Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2711 2712 [2713] 2714 2715 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429714 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40680 on: December 12, 2011, 04:23:38 pm »

Mmmm yeah, sounds like it could be solved with some communication. Be up front about stuff in relationships instead of expecting them to realize it on their own.

Unless of course he's pushy. Pushy people aren't good.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40681 on: December 12, 2011, 04:47:58 pm »

Yeah, hey guys.  I've been through a bit of a wringer.  Won't be here long--probably just over part of winter break, which hasn't started yet, but I'm taking a bit of a break (finals just started).

On the other hand, I'm going to be published in the American Mathematical Society's journal in the reasonably close future (not for mathematics, but as a co-translator of something).  That's not too bad.

Squidhead is pretty pushy and made it rather clear that he expected a lot more touching than I'm willing to put up with at this point.  It's not that I didn't talk to him; it's that he let me know what his expectations were.  We'll be talking on Friday after my last final, but I'm bracing for impact.  I don't really want to go back through the whole "getting used to someone's body" thing again until I'm dating someone I'm really attracted to again, and it'll be fun.  I also don't feel like going through the whole history of abuse right now, and explain why glomping may be cute in various shows, but it scares the hell out of me.  I put in an effort to drop hints to all the things that he might need to know (bisexual, genderqueer, AS, some baggage/self-esteem issues--last time I pretended to be something other than I was, I was upbraided for being evil, so I'm trying to cover the bases this time), but apparently it wasn't clear.

My mom will be giving me crap for not giving in, but then, she's not exactly the one driving the monster truck here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #40682 on: December 12, 2011, 05:08:47 pm »

My only advice for you is to keep in mind that a fair amount of touching/cuddling is what's expected in a relationship. Not saying you need to follow that expectation, but make sure you're aware that that's probably where he's coming from. In this case what you're comfortable with is outside of what most people expect so you may need to make sure you explain you side of it well.

If he's worth keeping, he'll respect your feelings on this and agree to move slowly. If not, well, better to end a relationship that won't work out earlier rather than later.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40683 on: December 12, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »

Vector, please report to Happy Thread for Great Welcome Party and the usual ceremonial Eating of your avatar.

No, but seriously. It makes me sad that your first post is in the Sad Thread. Please share a Happy Cookie with me.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40684 on: December 12, 2011, 07:35:56 pm »

Heh, I even updooted my avatar, just for you :3

Meph, as far as the dude goes, I am more than capable of being a snugglemuffin.  It just takes time... and I really didn't want to have to have Serious Conversation this soon.  Also takes me time to figure out if I'm attracted to someone or not.

What pricked me is that he's shown other instances of being bad about boundaries previously in this little relationship, so his expression of entitlement to cuddling right after I asked him not to grab or glomp me rang poorly.

In any case, I'm still kind of in relationship depression limbo, so it'd probably be better for me not to date, anyway.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #40685 on: December 12, 2011, 09:39:22 pm »

Egads. It would appear our 2D game project causes my computer's graphics drivers to implode every time it tries to render. That was unexpected. D:

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40686 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:52 pm »

So apparently if you want to be competitive on college applications you should have four (4) years of foreign language. Last year I moved in the middle of the year and all the language courses were full.

So now I will probably have to take two languages in one year, and I really don't want to take two different languages at once. I like my German. I am going to get them all jumbled up and blerggh.

And I started looking at colleges and I still don't have any idea what I want to do. I used to want to be a biologist or something similar, but now I'm considering a system admin or other IT type of degree. But yeah, it just drives me crazy that I'm supposed to choose what the majority of my life will be about in just 3-4 years from now, max. And then there's the whole money part of going to college, which will suck unless I can get lots of scholarships. And even then it'll suck.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40687 on: December 12, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »

And I started looking at colleges and I still don't have any idea what I want to do. I used to want to be a biologist or something similar, but now I'm considering a system admin or other IT type of degree. But yeah, it just drives me crazy that I'm supposed to choose what the majority of my life will be about in just 3-4 years from now, max. And then there's the whole money part of going to college, which will suck unless I can get lots of scholarships. And even then it'll suck.
Still no idea what I want to do after three years of classes. Doesn't help that advisors suggested I try out a number of things but registered me for generic classes every degree would use and ultimately railroaded me down a general education course.

Something will come up.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40688 on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »

Anything tech-related isn't really dependent on language credits, in my experience. I have friends whio went to FIT and MIT without a single one. Even for most decent-to-exellent non-tech schools, one or two years should be adequate. (This is for US primarily, but it was also true for the few European schools that my classmates looked at.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40689 on: December 12, 2011, 10:27:45 pm »

Gah, I feel stupid, both in this forum and in real life. Each time I try to talk to someone/type something here, I feel like I'm not making any sense. Perhaps I should try reading something intelligent or do something that actually improve my life.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #40690 on: December 13, 2011, 02:14:41 am »

Drunken guy stopped me asked for money to get home and I dared not to say no. There goes my lunch money. At least the guy wasn't as intimidiating as the last one, I thought I was going to get mugged for sure back then. :S
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40691 on: December 13, 2011, 03:21:29 am »

If you're worried about being robbed just say your skint and can't even pay the bills this month. They should at least feel sorry for you. Admittedly this is the advice I was given for if someone offers to sell me drugs as there was a local group who robbed anyone who refused.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40692 on: December 13, 2011, 06:59:56 am »

If you're worried about being robbed just say your skint and can't even pay the bills this month. They should at least feel sorry for you. Admittedly this is the advice I was given for if someone offers to sell me drugs as there was a local group who robbed anyone who refused.
That's pretty good advice right there. Although I'm not sure if I could use it. Not that I don't look like I could be skint, but I really hate making people feel sorry for me. It makes me feel absolutely horrible.
Of course, stuff like this rarely happens where I live anyway and lying is definitely preferable to getting mugged, so I'll keep that in mind. Always better to be prepared.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:02:01 am by MC Dirty »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40693 on: December 13, 2011, 07:03:42 am »

I recall an article in Joystiq that a gamer was robbed, but the robber changed his mind after he heard the guy tell him it was his birthday. The robber strangely felt sorry for him, wished him a happy birthday and decided to leave him alone.

I could scrounge up the relevant article, but it's too old to be of any worth.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40694 on: December 13, 2011, 07:06:34 am »

Of course, stuff like this rarely happens where I live anyway and lying is definitely preferable to getting mugged, so I'll keep that in mind.

People tend to think that stuff doesn't happen, until it happens.
I used to think muggings were rare too (and in fact I live in one of the countries in Europe with less crime rate overall). Have you checked the statistics? You might get surprised http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime-total-crimes

The one mugging I did experience (not the only one I've learned about) ended up with me getting beaten up badly, despite the fact I cooperated. My advice is to run as fast as you can.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:08:55 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 2711 2712 [2713] 2714 2715 ... 8167