Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4185 4186 [4187] 4188 4189 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423889 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62790 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:09 pm »

When was the world ever stable? Was it when the entire Soviet bloc was crumbling? When we were on the verge of nuclear holocaust? When pretty much all of Africa was trying to gain independence? World War II? World War I? Earlier?

Stability isn't even a good thing, not if it is holding up a terrible system or way of life, and there are plenty of those left in the world.
Pre-humanity?

I imagine it was pretty stable then.
I can personally tell you no.
I don't know what they expected to happen when they kept making the Shoggoths more powerful and more intelligent.
Well, what would happen if you introduced into Murica a thing that not only drove you around by turning into a car, but cooked, cleaned, etc, for you, was controlled by your thoughts, and could shapeshift to complete any task?
They'd be overrun in a century.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62791 on: June 12, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »

When was the world ever stable? Was it when the entire Soviet bloc was crumbling? When we were on the verge of nuclear holocaust? When pretty much all of Africa was trying to gain independence? World War II? World War I? Earlier?

Stability isn't even a good thing, not if it is holding up a terrible system or way of life, and there are plenty of those left in the world.

I would argue that it was easier to perceive the world as more stable during the later phase of the cold war. Nuclear holocaust was a looming threat, but you could at least categorize the world into a good and evil side, while pitying or ignoring the 3rd world. After 1990, a lot of people subscribed to the "end of history" worldview for a short time, until they realized they had no clue what was going on anymore.

Perception of stability has also a lot to do with age. As you get older you realize that a) the world is not stable at all, but b) change, even if seemingly abrupt, takes a lot of time. I don't see the world as stable, but I don't expect social/political/military conflicts to be resolved in my lifetime anymore, when I was expecting revolutions and sudden changes at a younger age. Sudden progress is most often an illusion.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62792 on: June 12, 2013, 02:15:13 pm »

I don't know, I don't even feel like it's just this board.  I feel like external society is changing pretty quickly, too.  Things are getting much harder than they were.

I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but I feel like tensions are just rising in general.  I've been feeling that for a very long time, but I think it's starting to get really tangible.  People are drawing stricter lines between each other and getting more derisive about those who don't fall on their own side.  There's a plethora of issues I could have brought up 5 years ago and almost anyone would shrug at them, but now almost anyone has very strong opinions on.
I felt the exact same way. In the early-mid 1990s. So I dunno if it's just a certain age that you hit and there's a loss of innocence and idealism, or if we're just cyclical as a society (cause granted, I've been comparing the batshit crazy of the last several years to the batshit crazy of the 1990s for some time) or hell, maybe it is getting worse and I'm just so jaded that I don't really feel it.

Regardless, I would be greatly saddened to see any of y'all leave. Hiatuses are to be expected, but permanent departure would make the world a little bit dimmer and colder for all of us.

I'm sure that to some extent it's cyclical.  I don't think it's an age thing.  I'm no less an idealist than I was at 17.  I carry most of the same convictions.  I'm just wiser about how and when I express them, and I know what to expect from people more often.

It's not a rise in the age of people I'm exposed to, either.  I've always hung out online with people of all ages.  Since becoming a working adult, I've similarly spent my time surrounded by people of all ages.  People much older than me that I've known most of my life, even my own parents, who used to be mostly apolitical are now developing very strong opinions that differ greatly from the weaker ones they held in the past.  I've seen people who have been best friends for over 30 years split apart by radical shifts in political belief in the last few years.

