Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2559 2560 [2561] 2562 2563 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434496 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #38400 on: October 13, 2011, 06:52:38 am »

Aw crap, my legs are aching again and I haven't even started work. Gonna be a Fun day.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38401 on: October 13, 2011, 07:37:04 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:14:12 am by Ogdibus »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38402 on: October 13, 2011, 07:39:35 am »

My math classes are really badly timed.On Mondays we have math practices where we do problems and stuff and it is interesting for now, the problem however is that we have theory classes on Thursday and we do what we did on Monday but without problem solving, only theory and explaining stuff.Now both proffessors are great and know their shit but the problem is that theory gets quite boring if you have three classes of it in a row and all you are doing is explaining what you did two days ago in a slightly more convulted way, this gets pretty boring and tiresome and i really don't see a solution that would change the schedule while allowing me to keep both proffessors teaching me.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38403 on: October 13, 2011, 08:08:45 am »

I don't like being reminded overmuch of things that other people might call "special."
Wait, I don't get this. Of course you're special. You're probably the smartest person I know by a long shot, not to mention how great a person you are. What's so bad about being special?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38404 on: October 13, 2011, 09:15:07 am »

I'd like to point out that the word "special" is in my email address because my father set it up for me when I was 12.

It's kind of got negative connotations, yeknow, special as in, "special needs"?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38405 on: October 13, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »

Feh.  Bad mood.  Have to keep working.

I feel like an octopus.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38406 on: October 13, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »

So, student board has to pick things for next week (Spirit Week).
The advisor of the board was quite clear that we were to poll and ask people about what ideas out of the ones we brainstormed would work best and that they would want to participate in.

Second period of the day after, the vice president stands up and tells everyone that they've decided to do 'Disney' for the day that we have to dress up as a style of music. Apparently she and the President (They're friends, she was threatening to quit VP if the person she wanted as President didn't win.) had decided on their own what we're going to do. I know for a fact that she didn't talk to me or the other person on the student board, and a single period of class time is hardly enough to ask that many people what they think would be good ideas and then make an executive decision.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38407 on: October 13, 2011, 02:56:52 pm »

You know, if the Students board is abusing it's power, it's up to the students to address that...

Also, arg! Next week there'll be a lecture about a subject very close to some research I've been doing recently (Stacking of phtalocyanins. I've been working on the stacking of porphyrins, which are the same except for a double bond somewhere). Unfortunately, it starts at the same time as my photophysics course. Now, photophysics isn't exactly the hardest course I've ever had but this also means people get sloppy with their notes and there are no videos of this course...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38408 on: October 13, 2011, 03:16:30 pm »

The advisor of the board was quite clear that we were to poll and ask people about what ideas out of the ones we brainstormed would work best and that they would want to participate in.

Second period of the day after, the vice president stands up and tells everyone that they've decided to do 'Disney' for the day that we have to dress up as a style of music. Apparently she and the President (They're friends, she was threatening to quit VP if the person she wanted as President didn't win.) had decided on their own what we're going to do. I know for a fact that she didn't talk to me or the other person on the student board, and a single period of class time is hardly enough to ask that many people what they think would be good ideas and then make an executive decision.

Boycott, failed peace talks, revolt, new elections.

It works 95% of the time.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #38409 on: October 13, 2011, 03:19:19 pm »

Boycott, failed peace talks, revolt, new elections.

It works 95% of the time.

Stage a coup and gain popular support for the revolutionary faction.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38410 on: October 13, 2011, 03:26:11 pm »

I don't think anybody else gets that the Student Board is supposed to ask for opinions, or maybe they just think that they asked other people for opinions that wasn't them. I know I wouldn't even have thought of it if I wasn't on the board as well, and therefore supposed to be made aware of these things.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #38411 on: October 13, 2011, 03:31:57 pm »

Disney strikes again! I find it funny, because I had the same problem except the group I was in had to do a project on anything, and they all wanted to do Disney.

But yeah, stage a rebellion and attempt to Veto the president and vice president on the basis that they are unfair and tyrannical rulers.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38412 on: October 13, 2011, 03:35:34 pm »

My brother got elected to president of the student body against his will. There were only something like 20 students, the only person that wanted the position was apparently a complete bitch, so they elected him instead.

He didn't actually go to any meetings at all, and eventually they stopped asking him to. He almost got re-elected too. But that's politics for you.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38413 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:40 pm »

My brother got elected to president of the student body against his will. There were only something like 20 students, the only person that wanted the position was apparently a complete bitch, so they elected him instead.

He didn't actually go to any meetings at all, and eventually they stopped asking him to. He almost got re-elected too. But that's politics for you.

Both myself, the VP, and the Secretary only had one person running for each position. The President had two, one of whom who I really like (they're in anime club with me), and one of whom I really don't like (along with the VP). Of course he won...bleh. I should've never gotten into this.

You can't even do write in votes, anyone who is running had to have gotten 50 signatures from students in the same grade as themselves to be in the running, with the name of the position you are running written on it.

Next year I'm going to run for president, lots of people like me, and the people running this year were either very shy or very annoying.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38414 on: October 13, 2011, 03:52:05 pm »

Ok sad stuff!

So from what I've overheard my brother got a girlfriend. Good for him.

So now he's been obnoxiously practising the guitar... Although I have to admit he has been getting better. Good for him.
So right now he's working out by hitting the heavy bag down in the basement... Which is solid as a rock since it was designed for boxing gloves, he is using none, so he might as well be punching and kicking a wall. So it doesn't sound like a terribly healthy decision, but hey, he's getting exercise, so good for him.

Unfortunately all this is really obnoxious, and I'm afraid to ask him to quiet down. He can be... intimidating.
Pages: 1 ... 2559 2560 [2561] 2562 2563 ... 8167