Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4544 4545 [4546] 4547 4548 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9415958 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68175 on: December 09, 2013, 08:29:01 am »

Inb4 butchered Nietzsche philosophy?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #68176 on: December 09, 2013, 08:47:36 am »

I'm timid, I'm afraid. Afraid of the future, afraid of examining myself too closely. I've worn a mask for too long, and I'm finding it difficult to put it back on and pretend everything is okay. I look out through the cracks in my mask and see nobody is coming to help me. Nobody can see them. Nobody can see me.

The trick in life, it seems, is to fall gracefully.
Everybody wears masks, as far as I know. Some people's mask cover more of their face than others.
The only problem is most people are too selfish to notice other people also wear masks and need help.

Indeed. We all wear masks to some degree. It's okay to wear a mask. Sometimes though, you have to ask for help. Some people care more than you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOGJ0rIwfU
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68177 on: December 09, 2013, 08:56:31 am »

My girlfriends sick with glanduar fever, meaning she both had to miss one of our few possible trips to visit one another, a different social event of her's, and one of her friends birthdays, along with a both of her university stuff, so she'll be busy during the holidays and we'll have even less time to see each other...

She nearly was hospitalised for fluids but her needlephobia meant she wouldn't accept an IV drip so she's just suffering through swallowing liquids. She's sick, and I can't help, see, or even talk to her. Makes me feel kinda useless.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #68178 on: December 09, 2013, 10:06:28 am »

The blank spots in the data are all divide by zero errors. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING T_T

Basically, I ran 360 of the identical single pea plant patch simulation except that I shifted the starting date by 1 day, for the entire 360 day year. I'm getting random divide by zero errors and I can't tell why~

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #68179 on: December 09, 2013, 10:15:58 am »

It's the deception of social masks that I tire of- they're inherent to my every social interaction and present even when just dealing with myself. It's probably where my lack of self-trust has arisen- how can you trust yourself when you cannot be true even to one's own? At least, with a book or game or some such, you needn't respond to you- it's a subversion of deception while delivering emotion, thought, and challenge. Escapism, ho?

In any case, I've taken a few swings at Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil over the past few days. He's... Kind of a douche, from what I'm to understand. First forty pages, he rips on every other philosopher, proceeds to build his own ideas off the ones he's just shot down, makes a handful of assertions based only on his mincing of words, and then makes claims that segregation of social status is and should be a thing and that moral indignation is bad and that an emotional response to any of this makes you an ingrate.

He rubs off as a racist, elitist prick, but what do I know, I'm just another pleb that wouldn't understand his message anyways. :U

I always saw Freud in a similar light. If I'm to argue against him it's because I've got some repressed sexual attraction to my mother?  ???

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68180 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:44 am »

It's the deception of social masks that I tire of- they're inherent to my every social interaction and present even when just dealing with myself. It's probably where my lack of self-trust has arisen- how can you trust yourself when you cannot be true even to one's own? At least, with a book or game or some such, you needn't respond to you- it's a subversion of deception while delivering emotion, thought, and challenge. Escapism, ho?
I..highlighted something I guess would help.
Perhaps you should modify your outlook on interactions a bit there...the world isn't a casket of deception and lies, with everyone willing to stab each other's guts out or make fun of the other for a minor difference, so my experiences tell me.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #68181 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:16 am »

All this talk about masks leads me to a thought of how wearing a mask is almost despicably entertaining act, once you realize it is you who is doing it and are able to put the mask on and off yourself. When you out on a mask when and how you want and you choose the mask yourself. Mask-bearer becomes mask-maker. All for your entertainment.

Never mind me, just rambling a bit.
Carry on.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68182 on: December 09, 2013, 01:22:36 pm »

I dunno, I think the whole masks thing is a bit misleading. Being social creatures, we react in different ways to different situations as a matter of course. Calling different reacting-methods 'masks' implies that there is some sort of real face underneath, but being alone is just another social situation. If there is a You then it's some sort of total from which these masks are derived, and trying to show it to people would make as little sense as trying to type by replacing every letter with the full ASCII table (even just to yourself, unless you somehow have total awareness of and control over everything in the dark and alien corners of your own mind). Human brains don't work like that. There are always masks people are most comfortable with of course, but calling them the 'real you' is doing yourself a disservice. You're inherently more than that.

Or, more cynically: it's masks all the way down.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68183 on: December 09, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »

Personally I define a "mask" as a behavior you use when outright lying or deceiving other people about yourself. Say you're a huge fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but find yourself in a situation with people who hate it. You might downplay or avoid disclosing your fandom, or even lie about it. That's a mask.

Being unafraid to communicate things about yourself is what I define as "mask-less".

Now, in the real world, it still might be prudent to wear one. It's not a good idea to yell at your boss, for example, even if you're angry and think they're a moron.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68184 on: December 09, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »

Fair, but I tend to hold the opinion that people know so little about themselves that it becomes communicating what you want to believe about yourself (consciously or not), which brings it right back to deception again. Self-deception, even. Like how I want to believe I'm making sense and/or not sounding insufferably elitist right now O_0

Not trying to pass moral judgements at all; I just like the mechanics of it.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68185 on: December 09, 2013, 03:02:15 pm »

Also fair, but remember different people partake in different levels of introspection and thus know varying amounts about themselves.

I feel I know myself pretty well, though of course there are still times I surprise or disappoint myself.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68186 on: December 09, 2013, 03:06:27 pm »

So the simmering infection I've had has finally sprung up just in time for finals week. Glorious. Hopefully it continues to be weak.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68187 on: December 09, 2013, 04:27:29 pm »

I can't get Winulator to detect Caesar3 on my phone. :<

Edit: Unless I put it on my actual phone and not SDCard. So much for the internet guiding me!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:29:04 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68188 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:34 pm »

He rubs off as a racist, elitist prick, but what do I know, I'm just another pleb that wouldn't understand his message anyways. :U
Prick? Definitely, that might be his main appeal. Elitist? Sure, but not in a conventional sense. Racist? Quite the opposite - the reason he stopped being friends with Wagner was the latter's rampant antisemitism, and during his last years he started to consider himself Polish out of disgust at the social and political currents in the Kaiserreich.
It's easy to mistake Nietzsche for a nihilist/Nietzsche Wannabe, but he's actually much closer (paradoxically) to an Anti-Nihilist (as defined by TVTropes).
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68189 on: December 09, 2013, 04:39:07 pm »

[It's easy to mistake Nietzsche for a nihilist/Nietzsche Wannabe,
That'd be like calling Bruce Lee a Bruce Lee Clone.
Pages: 1 ... 4544 4545 [4546] 4547 4548 ... 8166