Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2655 2656 [2657] 2658 2659 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455110 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39840 on: November 15, 2011, 09:18:23 am »

Indeed. Many organizations barely do things pro bono, and even then, there's usually a catch. With a case as common as we're having, there's probably a very low chance they'll do it for cheap or nil.

With that being said, we don't have much choice, and as long the chances are non-zero, there's still room for hope.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39841 on: November 15, 2011, 09:33:19 am »

[Note: Though I am a licensed practicing attorney, I do not solicit cases over the internet for numerous ethical reasons, even then the person in question probably isn't even in my jurisdiction. If you live in the Untied States, I might be able to refer you to a public defender's office, or other comparable legal assistance, though I can truthfully promise you no results, I might be able to refer you. I fear this is the best I can do].

In response to the above and below quoted posts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For what it's worth, I really do feel bad for you as an attorney who practices criminal defense (who is far from rich). I see this every day, both in criminal and civil cases, and I hate it. I stopped counting the times I've had to stand down because of costs. What people, through no fault of their own, fail to realize is that the system of paying for attorneys in the United States itself is broken and harming not only clients, but attorneys themselves. I've been saying this for years here.

The issue is people can't afford to buy and I can't afford to sell legal representation as it stands at a reasonable price. There's no justice in denying you justice, but my student loan debts from law school and college are more than a house and the payments more than a mortgage. (And I did things rather economically at a state law school. Could've cost more). Nevermind paying the secretary, the office rent, copier costs, and time I don't get paid for "marketing," or chasing cases, etc. It's a crapshoot and we're too busy trying to cover costs to actually practice law most of the time.

A lot of people "make too much money" to get an appointed public defender, who are poor as hell. Moreover, given these costs, the "inexpensive" lawyers around here charge $200/hour. Think about that, 8 hours in court a day plus an hour or two beforehand to prepare, you're looking at $1600 (8 x $200) to $2000 (10 x 200) per day in court plus about a day or two beforehand to research and write motions and probably more.... How the hell are people making $10/hour supposed to pay that. (note: no question mark). Practically, that means they have to work 20 hours to pay for one of mine (before taxes). It's clearly unsustainable for everyone involved.

This is why I someday really truly do wanna start that plan of mine to charge people approximately $50/month for all the attorneys fees, legal advice tax preparation, and record keeping they need. (jack shit I can do about court costs and expert witness (medical) fees, but still...). I'd probably have to do something to keep people from ripping ME off (a la, signing up for this for a year, dumping their problems on me and then bolting). The idea of a 300 family per lawyer "insurance risk pool" (actually "True Retainer," but meh) would just work better for everyone. There was a time when I could've commanded a huge salary at a large firm, but I was the one who believed, "liberty and justice for all." I saw abuses of the system and railed against them. I haven't forgotten why I went to law school. This is why it's somewhat saddening when people hear about my idea to make legal representations affordable and call me a crook when I'm talking about charging people in a year what other lawyers (in attorney fees alone, not court costs) would charge in a couple hours.

Compare this to:
5k per attorney, even if you didn't hire the other attorney.

I can't tell you how furious, sad, and utterly depressed I feel when I have a good case and opposing counsel knows it. He also knows I can't afford to fight him and he wins on that basis alone.

If Justice is only a luxury for the rich, then is it still Justice? Can you be poor but virtuous, or is the mere fact of being poor a vice? .... I fear we've given the wrong answers to these questions in the U.S.

P.S. If you are in the United States, please feel free to instant message me for a referral to a county public defender's office. Again, I'm sorry that this is the best I can do. If you are not in the United States, then I'm afraid I know very little if anything about the laws of other nations....

Edit: I'm guessing from your using "500php" you're from the Philippines. I'm sorry. I know nothing about Filipino Law....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:48:58 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39842 on: November 15, 2011, 09:57:55 am »

Law's pretty much the same here, but like you said, I'm over here at the Philippines, so yeah, can't ask you for help. Anyway, thanks for the sympathizing post; made me feel better and while it might be hard for me right now, I'll persevere and get through this.

The bastards were asking for too much a pay, and while they might possibly not have a ton of cash with them, the part where they try to scare you, delay you, and otherwise ignore you when you don't stick a bunch of cash in their faces puts me off.

Not to mention the sarcasm and their making-light-of-the-whole-situation gig...

