Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3263 3264 [3265] 3266 3267 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459324 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48960 on: July 06, 2012, 01:32:22 pm »

No! GlyphGryph! How will we ever start that commune now!?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48961 on: July 06, 2012, 01:38:35 pm »

What? No! You can not be going GlyphGryph to Why! :(
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48962 on: July 06, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »

Just a couple weeks ago he was asking for opinions on potential new avatars. That's not something I'd expect from someone planning on leaving. I hope he's okay.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48963 on: July 06, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »

Quote from: glyphgryph
I was serious, it was getting to easy just to go to Bay12. I have things I want to do and accomplish, and terrible willpower. As long as Bay12 was always there for me... well, my incentive to do any of those other things was less. Significantly so.
I had to cut the strings.

It's not just Bay12 either.
Everything but my email.
And the Cataclysm forum, at least until I finish my last obligation there.
A near-complete virtual suicide.
An opportunity to start over new.
You see, one of the most fundamental traits of me, as a person, is this.
I abhor being comfortable.
And I found Bay12 very, very comfortable.

:'(
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48964 on: July 06, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »

I understand where he's coming from. Still sad to see him go.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48965 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »

*slowly waves goodbye to glyphglyph*
bye.. come again if you want to science again... please:'(

*sadly plays bagpipes*
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48966 on: July 06, 2012, 02:04:32 pm »

Seeya glyph, I'll miss ya man.   You were one of the ones I recognized by name instead of avatar.  Good luck.

--------
Finally came to the conclusion that all this Dr Pepper I drink can't be good for me.  I'm actually starting to cough a lot, usually because of some feeling of something in my throat, or mild nausea. 

I'm not going to try to go cold turkey and go straight to water (at this point more than a small cup of straight water actually makes me very nauseous) but I'm thinking of switching to a tasty sounding mixture of seltzer and grape juice I found online.   Probably go for a glass of that between sodas to work it down slowly if I start getting caffeine withdrawal.  Probably still not the healthiest stuff in the world, but I cleaned this computer room 5 days ago, and I'm already surrounded with ...28 empty Dr Pepper cans, so it would likely be an improvement.   

I'd be happy to get that down to 1 or 2 a day.  You know, normal obese American levels.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48967 on: July 06, 2012, 02:08:37 pm »

I was serious, it was getting to easy just to go to Bay12. I have things I want to do and accomplish, and terrible willpower. As long as Bay12 was always there for me... well, my incentive to do any of those other things was less. Significantly so.
I had to cut the strings.

It's not just Bay12 either.
Everything but my email.
And the Cataclysm forum, at least until I finish my last obligation there.
A near-complete virtual suicide.
An opportunity to start over new.
You see, one of the most fundamental traits of me, as a person, is this.
I abhor being comfortable.
And I found Bay12 very, very comfortable.

It always makes me sad when people stop doing something that brings them happiness because they fear self-control issues. It's like a special brand of self-sabotage, both robbing yourself of happiness, and avoiding dealing with the problem itself. Distancing yourself from something that tempts your self control isn't a solution, so much as it is avoiding resolving it entirely; you can retreat from a problem your whole life, and though it'll be nice for a time, it will keep popping up here and there following you as you go. If you want to really deal with it, don't remove yourself from the temptation, but immerse yourself in it and face it head-on.

Willpower isn't a trait so much as a mental toolkit, and one you need to build and become proficient in through practice. I speak from experience on this... I'm still working through this lesson myself.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48968 on: July 06, 2012, 03:31:24 pm »

Yeah gotta agree with them. You don't fix problems by avoiding them. Unless you're using the internet to avoid your problems, I don't think giving it up will help at all. Procrastination isn't solved by removing distractions.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48969 on: July 06, 2012, 03:49:37 pm »

Eh, I understand when some people need to cut things out of their lives. Drastic change is one of the best ways to shock yourself into actually getting things done.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48970 on: July 06, 2012, 04:26:56 pm »

Well I've often enjoyed your posts GlyphGryph. Hope it all works out for you.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48971 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:36 pm »

It's a sad thing, but sometimes people recognize when they need to cut ties, simplify, and spend some time in meditation or some time alone.  I'm sure he'll be back, a bit wiser and stronger than before :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48972 on: July 06, 2012, 08:44:27 pm »

Bai Glyph :(

Finally came to the conclusion that all this Dr Pepper I drink can't be good for me.  I'm actually starting to cough a lot, usually because of some feeling of something in my throat, or mild nausea. 

I'm not going to try to go cold turkey and go straight to water (at this point more than a small cup of straight water actually makes me very nauseous) but I'm thinking of switching to a tasty sounding mixture of seltzer and grape juice I found online.   Probably go for a glass of that between sodas to work it down slowly if I start getting caffeine withdrawal.  Probably still not the healthiest stuff in the world, but I cleaned this computer room 5 days ago, and I'm already surrounded with ...28 empty Dr Pepper cans, so it would likely be an improvement.   

I'd be happy to get that down to 1 or 2 a day.  You know, normal obese American levels.

At my house I have bottles of Seltzer Water (can get for cheap. Don't get tonic water!), and large squirt jars with different flavors. It is nice to be able to have chocolate, peach, or whatever soda water you want. It is a lot healthier than sugar and chemical filled can sodas as well as being cheaper.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48973 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »

I actually made the mistake of tonic water once.  My boss had me pick up some seltzer on my way back from a housecall once, saying he had a cold and it's really good for it.  I went to a corner store and when I asked for seltzer, the cashier asked if I meant tonic water.  I looked at it, and it looked about what I expected from seltzer but when I brought it back it definitely was not.  It apperantly had corn syrup and crap in it. :P

Boss said I would know the difference if I drank alcohol heh.    I didn't think about big squirt jars though.  I was thinking I would have to buy some off the shelf juice or something.  Never thought about those water flavoring things.  I'll have to look for those too when I go shopping for this stuff tomorrow.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48974 on: July 06, 2012, 09:43:48 pm »

Seltzer water is... Its just a little flavored I think, or maybe just carbonated.
Tonic water has quinine in it. It is named tonic water because quinine helps treat/prevent malaria, and the Brits in Africa used to have to drink Tonic all the time, but they didn't like the taste, so they mixed it with booze (geniuses) and a great tradition was born: Gin and Tonic.
Also, tonic water doesn't taste so great. Its not bad, but not very nice either.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 3263 3264 [3265] 3266 3267 ... 8167