I dunno... I admit that the things that are happening now have happened all throughout history.  I see people all the time going "Look at ___ happening!  What is America coming to?!" and I point out to them that it's been going on for decades.  On the other hand, it seems like the stakes are constantly rising.  Surveillance has been a controversial issue for forever, and sophisticated spy networks have been established since the World Wars at least.  Yet today's make them look childish.  The Rodney King beating invoked a huge riot.  Today such acts are caught on camera with regularity, and rarely do they provoke much of a response because we're so desensitized to them (and intimidated).  The environment... well, I don't think I need to even say anything about that.  And unrest has usually been localized in the past.  Today there's a revolutionary undercurrent pretty much all over the globe, and dissent is becoming a tight-knit international community.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #62793 on: June 12, 2013, 02:20:44 pm »

Essentially, the massive revolution that will 'overthrow the system, man' will only happen when people are so cynical that no one thinks it will happen.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62794 on: June 12, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »

People much older than me that I've known most of my life, even my own parents, who used to be mostly apolitical are now developing very strong opinions that differ greatly from the weaker ones they held in the past.  I've seen people who have been best friends for over 30 years split apart by radical shifts in political belief in the last few years.
Here it's quite the opposite. Political consenus is that some things are "without alternative". Differences between political parties are relatively minor compared to even 2 decades ago. Many opinions are no longer represented by any (democratic) party.
There is less partisanship among people and many are disillusioned about politicans doing whatever they want anyway.

The Rodney King beating invoked a huge riot.  Today such acts are caught on camera with regularity, and rarely do they provoke much of a response because we're so desensitized to them (and intimidated).  The environment... well, I don't think I need to even say anything about that.  And unrest has usually been localized in the past.  Today there's a revolutionary undercurrent pretty much all over the globe, and dissent is becoming a tight-knit international community.
Rodney King was pre-internet for most people, right? Today you can choose among millions of videos like these, among myriads of kitten clips.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62795 on: June 12, 2013, 03:03:43 pm »

The Rodney King beating invoked a huge riot.  Today such acts are caught on camera with regularity, and rarely do they provoke much of a response because we're so desensitized to them (and intimidated).  The environment... well, I don't think I need to even say anything about that.  And unrest has usually been localized in the past.  Today there's a revolutionary undercurrent pretty much all over the globe, and dissent is becoming a tight-knit international community.
Rodney King was pre-internet for most people, right? Today you can choose among millions of videos like these, among myriads of kitten clips.

Obviously the solution is to catch a police force on tape brutally beating kittens.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #62796 on: June 12, 2013, 03:05:23 pm »

I can get you a soldier throwing a dog off a cliff, but the kitten beatings will cost extra.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62797 on: June 12, 2013, 03:40:55 pm »

Looks like I'm the last man standing in my roleplaying group.  Kind of sucks.

PPE: Never mind, looks like the group is probably now finished.  Cool.  The only thing I was really looking forward to is now gone.

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #62798 on: June 12, 2013, 03:45:39 pm »

Picked up the latest album of Blackmoor's Night. It's really just not as good as some previous albums, and much of it just feels like a rehash of sounds they've already done. Worse, they're the sounds that I don't like.

I don't have too many actual groups whose music I get. Sad to see one of them fall into the 'probably not worth buying anymore' category.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62799 on: June 12, 2013, 03:47:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The film was great, but the characters were all total nobs :P

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #62800 on: June 12, 2013, 04:06:50 pm »

visited my grandmother, she is frightened and in pain, and didnt recognize me, and can barely lift a finger or open her eyes.this is so much harder to deal with than death.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62801 on: June 12, 2013, 05:27:42 pm »

Been miserable times for me and the wife, work related. She's been coming home crying because she's so tired of working for the medical industry. She says she can't stand to lie to patients anymore and (as is standard in the medical industry in America) if you aren't willing to lie to your patients you get fired.

:/

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62802 on: June 12, 2013, 05:46:52 pm »

That's... pretty horrific D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #62803 on: June 12, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

Been miserable times for me and the wife, work related. She's been coming home crying because she's so tired of working for the medical industry. She says she can't stand to lie to patients anymore and (as is standard in the medical industry in America) if you aren't willing to lie to your patients you get fired.

Well, that's rather terrible. What kind of work does she do? And what kind of lies are they having her tell?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #62804 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:03 pm »

D:

Isn't there any other area in the medical industry there? (I'd ask more on the Lying part being that I'm in training for medical practice but..that'd be too rude of me to trouble you in that troubles..) but I'm very curious on why they would employ lying as a..standard.
Pages: 1 ... 4185 4186 [4187] 4188 4189 ... 8167