Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3765 3766 [3767] 3768 3769 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465254 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56490 on: December 17, 2012, 05:36:26 pm »

Everyone North and South though should just stop and switch to nuclear/import.
Whatever they tell you, nuclear's not exactly profitable, and I don't even want to talk about the waste and meltdown issues...

What's import? (And... where's it from?)

I personally would like to see a methanol economy (for planes, cars, energy storage etc.) coupled with Desertec-type projects and huge offshore wind parks.
Decentralization is all nice and dandy, but for large amounts you need large facilities.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56491 on: December 17, 2012, 05:57:09 pm »

I personally would like to see a methanol economy (for planes, cars, energy storage etc.) coupled with Desertec-type projects and huge offshore wind parks.

Well, there's also an immense technological and market inertia against switching fuels, because, for one thing, there's the "if it's worked for this long, why change it" mentality in the market, and everything's been optimized to burn petroleum-derived fuels and tossing that much R&D is unthinkable for some, and secondly you'd need an entire secondary fuel distribution and storage network, something that'd be a nightmare to finance, especially against current oil-derived monopoly, and investors kinda want returns within their own lifetime.
Funnily enough, it'd likely be easier to start with planes, power plants and diesel trains because there's only so many of the things and they have relatively few fuel storage locations.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56492 on: December 17, 2012, 06:02:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. Nuclear power, once set up is pretty much neglible in cost and vastly cheaper than fossil fuels, as well as having the benefit of not releasing entire fuck-tons of CO2 into the atmosphere.
2. The waste is still a helluva lot better than whatever coal plants produce. That's saying a lot.
3. Meltdowns never happen now as long as correct measures are made. I give exception to Fukushima because well... Damn their entire country shifted that much more beneath the sea. Only so much you can prepare for - and it's still better than oil spills and the pollution from coal plants!
4. Hopefully Sri Lanka will start making this stuff soon and the rest will follow suit.
5. I don't know much about methanol as an energy source really. Will look into that.

~And now I have to make an energy thread~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56493 on: December 17, 2012, 06:05:28 pm »

That's a strained pair of analogies if I've ever seen any. You're making it seem as if the people performing violent crime to get money for another hit or back their drug ring in some way or other are completely without consent in this matter, much like an animal directed to a purpose it can't grasp intellectually, or a child unable to protect one's self from abuse. This, frankly, is insulting to those in legal and/or medical problems due to drugs because it assumes them completely powerless and irresponsible and exonerating them of all blame, and insulting to victims of abuse because the analogy trivializes their ordeal.
Perhaps you should take a breath and try to understand the analogy before refuting it? Because you didn't seem to understand it in the slightest. I will spell it out for you: In the child example, taking drugs = missing bedtime. It is a decision made by someone. The government responds by "hitting them in the head with a hammer" AKA ruining their lives either forever or for quite a long time. Once we've missed our bedtime, once we've made that mistake, we ARE completely powerless to prevent the government from abusing us, ostensibly for our own good. Because we "might" have done something bad while staying up late. Even though most people who stay up late a couple of times end up turning into perfectly fine adults with no lingering negative effects.

And the dog analogy was about the mindset expressed - the mindset that forms the core of violent racism and prejudice time and again. Saying its okay to hurt people because someone that is in some way like them did something you don't like, someone who is, in fact, NOT them, and did not do the thing that made the other person bad, is a dick move. Yes, a person has a choice whether or not to "be a dog" in this situation , but here's the thing - most dogs are not bad animals! Being a dog isn't actually implicitly a bad thing! I am not saying people are animals - I am saying that being okay with all animals of some type being hurt and tortured against their will simply because a different animal once hurt you is fucked up.

The "abuse" most drug users suffer in this analogy is not the drug, it's YOU, and society, and specifically the government. And you don't even HAVE to "miss your bedtime" to endure those hammer blows, since the government has a wee bit of an accuracy problem when it starts swinging, in case you haven't noticed.

The rest of your replies are nearly as worthless.
The idea of the war on drugs is to try to dismantle the massive organized crime institutions that have been formed through drug distribution and ancillary crimes.

The war on drugs created these criminal organizations. They literally could not exist without it. The rest of your your point here rests on this completely unsupported statement, so I will ignore it except to comment on

The fact that someone gets mangled by the gears is of little importance in the short run.
\
I would imagine it is of significant importance to those getting mangled. You may think the end result is worth it, and I might accept that, but to think that people's lives, the lives of real people, are "of little importance"? That makes a heartless fucking bastard in my book. If you aren't trying to help people, if you don't care about them because people are "of little importance", what exactly is the point of opposing drugs to begin with?

Secondly.
Legalizing it would be a message that it's okay to experiment with high risk drugs and get addicted and/or catch AIDS/Hep C/god-knows-what-else,

We could just legalize the low risk drugs like pot/lsd/ecstasy/mescaline though, right? You'd be fine with that?

because even if the state takes a monopoly on it, it'll still be cheaper to buy from back-alley dealers because they have lower production, transport and distribution costs and can undercut the state-backed competition.

Can you give an example of where this happens? Because the state-controlled drug distribution system for alcohol in New Hampshire begs to differ, on account of how it drove the vast majority of the previously problematic bootleggers out of business.

