. It largely has to do with how deeply it resonates with my perspective on a lot of things. I get caught up in that, and a book that's still somehow, impossibly, a message of hope even after the world is subjected to a second nuclear winter, implied to be potentially worse than the first, which established the setting, is one that's going to take that connection and turn it into a direct line to the feels.

Basically, it's got as much or more to do with me as with the book. So, yeah, it's really not going to hit everyone.

Also, some fairly significant spoilers in the transparency? I don't know. Better safe than sorry.
Couldn't you use a spoiler tag?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68401 on: December 23, 2013, 12:01:19 am »

Amount of money wasted on food in the past month due to being depressed and not able to adequately take care of myself: $100.

*sigh*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68402 on: December 23, 2013, 12:14:41 am »

If it makes you feel better, that's about my monthly frivolous expenses in a good month. I really, really need to reign that shit in. If it helps keep you fed when you're too exhausted by depression-stress to cook properly, I wouldn't call it entirely wasted, anyway. May next month be better all around!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68403 on: December 23, 2013, 12:18:22 am »

What happened? Did you go out, let it rot from neglect, or did you finally get the bill from the epic cook off with Solifuge?

Mysad: all of the "I just learned Python/Java/C++ in a week, and now I'm makin' teh gaemz lolololol" threads that have cropped up lately. I must be a huge failure forever at programming, as after two years of compsci, I still can't get the @ on the screen, let alone control it. I don't get it. I'm supposed to be some kind of Urist McSmartypants. Maybe I'm just good at looking smart and taking tests.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68404 on: December 23, 2013, 12:19:38 am »

Mysad: all of the "I just learned Python/Java/C++ in a week, and now I'm makin' teh gaemz lolololol" threads that have cropped up lately. I must be a huge failure forever at programming, as after two years of compsci, I still can't get the @ on the screen, let alone control it. I don't get it. I'm supposed to be some kind of Urist McSmartypants. Maybe I'm just good at looking smart and taking tests.
Oh thank Armok, it isn't just me.

Wait, shit, that means other people are sad. That's not relieving at all.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68405 on: December 23, 2013, 12:25:46 am »

Yeah. . . I know, I just get kind of depressed when I've ended up spending all this money on chai tea I already had a box of instead of on, say, computer games >_>  Also, where the fuck do competent people keep their receipts?!  I've just got a huge pile on my dresser that keeps on getting bigger, and it's really, really ugly!

Oh well.  I'll figure this out later... for now, Imma buy all the Tomb Raider games and Dragon Age: Origins :I  That'll clear things up.

(I got Christmas geld to cover it, so wevs)

What happened? Did you go out, let it rot from neglect, or did you finally get the bill from the epic cook off with Solifuge?

It was back when I was still taking the bus to work, so if I got out the door 5 minutes late it meant being 20 minutes late to work.  Couple that with nightmares every night -> wanting very badly not to go to bed until too exhausted to stay awake any longer -> waking up right before I need to leave, and I ended up buying tea and pastry for breakfast (because I was desperate for caffeine, because I didn't ever get enough sleep) and something at the grocery store for lunch.  That's on top of, yes, stuff I had either rotting or losing quality.

Like I said.  Kind of depressed about it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68406 on: December 23, 2013, 12:33:22 am »

Yeah. . . I know, I just get kind of depressed when I've ended up spending all this money on chai tea I already had a box of instead of on, say, computer games >_>  Also, where the fuck do competent people keep their receipts?!  I've just got a huge pile on my dresser that keeps on getting bigger, and it's really, really ugly!
Have you considered digitalizing them? There are all sorts of handy handheld receipt scanners.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68407 on: December 23, 2013, 12:35:02 am »

Oh well.  I'll figure this out later... for now, Imma buy all the Tomb Raider games and Dragon Age: Origins :I  That'll clear things up.

(I got Christmas geld to cover it, so wevs)

I'm not exactly a competent people, but I keep my receipts in a foot long plastic tub, along with about 30 ish dollars in change, my bank statements, and some other assorted paperwork. It's a hideous mess.

Anyway, my sad is frikkin' Christmas. I just hate this month. December and October are officially on my 'Months I fucking hate' list.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68408 on: December 23, 2013, 12:35:55 am »

I'm a little surprised that people keep receipts ???

I mean, for expensive stuff that you might want to return, sure. For everything else...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68409 on: December 23, 2013, 12:38:58 am »

If it's any consolation for the wasted food, my mom bought about 10 pounds worth of ham and beef yesterday just because it was on sale.

Not only did we not have the space for it in the freezer, but the reason it was on sale was because it had already expired.

I have a massive binder for all my receipts, and they are separated by category. Very messy though, I have trouble sorting them because I don't pay attention to my own categories. My mom on the other hand has several envelopes, all sorted by month. She gets a dozen every year just for receipts.

Receipts are important come tax time, especially when you own your own business or purchase your own work supplies. If you're a student, you can take note of book/tuition expenses as well.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68410 on: December 23, 2013, 12:44:24 am »

In my pockets, until I realize I don't know how to itemize my taxes anyway and it would not save me anything meaningful, then the garbage. Unless it's something huge, in which case I have a Serious Business Drawer in my closet where I keep legal documentation and suchlike. Ah, but the day my bank's electronic checking history fails me will be a sad one, indeed.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #68411 on: December 23, 2013, 12:53:11 am »

If it's any consolation for the wasted food, my mom bought about 10 pounds worth of ham and beef yesterday just because it was on sale.

Not only did we not have the space for it in the freezer, but the reason it was on sale was because it had already expired.

I have a massive binder for all my receipts, and they are separated by category. Very messy though, I have trouble sorting them because I don't pay attention to my own categories. My mom on the other hand has several envelopes, all sorted by month. She gets a dozen every year just for receipts.

Receipts are important come tax time, especially when you own your own business or purchase your own work supplies. If you're a student, you can take note of book/tuition expenses as well.
"Boss, this ham's spoiled."
"Make people want to buy it more."

I wish there was still a stupid thread.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68412 on: December 23, 2013, 01:00:20 am »

-snip-

In our defense, the reason we didn't know it was spoiled was because the "On Sale!" sticker covered the expiration date. On all of them.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68413 on: December 23, 2013, 01:34:15 am »

-snip-

In our defense, the reason we didn't know it was spoiled was because the "On Sale!" sticker covered the expiration date. On all of them.
Preeeeeetty sure the FDA would be interested in hearing about this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68414 on: December 23, 2013, 01:37:55 am »

-snip-

Preeeeeetty sure the FDA would be interested in hearing about this.

Grocery stores are pretty much impossible to cause trouble for via Health Department shenanigans. Most grocery stores will get DOZENS of health code violations EVERY SINGLE VISIT, and nothing bad ever comes of it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 4559 4560 [4561] 4562 4563 ... 8167