Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3313 3314 [3315] 3316 3317 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423299 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49710 on: August 01, 2012, 01:49:29 am »

Potential mental health problems aren't really something you can deal with yourself, though. Even people with less severe cases who eschew treatment aren't really dealing with it themselves. Eventually, if things get bad enough, no matter how much you try to conceal it, no matter how much you try to make sure it remains your problem and yours alone, other people are going to be affected by it. Especially your parents. Don't think of it as another burden for them because you aren't a burden to your parents. And if you can't prevent yourself from thinking you're a burden, remember that mental illness is a much greater burden on your family than any monetary one.

Further, I'm not sure what country you're in, but if you're in the US there are advocacy groups such as NAMI that will help you find low-cost treatments. NAMI in particular has affiliates in every state.

And it's true for mental illness as well as other illnesses, what you don't address now only becomes more costly in the future.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49711 on: August 01, 2012, 01:56:25 am »

Written in response to kaijyuu; must have clicked post just after fqllve did:
Well, it's not really doing much right now. I get depressed about one or two weeks per month, on average. Other times I'm... the easiest way to describe it is somewhere between hypomanic and manic. Jumping from a less severe point of one to the other on an otherwise normal day isn't uncommon. It's kind of painful to deal with, but I can live with it. At least, I have for the last year, which is how long I've been noticing it. It has been getting worse, though.

Response after fqllve:
Another thing is that I'm not sure I have the problems I think I do. If I go to the doctor and learn that I'm just abnormally moody and intolerant of others (or, rather, something that fits better), then it will have been a silly waste. Of course, I can't be sure because it hasn't been diagnosed, so I'm not sure how much that point amounts to.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #49712 on: August 01, 2012, 02:10:12 am »

If you go to a doctor and find that out you don't have bipolar disorder there are still counseling options if you think they're necessary. It's worth a shot, and I'm betting it won't be as expensive as you think it is. Private practice therapists are expensive, but so are private practice general practitioners. Government-funded clinics, on the other hand, can be pretty reasonably priced, if not as high quality. And if your parents are low income (as mine was) plenty of private clinics have a sliding pay scale based on income. An advocacy group like NAMI can help you find them.

Regardless of all that, I don't think dropping a hundred dollars or so to make sure you don't have a debilitating mental illness would be silly at all. Even if you're just having mood or personal problems if they're severe enough that you think they might be bipolar disorder then you should definitely go see someone.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49713 on: August 01, 2012, 02:20:02 am »

I've been mostly convinced that I should. My parents don't have low income, as both of them are working decently-paying jobs, but I took a several-hundred dollar college course earlier in the summer and am signed up for another and multiple dual-credit courses this fall, as well as normal high school funds, so I'm already draining a lot of money from them right now. I also don't know how I could bring this matter up and justify going somewhere about it; the anxiety there is the main thing keeping me back right now.

Thanks for helping me with this and dealing with my complaints, oh kind Internet people. Your words shall not be forgotten.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49714 on: August 01, 2012, 09:32:28 am »

Oh wait, what are the keys still doing on my keychain?

Guess I get to pay the fine, drive out to take care of things when the sun comes up in a few hours, and completely invalidate the last 14 hours of frantic work, before pulling a double shift at the lab to make up for having to take a "day off" yesterday.

<_________________<

Apartment life man.  That young apartment life.

Suppose that's not a light at the end of this tunnel then. Probably just oncomming traffic.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49715 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:50 am »

Suppose that's not a light at the end of this tunnel then. Probably just oncomming traffic.

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel...
Was just a freight train coming your way.

*SOLO*

As if anybody needs to hear about it, my computer is doing "better", in that I let it on overnight and it crashed at some point (like it always does when I leave it on, probably a power surge as could be the whole route of the problem).  This is actually a good thing, because since it crashed from the desktop, BIOS let me boot into safemode (which I can't figure out how to do on command).  File transfer times are still slow and inconsistent, but I'm not getting any read errors even on files that did before and nothing is going crazy on me, so at least my files should be safe as long as I stay on top of the transfer.

Gonna try that CrystalDiskInfo thing after some more transfers and see what it says.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #49716 on: August 01, 2012, 10:32:42 am »

I was on Omegle today.

You know, casual cybersex is really very sad.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49717 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:51 am »

Especially when it's two guys both pretending to be underage lesbians.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49718 on: August 01, 2012, 10:37:25 am »

Nah, then its just funny.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49719 on: August 01, 2012, 10:42:25 am »

??? I guess the truest sign I'm only attracted to men (gay?) is that I didn't know that really happened/that it wasn't just a joke. Cause, you know, I'm like a million miles away from anything having to do with thinking about naughty things with women. [shrugs].

You learn something new everyday. Hopefully one day it will be the location of the sock monster lair so I can reclaim all the lost single socks. Sounds like a terrible or awesome role playing game. It would have everything: an entire species of bad guy who are ethically ok to kill, presumably a big bad to beat, treasure/reuniting and rescuing all the lost socks. Given that we're talking about socks, it could be sufficiently cute/cuddly too.... Somebody call Hasbro/WotC and tell them I have D&D crack to get the young kids hooked early.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:45:06 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49720 on: August 01, 2012, 10:50:07 am »

<_________________<

Fail whale. Fail whale everywhere.

Dude, that sucks.

Try not to give yourself cranial trauma via palm. :P
If you're lucky, maybe you'll have a sympathetic person at the rental agent who will let you off lightly. Then again, that's unlikely enough here in Australia, and I'm not sure where you live or what real estate agents are like. :-\ Good luck, and stuff.

I was on Omegle today.
You know, casual cybersex is really very sad.

It's funnier doing the video chat version. Sure, you get a few horrifying nude people with webcam shoved up against... you know, but most of the time you just get incredibly sad, lonely-looking people hoping for an attractive member of the opposite sexsex they find attractive.

Then you can brighten their day by playing upbeat ukelele songs whilst wearing a Halloween costume. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49721 on: August 01, 2012, 10:52:04 am »

I remember a video of somebody in a pokemon suit simulating a pokemon battle in omegle.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49722 on: August 01, 2012, 10:56:25 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:41:56 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49723 on: August 01, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »

I have a feeling I've put too much thermal paste on the CPU, but it's already closed down, and I can't check to be certain now, oh well, will give it a few days to see if it continues overheating, then redo the whole thing if needed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49724 on: August 01, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

I have a feeling I've put too much thermal paste on the CPU, but it's already closed down, and I can't check to be certain now, oh well, will give it a few days to see if it continues overheating, then redo the whole thing if needed.
what brand did you use?
Pages: 1 ... 3313 3314 [3315] 3316 3317 ... 8167