Once again, thanks for the post. :D

EDIT: True, people also tend to complain about the exhorbitant costs here and there, but in my case, they decided to quit even when we already paid them approximately 35% of their fees. It sucks when people you hire withdraw even if you invested a ton of money on them already. But I guess a job is a job. But then again, they have a ton of contracts here and there, they can't possibly be poor. They even said that "if the client is rich, we'll drain them of their funds, but if the client is really poor, we'll offer our services at a reasonable amount." That's kind of a dickish move. Also, to further augment the 'they're not poor statement', a lot of people use their other services, such as photocopying. In fact, just about every 4 minutes or so, they get a client that uses the photocopy service, which is 10php if I recall correctly.

I can only conclude that they're just greedy bastards.

Why is justice a luxury nowadays...?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:09:19 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39843 on: November 15, 2011, 10:43:35 am »

Because someone got the bright idea that it could be sold.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39844 on: November 15, 2011, 11:01:25 am »

Because someone got the bright idea that it could be sold.

Partially agreed. However, when you demand someone go into debt 6 figures to be a doctor or lawyer, you can't expect them to work for nothing. I really do want a find a way to provide justice to everyday people. It is mind numbingly difficult though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:56:01 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39845 on: November 15, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »

Damnit! I'm just encountering so many things to make me come to this thread for, and that's not a good thing.

Apparently, I'm a moron at filling online applications. I filled an online job application recently, I heard they were scheduling for interviews sometime in the future. So I wait, and I don't hear anything for like two weeks, and it's becoming very near the time that was hinted that interviews would be held... so I email them again asking what's up and they tell me that they CALLED me. Like, on the phone. Am I stupid or what?! I had completely forgotten that they might do that (Because seriously, fuck phones), I had assumed that they would email me back with the relevant information. This was the worst assumption ever apparently, since they called my home phone, since apparently I was naive enough to just be the completionist that I am and give it to them when it was asked for without thinking why, and I'm basically never at home for any reason. Now all the 'slots' for interviews are full thanks to that mistake... there goes that highly prospective opportunity. FUCK!

And it WAS highly prospective, most everyone that knew me, and knew that place, said that I should've been able to get in. Easy.

And my superviser was nice enough to give me a review of how well I'm doing at work, since I'm just kind of a paid intern, and I'm not sure if I particularly like the opinions they've formed of me.

Apparently though, this is what I gathered from our vis-a-vis meeting. That I'm not working to industry standards. "What does that mean?" I'm not working fast enough or hard enough. Snapping is used as a visual cue to how fast I should be jumping on the tasks I'm given. "I'm not sure if you've noticed, but this place is kind of slow-paced and laid back and I'm not tossed things to do nearly fast enough to justify jumping from first to fifth gear over every little thing." Then I should be looking for things to do, if people aren't supplying me with them. "I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the first few weeks I was here, that was exactly what I did. Things to do just aren't generated fast enough, and I just kind of fell into the rhythm of things." Then I'm asked if I've considered that my superiors just didn't want to overwhelm me, that they withhold on giving me things out of some misplaced sense of generosity. Through this, however, there's some sort of attribution fallacy going on where they assume that I'd be overwhelmed if they let me handle everything, therefore I must actually be that incompetent.

I wish that my inferiority complex didn't automatically kick in whenever I'm meeting with my superiors, and all I can do is just agree with everything they say as my mind panics and scrambles for PC responses that will somehow save me. I hate that I'm so instinctively servile and debasing. Either way though, that's damn damaging to my pride; Do I just have some aura of childishness and naivete? That I need to be baby'd? Take me serious!

She tops it off though, saying that if I were to be given a grade, I'd get a B or a B-, and if the school actually had enough money to hire somebody else into my position, they probably would. That hits fucking hard when I go for so many weeks and I think I'm doing well, and I get to the end of my temporary position, then they go "And here are all the mistakes you made Josh! Your welcome."... I kind've hate myself, because I'm not sure if I'm actually incompetent or not, compared to the rest of the world.

I wonder if any employers looking me up would be able to find all the little rants I've done here?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:04:58 pm by JoshuaFH »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39846 on: November 15, 2011, 06:14:39 pm »

I stayed after class because my professor wanted me to attend a Gang seminar with him. Normally not a problem, the bus service should drop me off at home at around the same time.

Except it broke down. Twice.

Two separate buses on my way home conked out. I know somebody is gonna quote that thing said earlier in the happy thread about superpowers inherited at the very end of a deadline, to which I reply Haha jokes on them, I don't have jack squat to do at home. Suckers!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39847 on: November 15, 2011, 06:40:41 pm »

Nah, you'd have had to carry it through the entire route, then deposit it at the depot.

