Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3311 3312 [3313] 3314 3315 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423473 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49680 on: July 31, 2012, 12:40:49 pm »

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago, I think. It had something to do with a corrupted startup driver. I'm not sure how it got started back up, but apparently fixing registry errors with CCleaner fixed the issue, and Defraggler fixed the fragmentation of my registry that caused it. If you can get it to boot at all, it could be an option. (Though back up your stuff first, of course.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49681 on: July 31, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

Throw it into a volcano and sing songs to sooth the gods so they will reincarnate your computer! (mayby with even more ram!)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49682 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »

So I was supposed to bring home my cat today since he was on "vacation" and because my mother was moving from that mice-infested shack (and this country, too). Someone left the door open one hour before the train left the station and now he's loose somewhere out in the bush. While I also went there to help them haul the stuff from the shack (and from the now sold villa) out of the tiny place, my time was limited as I needed to head back and finish a damn project. So not only am I unable to look for him (thanks, university!) but there's no one living in that shack either. The only thing that has made me keep my sanity is knowing that the landlord will keep an eye out for him (and so will my father that lives within walking distance, whenever he gets around to it).

Seriously, I'm 200 km away from the cat that has lived with me for 8-9 years and there's nothing I can do about it now.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49683 on: July 31, 2012, 03:12:04 pm »

@Barbar and Aqizzar: You guys need new computers? Well, I have just the thing for that! :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49684 on: July 31, 2012, 04:37:27 pm »

So I was sitting down on the couch, and notices a wasp crawling around on the armplace, so I quickly swatted it and swept it away. I lie down and put my thin blanket around me as I often do, and just start watching the tele when I feel something crawling on my left big two. So I kick away to remove the bug/feeling, and BAM! I'm stung by a bee. Instant karma. Almost have to admire the bastard. I picked her up with the swatter and released her outside again, to live her last moments in freedom. She has earned my respect.
Love, scriver~

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49685 on: July 31, 2012, 05:40:57 pm »

I have a feeling it was hit by static or a power surge, which means even if I fix it, this could happen again.  And I haven't backed up any files since I got this computer.  I'm really really hoping that the harddrive itself isn't fried, but if it is, I just might have to die with it.  I'm going to try to plug it into my old desktop today (which itself was on its last legs when I replaced it) and try for a miracle so I can back up mah junk.

The good news is, it did finish turning on by the time I got home, and successfully loaded to desktop.  The bad news is, it's not software corruption, I don't think.  It gave me an error message that hard disk problems were detected, and that I should simultaneously backup my files and stop using the computer immediately.

Challenge accepted.  All non-essential programs are killed, backup is in progress, with all the nail-biting terror of a covered wagon rounding a crumbling mountain pass.

I'm not sure what it speaks to that the first thing I thought was "well it's not like there's anything on here that's actually irreplaceable anyway".  Which is preposterous.  But I am making sure to back up to my external in stages, going with the most important stuff first.  Most important-ish.

(I'm online with my work laptop of course.  Which just might be my home laptop for the next couple days.)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49686 on: July 31, 2012, 06:03:25 pm »

I have a feeling it was hit by static or a power surge, which means even if I fix it, this could happen again.  And I haven't backed up any files since I got this computer.  I'm really really hoping that the harddrive itself isn't fried, but if it is, I just might have to die with it.  I'm going to try to plug it into my old desktop today (which itself was on its last legs when I replaced it) and try for a miracle so I can back up mah junk.

The good news is, it did finish turning on by the time I got home, and successfully loaded to desktop.  The bad news is, it's not software corruption, I don't think.  It gave me an error message that hard disk problems were detected, and that I should simultaneously backup my files and stop using the computer immediately.

Challenge accepted.  All non-essential programs are killed, backup is in progress, with all the nail-biting terror of a covered wagon rounding a crumbling mountain pass.

I'm not sure what it speaks to that the first thing I thought was "well it's not like there's anything on here that's actually irreplaceable anyway".  Which is preposterous.  But I am making sure to back up to my external in stages, going with the most important stuff first.  Most important-ish.

(I'm online with my work laptop of course.  Which just might be my home laptop for the next couple days.)
i would like a smart scan results from you so we know whats causing the failure.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49687 on: July 31, 2012, 06:09:15 pm »

Unless Smart Scan is something that comes with Windows, not an option.  I'll I've got is HP's manager thingy telling me the that the drive in port 0 is "At Risk".  I (somewhat accidentally) told it it's not at risk.  All of a sudden WinRAR is working a lot faster.  Not great but faster.  Go fig.

But yeah, I'd don't have a clue what the problem could be, or what I'm doing that could exacerbate it.  One question I would have, to anyone who knows this stuff, is would it be safer to plug the harddrive into another computer as a slave to back up the contents?  I kinda think it'd be less intensive on the drive than doing a shitload of data processing natively, but of course the drive would still have to run.  And if specific sectors are knocked out or something then it wouldn't matter either way.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49688 on: July 31, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »

Put your ear to the side of the case. If you can hear clicking (as opposed to the normal chatter), your HDD is dead. If not you may simply have large-scale data corruption that is being reported as damage. THere are tools to analyze this more completely. Plasing the HDD into another pc is risky. If you have data corruption caused by a virus, then that can spread to the uninfected box.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49689 on: July 31, 2012, 06:25:06 pm »

The landing of the Mars Rover Curiosity is schedule for 12:31 AM on August 6 my local time; odds are I won't get to see it.

EDIT: Damn 12-hour time; just use 0031.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:27:58 pm by Jervill »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49690 on: July 31, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »

Put your ear to the side of the case. If you can hear clicking (as opposed to the normal chatter), your HDD is dead. If not you may simply have large-scale data corruption that is being reported as damage. THere are tools to analyze this more completely. Plasing the HDD into another pc is risky. If you have data corruption caused by a virus, then that can spread to the uninfected box.

No clicking, doesn't make a sound.  But I did just get a Read Error from WinRAR on a file it tried to archive.  I could be up shit creek here.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49691 on: July 31, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »

The landing of the Mars Rover Curiosity is schedule for 12:31 AM on August 6 my local time; odds are I won't get to see it.

I'm staying up to watch it :D
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49692 on: July 31, 2012, 07:05:56 pm »

I'm staying up to watch it :D
what time is this, GMT?

I WANNA SEE IT!

and how will you watch it? is it on TV, NASA's website or what?
NASA website would be the prime choice, dunno if the NASA channel will show (i don't know if i even have that anymore)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49693 on: July 31, 2012, 07:25:21 pm »

I WANNA SEE IT!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49694 on: July 31, 2012, 07:27:47 pm »

I WANNA SEE IT!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/
Bookmarked :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3311 3312 [3313] 3314 3315 ... 8167