Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2656 2657 [2658] 2659 2660 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455122 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39855 on: November 16, 2011, 11:30:18 am »

I have a dangerously expensive mental wishlist of books. Now it looks like my assets will let me choose between Aleut and Three Kingdoms. It's agonizing.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39856 on: November 16, 2011, 11:31:33 am »

Or write a virus that just pops up a message telling you to verify things before downloading them.
as if windows doesn't bother about stuff enough.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39857 on: November 16, 2011, 11:44:14 am »

I have a dangerously expensive mental wishlist of books. Now it looks like my assets will let me choose between Aleut and Three Kingdoms. It's agonizing.
How many Eskimos are you likely to meet? (although the counter-argument is "How many ancient Chinese are you likely to meet?")

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SouthExpected

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39858 on: November 16, 2011, 02:40:06 pm »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HighOctaneNightmareFuel/RealLife

Thanks to my sick curiousity, i decided to read all of these pages.

It wasn't a good idea.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39859 on: November 16, 2011, 03:26:32 pm »

How many Eskimos are you likely to meet? (although the counter-argument is "How many ancient Chinese are you likely to meet?")

1. They're Aleut. Not Inuit.
2. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING SAYING "ESKIMO?"

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39860 on: November 16, 2011, 03:33:35 pm »

Because the Inuit are a specific tribe of Eskimos? And were you to call a non Inuit Eskimo an Inuit they would probably be very offended?
*Hugs*

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39861 on: November 16, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »

Because calling an Inuk an Eskimo is like using the n-word. That is why.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39862 on: November 16, 2011, 03:47:32 pm »

Because calling an Inuk an Eskimo is like using the n-word. That is why.
YMMV.

Down here, it's not considered a pejorative. And apparently even they are of two minds on the subject:
The Inuit Circumpolar Conference meeting in Barrow, Alaska, officially adopted "Inuit" as a designation for all Eskimos, regardless of their local usages, in 1977. However, the Inuit Circumpolar Council, as it is known today, uses both "Inuit" and "Eskimo" in its official documents.

EDIT: Also,
The term "Eskimo" is also used world wide in linguistic or ethnographic works to denote the larger branch of Eskimo–Aleut languages, the smaller branch being Aleut.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39863 on: November 16, 2011, 07:32:25 pm »

Well, yes, because all the literature says Eskimo-Aleut, but even so...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39864 on: November 16, 2011, 08:00:37 pm »

Depending on shipping, you should be able to get books a lot cheaper than you might think. Most of the stuff my company puts on Amazon is in the 3-4 dollar range, for example.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39865 on: November 16, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »

Most of the best things I have ever said are things where after I am finished, I am either convinced that it is the very worst thing I could have ever said in the situation, or that no one is going to care enough to read it. Most of the worst things I have ever said are things where after I am done, I am convinced that I am the greatest person on the planet. These feelings only ever last until the reactions come in and I can see where my coin has landed.

I say the dumbest things sometimes, and the only consolation I can ever hope to get from this is the fact that sometimes I can also say the smartest things. I just wish the former were less frequent, and the latter were far, far more frequent.

And in all of this, I am way, way too invested in what people think of what I say. It's good when people like what I say. It's a high like nothing else I could ever experience. People who have sigged me -- ANY TIME I see my words in people's signatures -- I have the utmost feelings of gratitude and joy. This is why I want to be a writer. This is the artist in me. I literally thrive on people's enjoyment of anything I do. And then I fuck it all up, say something supremely stupid, get called on it, and it feels like someone has suckerpunched me in the soul.

At least I don't hate myself. Small blessings, etc.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39866 on: November 16, 2011, 08:54:35 pm »

My skirt got caught on the dresser drawer handle and the clasp ripped. I can probably sew it back together but I don't know that it will ever be the same.

This is somewhat superficial of me perhaps, but I really like that skirt. It was a present.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39867 on: November 16, 2011, 08:56:22 pm »

Most of the best things I have ever said are things where after I am finished, I am either convinced that it is the very worst thing I could have ever said in the situation, or that no one is going to care enough to read it. Most of the worst things I have ever said are things where after I am done, I am convinced that I am the greatest person on the planet. These feelings only ever last until the reactions come in and I can see where my coin has landed.

I say the dumbest things sometimes, and the only consolation I can ever hope to get from this is the fact that sometimes I can also say the smartest things. I just wish the former were less frequent, and the latter were far, far more frequent.

And in all of this, I am way, way too invested in what people think of what I say. It's good when people like what I say. It's a high like nothing else I could ever experience. People who have sigged me -- ANY TIME I see my words in people's signatures -- I have the utmost feelings of gratitude and joy. This is why I want to be a writer. This is the artist in me. I literally thrive on people's enjoyment of anything I do. And then I fuck it all up, say something supremely stupid, get called on it, and it feels like someone has suckerpunched me in the soul.

At least I don't hate myself. Small blessings, etc.
Saying "smart" things is easy. You just need to watch people's general sentiments and act on that. Everyone will agree with you. On the other hand, saying "stupid" things often happens when you have the guts not to agree with everyone.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39868 on: November 16, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »

Saying "smart" things is easy. You just need to watch people's general sentiments and act on that. Everyone will agree with you. On the other hand, saying "stupid" things often happens when you have the guts not to agree with everyone.
If your refering to the discusion in the rage thread, the problem was not disagreeing with the majority.
The problem was you never really made your point clear.
What you appeared to be doing was trying to logicaly argue that decision making based on emotion was superior to decision making based on logic, which is an indefensible position but not what you where actualy trying to say if I understand it right.
So please don't take issue when, as par the course for heated internet debates, nether side correctly understands the other.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39869 on: November 16, 2011, 09:17:15 pm »

Awww, the little hook and eye clasp above the zipper on the side got a little bent so I bent it back and it broke. [grumble grumble]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2656 2657 [2658] 2659 2660 ... 8167