Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3766 3767 [3768] 3769 3770 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465303 times)

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56505 on: December 17, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »

The residents of Prypiat and half of central and eastern Europe would like to disagree.
3. Meltdowns never happen now as long as correct measures are made.

Well, system failure compounded with human operator error gets you at worst Chernobyl, at best Three Mile Island. And in an emergency, human error is very easy to worm its way in. Also, since most of these things are built and staffed by people well trained and fully aware of what'll happen if they screw up, statistically, the likelihood of catastrophic failure per operating hour is negligible, especially because we've seen what happens when one of these things blows up. Which is why protests against building nuclear power plants are silly.
But on the other hand, if one will go off, it'll leave a mark.
Hell, even assuming everything goes as intended, you're still either stuck importing the fuel, or having all sorts of worried people nosing around in your strategic affairs if you start enriching nuclear fuel on your own.
As for costs, it is, indeed, the initial investment that's the primary deterrent. Over here, with what we've been giving the Russian fuel companies in profit for heating alone ever since the USSR collapsed we could've had that reactor built six times over.

My point is, as PanH so well explained, that it's naive to lob nuclear power (or most any one project) as a panacea for energy problems.

I didn't go to jail. Or prison. And I actually got a phone number from a woman. So. That was surprising, to say the least.
Happy to hear that.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56506 on: December 17, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »

How'd you manage that?  You went from about to fantasize about that one ugly female guard all year to getting multiple numbers!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56507 on: December 17, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #56508 on: December 17, 2012, 08:08:55 pm »

It is ethically impermissible  for me to give a homeless client whose case is assigned to me anything of value....

I will obey this rule; I fear I do not understand it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56509 on: December 17, 2012, 08:12:10 pm »

I... isn't...

... doesn't your service taking the case count as something of value being given? I mean. What counts? Almost everything has value, or can be assigned a value. That's a ridiculously vague way of putting it, yes?

E: Also, intermediaries? "You! Random bystander. I will give you ten dollars if you give this person a five dollar meal."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:15:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56510 on: December 17, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »

I'm just wondering if you are allowed to get him court clothes. :/ It seems like stuff directly applicable to you winning his case would be an exception...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56511 on: December 17, 2012, 08:33:03 pm »

I didn't quote the exact rule as written, but trust me, it's pretty iron clad. I'm sure there is some reason for this, though it escapes my ability to understand it. Regardless, it's actually enforced, so I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.

"Legal Ethics" and morality are almost always mutually exclusive.

I often really like the idea of a corporate accounting job or something. Numbers go in, addition and subtraction happen, different numbers come out. There you go.... I do not enjoy my work often, partially because of things like this. It's also why I try not to talk about it if possible.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:46:21 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56512 on: December 17, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »

Of course, if some Samaritan who is not you suddenly decided to bequeath your client with things of value....
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56513 on: December 17, 2012, 10:29:14 pm »

Of course, if some Samaritan who is not you suddenly decided to bequeath your client with things of value....

The problem is, if we thought of it, then the people who regulate this have too.... [shrugs].

Honestly, that is one of the big things that people sink themselves with.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56514 on: December 17, 2012, 11:03:22 pm »

It's not like it's any secret that the law is incredibly biased against the poor and especially homeless, or that this is a common feature of legality in any society.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56515 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:15 pm »

It's not like it's any secret that the law is incredibly biased against the poor and especially homeless, or that this is a common feature of legality in any society.
Law in the modern world... It is fair to people.

...But it does not stop law from saying what it thinks is not people.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56516 on: December 17, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »

Pretty much.  The way I see it, the main purpose of social structures since the beginning of civilization has been to divide human beings into varying degrees of personhood, in order to make exploitive and negligent behavior excusable.  The fight for expansion of rights has been a fight to expand definitions and perceptions of personhood.

Kropotkin also says it pretty well -- "The law is an adroit mixture of customs that are beneficial to society, and could be followed even if no law existed, and others that are of advantage to a ruling minority, but harmful to the masses of men, and can be enforced on them only by terror."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56517 on: December 18, 2012, 12:17:23 am »

My favorite law quote:

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich and the poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

I'm not exactly sure how relevant it is but I like hearing myself talk so I'm going to post it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56518 on: December 18, 2012, 12:18:16 am »

My favorite law quote:

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich and the poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

I'm not exactly sure how relevant it is but I like hearing myself talk so I'm going to post it.
Wasn't that Truean's sig for a while? I know I've read it on this forum.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56519 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:15 am »

I think I've heard it on this forum multiple times, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 3766 3767 [3768] 3769 3770 ... 8167