Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2562 2563 [2564] 2565 2566 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434908 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #38445 on: October 13, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38446 on: October 13, 2011, 07:49:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks a little like under the tuscan sun. That was a bit of a chick flick, but I enjoyed it.
Ok, it was a lot of a chick flick, but still...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38447 on: October 13, 2011, 07:49:37 pm »

Is the guy on the right Inigio?

(PS-The movie is far wittier and oozing nerd cred than any pictures can really show.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38448 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »

I believe that'd be the dude in the back with a sword.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38449 on: October 13, 2011, 07:52:53 pm »

Pretty sure that's Prince Humperdink

Also, apparently the squirrel in the yard was exceptional at playing dead, because when I went back out there 30 mins later, it was gone.

Which is good, because I really didn't feel like putting anything out of its misery tonight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38450 on: October 13, 2011, 07:55:01 pm »

Never seen it... Using twelve or less words, describe it. Bonus points for compound words.

My name is Iñigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38451 on: October 13, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »

Never seen it... Using twelve or less words, describe it. Bonus points for compound words.

Oh my god, that's perfect.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38452 on: October 13, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »

The Princess Bride is a chick flick. In that it appeals to anyone with a pulse, and chicks have those. Its broad appeal is scientific fact, and not in any way my unsubstantiated opinion >________________>

Oh god that's perfect. Now I have to assume that it was staged, and Max White was setting somebody up for that.

NINJAAAAAAAA
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38453 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »

Oh well done!
Wait... Giant guy... That guy with the hair. Was that the movie with the short guy who does the WIFOM thing?
Cause then yea, I have seen that, like when my age was a single digest, so I hardly remember much of it. Cool fight scene involving a guy beating strangling a giant though. I should watch that again.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38454 on: October 13, 2011, 08:06:27 pm »

Shaun of the Dead was an indie film that made it big.  I had to drive almost an hour to see that in a theater that shows that kind of stuff.
Indie? Maybe I don't understand the concept correctly but it was a fairly large mainstream British film rather than an Indie one. No disrespect meant for independent cinema. Do British films not make much impact in the USA?

Sounds like I'll have to look into The Princess Bride.

Ugh can't stop myself from falling to sleep and wish I didn't have to.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38455 on: October 13, 2011, 08:10:58 pm »

Most foreign films tend to be lumped into the "indie" group if directly imported. A full remake is the main way in which films from elsewhere get big over here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38456 on: October 13, 2011, 08:14:56 pm »

American action movies these days are 60% CG, yet one can barely tell. If that tells you something about the ridiculous amount of money blown on movies over here >.> So yeah, british films normally don't make much of a splash over here. Though occasionally we'll get one that does make a splash. Like the aforementioned Shaun of the Dead. I'm just guessing that britain doesn't blow as much money on cinema as america does.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38457 on: October 13, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »

I think all these remakes of movies and games show that there is a creativity crisis going on in the mainstream media, methinks.

That's why at this point I seldom bother in looking into non-indie games. I am far more hopeful about dwarf fortress, cataclysm, or this Ultima Ratio Regum strategy roguelike than any upcoming big name company game, atm,
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38458 on: October 13, 2011, 08:26:08 pm »

I'd like to point out that the word "special" is in my email address because my father set it up for me when I was 12.

It's kind of got negative connotations, yeknow, special as in, "special needs"?
Huh. I completely missed that.

So, student board has to pick things for next week (Spirit Week).
The advisor of the board was quite clear that we were to poll and ask people about what ideas out of the ones we brainstormed would work best and that they would want to participate in.

Second period of the day after, the vice president stands up and tells everyone that they've decided to do 'Disney' for the day that we have to dress up as a style of music. Apparently she and the President (They're friends, she was threatening to quit VP if the person she wanted as President didn't win.) had decided on their own what we're going to do. I know for a fact that she didn't talk to me or the other person on the student board, and a single period of class time is hardly enough to ask that many people what they think would be good ideas and then make an executive decision.
Eurgh. It's 'Spirit Week' this week for Homecoming, and things are going to shit at my high school.

In the original voting for each of the costume days, instead of write-in ballots, our tyrannical Vice President (the person who organizes homecoming week) gave every class four options to pick from to be 'their' spirit day. There are only five days in a school week, with the last day being a generic 'wear school colors' day. Due to the massive uproar when the President (one of my best friends) found out and told everyone over the intercom, we got 400 of our 500 member student body to drop off a signed "Impeach [The Vice President] Now!" slip at the front office. It wasn't in school policy, so the principle would not arrange a re-election. Instead, we brought forth three candidates, held our own voting, and elected them unofficially. They went to the ASB meeting the next week with a bunch of protesters (myself included) holding signs declaring the legitimacy of the new VP. The old one was kept outside by more students with signs. Though the new guy didn't get to vote, the rest of the board was convinced to redraft the Homecoming schedule with the write-in votes I had helped collect throughout the past week. This week's been pretty rad.

Monday: Duct Tape day. (Originally Disney day. Argh.) We made various articles of clothing entirely out of duct tape. I made myself a fantastical headband and gi.

Tuesday: Mustache day. (Originally Pop day. Yes, the music. More argh.) A friend of mine brought a skein of felt with which most everyone made fireman 'staches to celebrate the 40th anniversary of our math teacher (Who has that style of mustache due to his part-time volunteer employment) starting work at our school.

Wednesday: Counterculture day. (Originally Hippie day.) I forgot to dress up for this one, but it was pretty righteous seeing the sorts of things people came up with. Instead of just stereotypical hippies, we had people dress up as protesters, hipsters, goths, and even some people who made an effort to look like 'normal people' to avoid conforming to the dress up day, which was pretty clever.

Thursday: Nerd day. (Originally Nerd day.) We actually kept this one, with some stipulations. Whereas before the example dressup guide had taped-up glasses, too-small suspenders, and a faked lisp, the new one was much less offensive. People who self-identified as nerds were counted. Anyone dressing up like a stereotype (who didn't normally do so) was not counted.

Tomorrow will be the best, though. It's still Spirit Day as it always is for tradition's sake, but an odd form of it. The pep band was playing a song when they announced that one, so all everyone saw was a pair of cheerleaders wearing [My High School] T-shirts and some sort of frilly miniskirt things that are in no way in compliance with any sort of dress code anywhere. For too long has our administration let the dress code get out of hand. For people they like, it doesn't exist. For everybody else, it is very strictly enforced. Tomorrow, I expect to see most of the school violating every single rule of the dress code, but in school colors. I, for one, am wearing my XC shorts and T-shirt.

Oh, and this week the Athletics Administration took over the announcements to focus more on sporty things. (READ: FOOTBALL.) There was some stuff on girls' soccer, and nothing on volleyball or cross country. (Even though we actually win meets.) To display our displeasure, every not-football fall sport and all of the official non-athletic clubs are painting banners to place along the edge of the football field and around the hallways.

Viva la revolution!

Preview Edit: Holy walls of text, Batman!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38459 on: October 13, 2011, 08:38:18 pm »

That's one thing around my school that saddens me. Football getting all of the attention when we have the best band in our county and then some, then runners for track who go state. Also saddening, the remake of Footloose. A: It's a remake of a classic film that will likely be completly butchered, like many other remakes of classics. And B: Nobody can replace Kevin Bacon, no matter how hard they can punchdance. NOBODY.
Pages: 1 ... 2562 2563 [2564] 2565 2566 ... 8167