Your incredibly manly power would prohibit you from just stopping at your destination.
*Hugs*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39848 on: November 15, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »

Torrential downpour + a hole the size of a quarter in the heel of my shoe + standing in the rain for an hour because the person who normally opens didn't show up. A depressing situation for a depressing day, I suppose.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39849 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:11 pm »

1. My irresponsible logic professor.

2. I can't date Fishhead.  He's too damned stupid.  That isn't to say that he's stupid.  I just seem to be a bit out of his league, and it doesn't help that he reminds me of my ex-boyfriend, or that I seem to already be familiar with everything he has to offer, or that there's no way in hell he'd ever be able to help keep me in line.  I'm not saying I need a man to help "take me in hand."  I'm saying that if I don't have someone to bicker with, I'll end up with all my thoughts like hamster teeth.

Feh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39850 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »

I'll end up with all my thoughts like hamster teeth.

The highest echelon of analogy right here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39851 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:16 pm »

I'm saying that if I don't have someone to bicker with, I'll end up with all my thoughts like hamster teeth.

One of the more interesting things I've ever heard a person say about themselves.

I'm pretty sure I understand, though.  I wish I'd known this better about myself 10 years ago.  This is a large part of why I spend so much time on forums, and this place is the best for it.

Edit:  Just caught up with this thread

I have a pretty violently shifting personality.  I'll spend a year building and building something, and then I'll throw it all away and toss myself into some other pursuit for two years or more.  And that's part of what's happening right now.  I spent a year building a life with these roommates of mine, and now it's time to abandon it and go somewhere else.  The room of my mind is full of too many things to move forward.  I've learned some rhetoric, and soon enough it will be time to move on, back to mathematics--but first, a little dabbling in translation theory.

It's so odd to me.  I spent so many years trying to develop good judgment, to be a solid, stable person, rock-like in nature, and now it's suddenly become abundantly clear that I am not that person in any dimension.  And where I thought I was building crystal spires, it seems instead that I've been making wind chimes.  College has not moored me, but extirpated my anchors.

I'm also very much like this.  I get intensely interested in something for a couple years and then all of a sudden something else will consume me, and I have very little control over it.  I've tried to channel this aspect of myself into my gaming habits, with some success.  I managed to keep myself intensely focused on 3d art for years while in school, even if I've been having immense trouble motivated myself to keep my skills from rusting after graduating.

Anyway, I'm really here to moan about work again.  I'm feeling overwhelmed and it's making me incredibly apathetic.  I haven't even had the energy to check in on the Occupy movement lately.  This is a massive indicator of something terribly wrong with me, since I've been waiting for something exactly like this to happen for over 10 years and now that it's happening, I can't even motivate myself to keep up with the news on it.

This place has been depressing me for years, but now it's genuinely fucking me over.  With this restructuring of benefits, me or my wife are going to have to get another job or I'm going to have to quit this one and find something better.  I'm starting to slack off here so badly that if I keep it up for much longer, I'm going to be fired... but I can't help myself.  I keep finding that I've been daydreaming or reading random stuff and that 30 minutes or an hour has passed without me realizing it.  I can't really afford to quit or screw up here, because we've been living paycheck to paycheck our whole adult lives.  We have no funding reserves to keep us propped up until I'm employed again, which all evidence currently indicates might not even happen at all.  But after 5 years of this, it's quite clear to me that my life is going absolutely nowhere until I get out of this place.  My parents are having enough trouble.  I don't think they could take me back in.  There's the very distant possibility that my wife's somewhat wealthy grandparents could save us.

I really need to be butting heads with destiny, but instead I'm turning into some sort of vegetable.  The world would work soooo much better for everyone if there was some way that people could be left alone once in a while to sort their fucking lives out.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:01:06 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39852 on: November 16, 2011, 10:04:54 am »

My comp got a random virus off of a site a friend suggested and I spent all night fixing it. It was a really annoying one this time around that blocked me from using my taskbar. Took forever.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39853 on: November 16, 2011, 10:36:48 am »

My comp got a random virus off of a site a friend suggested and I spent all night fixing it. It was a really annoying one this time around that blocked me from using my taskbar. Took forever.

I should learn to program, just so I can write a virus, where the only thing it does is change your screensaver to twisty pipes.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39854 on: November 16, 2011, 11:19:13 am »

Or write a virus that just pops up a message telling you to verify things before downloading them.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 2655 2656 [2657] 2658 2659 ... 8167