Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3763 3764 [3765] 3766 3767 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465957 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56460 on: December 17, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »

Christmans songs and carols.  Walk downtown if you have one.

Santa Singing

Santa also singing.

And good luck Hans, see you on the other side!  Well, see your avatar. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56461 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:37 pm »

Good, luck, Hans! I'd miss our resident junkie ;)

What's he being tried for, anyway?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56462 on: December 17, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »

Parole and its many, many redundecies and unforgiving nature?  And the parole is for stuffs. . .
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #56463 on: December 17, 2012, 03:27:37 pm »

I dunno, having been kicked nearly to death by someone tweaking out on meth, I find it hard to be sad about the war on drugs.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56464 on: December 17, 2012, 03:29:04 pm »

The war on drugs is what drives many of these people to crime in the first place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56465 on: December 17, 2012, 03:30:29 pm »

The war on drugs is about limiting the admittedly harmful effects of narcotics.  How they go about it is clearly not working, however.  But I haven't a real clue about how to fix that.
PKs DF Mod!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56466 on: December 17, 2012, 03:36:37 pm »

The war on drugs is about limiting the admittedly harmful effects of narcotics.  How they go about it is clearly not working, however.  But I haven't a real clue about how to fix that.
Legalization and education.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56467 on: December 17, 2012, 03:42:14 pm »

Legalize the stuff, put a tax on it to deal with the medical costs of drug use and abuse, start a campaign similar to the anti-smoking campaigns, establish a government semi-monopoly (only licensed single-purpose shops may sell drugs and equipment), and watch all kinds of benefits: HIV rates going down because of clean needles, lower crime rates because of lower prices, higher employment rate among junkies due to destigmatisation, less organized crime because you took away their main source of income, fewer dead mexicans because of less organized crime, more money availible for sensible stuff because we'd no longer lock up black people (you don't honestly think that drug arrests are not discriminatory, right?) because oof a few grams of weed, and Afghanistan suddenly becoming a very pleasant country for our soldiers because the Taliban and other guerrillas can no longer afford weapons or ammunition.

I'd much prefer it if people just didn't take drugs, due tot he harmful side effects.

But, y'know, there'll always be people who take drugs...
You might argue that prohibition drives down these numbers. But it's not about the numbers - it's about the overall impact we allow drugs to have.

TL;DR:
Legalization and education.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56468 on: December 17, 2012, 03:46:08 pm »

Yeah.  Legalize pot, possibly some of the safer psychedelics, decriminalize everything else, dealers should be punished, possessors should be fined at worst and referred to a treatment center.

Drug testing at work also doesn't sit well with me.  If the goal is improved productivity why not test people's productivity instead?  If he's a junkie and it's harming his work, you should be able to tell he's not working well without a drug test, and if it's not harming his work it's none of the employer's business.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56469 on: December 17, 2012, 03:47:59 pm »

I dunno, having been kicked nearly to death by someone tweaking out on meth, I find it hard to be sad about the war on drugs.
The war on drugs is the government/populace equivalent of hitting kids in the head with a hammer because they missed their bed time.

Sure, they may have been up to something bad. Sure, they should probably go to bed on time. But caving in the skulls of those you are supposed to be caring for is a bad, bad thing, even if you think some of those kids were probably up to something that deserved skull-caving.

You're basically saying that you find it hard to be sad about the government purposely ruining lives and killing folks for profit and fun. And that's... well, it's an unsympathetic position, to put it lightly. Equivalent to "I'm not sad about dogfighting rings because a dog bit me once". It's kind of disturbing, to be honest.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56470 on: December 17, 2012, 03:49:08 pm »

LSD is a good candidate for legalization after marijuana. It was only banned in the first place due to a moral panic situation, and there is evidence of it being very useful in therapy.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56471 on: December 17, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

Pot's the same way actually.  That Emperor has no Clothes conspiracy theory about the hemp industry is actually counter-productive considering the real reason is way worse (Hint:  the real reason is two words and rhymes with black people)
Shoes...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56472 on: December 17, 2012, 03:54:07 pm »

MDMA (aka ecstasy, though that name's used for all kinds of shite) as well - incredibly useful for psychiatrists, but research has almost completely stopped because it's a scheduled substance.

"Why's it harmful?"
"It's scheduled, it must be harmful."
"And why's it scheduled?"
"Because it's harmful!"
The Bay12 postcard club

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56473 on: December 17, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »

Pot's the same way actually.  That Emperor has no Clothes conspiracy theory about the hemp industry is actually counter-productive considering the real reason is way worse (Hint:  the real reason is two words and rhymes with black people)
Snack sheeple!? Oh god, no!
No Gods, No Masters.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56474 on: December 17, 2012, 04:07:40 pm »

I was thinking of snickers.

And fuck i feel bad for Hans.

Also Helgoland's E.S.T song was really awesome. I also love the symbolicism of the woman jumping into a pool from a springboard.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 3763 3764 [3765] 3766 3767 ... 8167