If it's a law, and it doesn't unjustifiably limit your freedoms, you fucking obey it, as silly, ridiculous, or pointless as it may seem at first glance.

Something being a law doesn't make it good. Slaver was the law, you know. And I know, I know, you attempt to throw out the ridiculous bullshit of "it doesn't unjustifiably limit your freedoms", except, of course, that it does, and it was completely 100% intended to. Slavery had a far better set of justifications than the drug war ever did, but we still decided THAT was bullshit. Meanwhile, pot and LSD, at least, were made illegal for pretty much the sole purpose of suppressing cultural movements. If that's not unjustifiably limiting freedoms, you've got a very narrow opinion of freedom. And you've not exactly provided a justification for the drug laws, so I'm pretty sure they currently

The moment you willingly disobey a law, even doing it as a political statement, you do so at your own expense, fully knowing the consequences. If you're not willing to accept those consequences, how'bout, say... not breaking the law?
Presumably for the reasons anyone ever breaks the law - because the likely consequences are perceived to be worth the likely risk. I think the more important consideration here is that for most laws, there is a moral consideration preventing people from doing the activity anyway - for drugs, that factor doesn't exist. Drugs have a variety of clear benefits - you're probably not going to become a successful all-star athlete without breaking a couple laws, for example - it's expected of you. You might be stymied in your quest for spiritual enlightenment or even "mere" social acceptance. It's easy to see how one could justify breaking the law. Now how do you justify enforcing it, and pushing people into a hell that is likely to make their poor decision's consequences far worse, encourage future poor decisions, and restrict them from the options that lead to a positive outcome? (i.e. sending them to jail, killing their career opportunities, forcing them into contact with a bunch of far harder drug users and forcing them to interact with criminal elements to survive)

Note that this is a law both our previous presidents have broken, and yet you support a system that would have destroyed their lives? (Well, assuming they were poor, of course)

I am a lawful person. This is why I do not do illegal drugs. But this does not make those laws "ok" - considering that those who make said laws seem to flout them with impunity half the time, I sometimes wonder why I bother at all. But following the law doesn't mean you need to make excuses for bad laws. People are stupid, they get caught up in the hype and make terrible mistakes. The fact that so many people have been willing to break these laws is the primary thing that will cause them to be fixed. And honestly, it's hard to blame them, when for most drugs the primary negative consequence is that someone more powerful doesn't like it and really, really wants an excuse to fuck you over for it (while pulling in a large paycheck for the effort).

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56494 on: December 17, 2012, 06:07:14 pm »

1. Nuclear power, once set up is pretty much neglible in cost
False. A good fission power plant is insanely costly. We've been dicking about with adding one additional reactor for about a decade now and still haven't built it.

and it's still better than oil spills and the pollution from coal plants!
The residents of Prypiat and half of central and eastern Europe would like to disagree.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56495 on: December 17, 2012, 06:09:09 pm »

False. A good fission power plant is insanely costly. We've been dicking about with adding one additional reactor for about a decade now and still haven't built it.

once set up

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56496 on: December 17, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »

The residents of Prypiat and half of central and eastern Europe would like to disagree.
3. Meltdowns never happen now as long as correct measures are made.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56497 on: December 17, 2012, 06:22:09 pm »

I didn't go to jail. Or prison. And I actually got a phone number from a woman. So. That was surprising, to say the least.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56498 on: December 17, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »

I didn't go to jail. Or prison. And I actually got a phone number from a woman. So. That was surprising, to say the least.
* kaijyuu cheers!

I'd say bust out the party booze, but ya know, drug court :(
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56499 on: December 17, 2012, 06:23:18 pm »

Wooo!

Yay hans!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56500 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:07 pm »

We can bust out the party sparkling water for now. And I should probably go to the happy thread now, but I'm lazy. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56501 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:07 pm »

In the long term, it's way cheaper. That's the way France chose. Early nuclear plants, costly at start. That's there is electricity there with only the fragment of price other countries pays for it.
Also, a coal/fuel plant isn't cheaper either (and much more expensive on the long term).

Badly, you can't rely your electricity production on only one ressource. If the demand change, you need to be able to change your production. Predicting the consumation of electricity is a very important part of producing it. You can't store it, so you need to be the more precise possible.
Nuclear are very slow to change the production. They mostly serve as base production, that isn't changed, except for maintenance/stuff (most maintenance don't need it stopped though).
Fuel/coal is used to change production based on more monthly consumation (winter consumes much more).
Wind, solar, are extremely unreliable, as you can't even be sure of the constant flux (and an absurdly low production), though it can serves if there's peak hours or such.

This is nearly impossible to not rely on at least a few different sources of energy. And it's completely impossible for wind/solar.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56502 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »

Wrong thread, Hans!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56503 on: December 17, 2012, 06:31:10 pm »

wooh, go Hanslanda! You are the best, hans down!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56504 on: December 17, 2012, 06:38:22 pm »

That....that....that is like the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen when you end up in court.

Was the woman a judge? If the woman was a judge I can explain this. If not, then you may be a latent psyker.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3765 3766 [3767] 3768 3769 ... 8167