Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4187 4188 [4189] 4190 4191 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424306 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62820 on: June 13, 2013, 12:22:48 pm »

I can imagine the software 'shipping' charges.....
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62821 on: June 13, 2013, 12:28:48 pm »

Two other people failed their tests. Out of four total in this group. At least I wasn't the only fuckup.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62822 on: June 13, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »

Isn't there some stuff with taxes being involved too. I mean, taxes in Europe are significantly higher than US taxes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62823 on: June 13, 2013, 02:26:43 pm »

Apparently my mom is crying in the other room because I'm immature, naive, and don't make 80k a year fresh out of undergrad.  And won't watch cooking DVDs on command.

I hate this.  I wish I had enough money to live life outside of the surveillance zone.  And maybe be permitted to make a mistake once in a while without it being all "VECTOR IS UNPREPARED FOR ADULT LIFE AND IS GOING TO BE CURBSTOMPED"

I'm a 23-year-old published author with a perfect GRE score, math degree, competence in five languages and a shitty job--but a job.  I'm a virgin, I've never drunk, I've never done any drugs, I don't listen to rap or hiphop, I haven't been on a date in almost a year now, and I put in 12-hour days pretty consistently when my compatriots graduate and just ~take a year off~.  I don't know what else they fucking want.

I can do all this and I still feel like a fucking failure, and it doesn't matter how many times I tell them that they're destroying my self-esteem for no reason, they just keep on doing it like if I go crazy again it will somehow make me have a job.

Haha.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62824 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:51 pm »

I'm a 23-year-old published author with a perfect GRE score, math degree, competence in five languages and a shitty job--but a job.  I'm a virgin, I've never drunk, I've never done any drugs, I don't listen to rap or hiphop, I haven't been on a date in almost a year now, and I put in 12-hour days pretty consistently when my compatriots graduate and just ~take a year off~.  I don't know what else they fucking want.

.....and now *I* feel like a failure by comparison.  :-\

You're awesome, chica. Don't ever forget that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62825 on: June 13, 2013, 02:42:09 pm »

Seriously. You're doing incredibly.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #62826 on: June 13, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »

Seriously. You're doing incredibly.
this

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62827 on: June 13, 2013, 03:08:09 pm »

I've been restless for a bit, but I really just need to write it down so I can finally just lay down and get some normal sleep.

I'm really confused, Hipster Girl that I was dating, I can't get over how intensely attracted to me she always seemed, and she flat out says that she wants to see me again, but then she doesn't return my texts at all. It's been a long time since our second date, but I'm just in the dark here, and I'm not sure how to approach this situation.

For some reason I just have this foreboding premonition, like this shit is just doomed to die. Like I'm being karmically punished for something I did a long time ago, and fate just feels I haven't gotten enough hurtin' my way yet. It's cause of this feeling that I've been so restless and upset for the last couple days, I'm just glad I haven't done anything stupid.

My brain is trying to counsel me this. Maybe I should just forget about her for now and just focus on trying to meet other girls? I'm not sure...

EDIT:

But yeah Vector, you can have a sense of self-accomplishment in life, cause you've accomplished things. Don't doubt the awesome things you've achieved.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:09:50 pm by JoshuaFH »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62828 on: June 13, 2013, 03:11:12 pm »

I just took a poo that felt like fire, smelled like brimstone and was as wet and squishy as an angry jellyfish. It was pretty awful.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #62829 on: June 13, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »

Could we switch lives for like, a day? I couldn't handle the stress of yours, but damn what I wouldn't give for the perspective of knowing what some of those things feel like.

Ninjaedit: That was directed at Vector, I have no wish to experience brimstone jellyfish. My condolences.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #62830 on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:36 pm »

Could we switch lives for like, a day? I couldn't handle the stress of yours, but damn what I wouldn't give for the perspective of knowing what some of those things feel like.

Ninjaedit: That was directed at Vector, I have no wish to experience brimstone jellyfish. My condolences.

xD

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62831 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:48 pm »

To the Quotes thread!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62832 on: June 13, 2013, 03:19:00 pm »

....can't.....breathe....laughing...so...hard

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62833 on: June 13, 2013, 03:25:29 pm »

Here's an idea: Vector, if you'll pay travel expenses, I'll go see your mother and explain in excruciating detail just how much of a failure my life has been. My shit academic record, every fuckup, every attempt to drag myself out of this hole only to dig myself deeper. She'll be ecstatic about your accomplishments by the time I'm through, guaranteed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62834 on: June 13, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »

Yeah, well.  Thank you.

I think that knowing what those things feel like to you would be the important thing.  I have, like, a leak in my self-esteem system.  It stays about level and doesn't tend to go up or down very much.  "Are you trying, Vector?  Y/N."

(Y)

So for me, 24 hours after accomplishing anything I stop caring about it.  At all.  Well, in most cases.  Sometimes I'll care for a couple of days (graduation, GREs, book-publishing), but after that it just somehow stops mattering.  It's like "okay, I guess that happened, but it's not making me feel good anymore.  What's the next big thing?"

....can't.....breathe....laughing...so...hard

This is pretty good, honestly :D

Here's an idea: Vector, if you'll pay travel expenses, I'll go see your mother and explain in excruciating detail just how much of a failure my life has been. My shit academic record, every fuckup, every attempt to drag myself out of this hole only to dig myself deeper. She'll be ecstatic about your accomplishments by the time I'm through, guaranteed.

Hahahaha that's cute :3

Naw.  She's just scared that she'll have worked her ass off all her life and that it won't mean anything for our family, in terms of actual monetary situation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4187 4188 [4189] 4190 4191 ... 8167