Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2561 2562 [2563] 2564 2565 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434639 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #38430 on: October 13, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »

I've got to admit I don't watch many mainstream comedy films and perhaps as a consequence can't think of too many with this kind of set up. Two films from the same people that are fairly good examples would be Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Shaun of the Dead being a normal guy in a ridiculous situation. Hot Fuzz being a stereotypical character in an at least normal looking situation.

You've also got double acts with the straight man / funny man set up. This is common or was common on stage but you still get it in comedy in general. I see it a lot in sitcoms with a wife and her husband taking the roles respectively.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38431 on: October 13, 2011, 06:33:04 pm »

You've also got double acts with the straight man / funny man set up. This is common or was common on stage but you still get it in comedy in general. I see it a lot in sitcoms with a wife and her husband taking the roles respectively.
I personally am ridiculously sick of this particular cliche.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38432 on: October 13, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »

You've also got double acts with the straight man / funny man set up. This is common or was common on stage but you still get it in comedy in general.

And other places too - see Mythbusters, etc.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38433 on: October 13, 2011, 06:45:08 pm »

And other places too - see Mythbusters, etc.
Let us not forget good old Bert and Ernie!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38434 on: October 13, 2011, 07:13:59 pm »

My dog randomly murdering wildlife out in the yard. This time it was a squirrel. I'd almost feel better if he'd killed it outright, but no. He was tossing it around like a rag doll and barking at it. It wasn't a quick way to go. Nature is nature but I hate seeing wildlife dying slow like that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:15:32 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38435 on: October 13, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »

One dog I used to have -gone ten years ago. I miss you Azkar-, used to do that with small lizards.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38436 on: October 13, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »

I've got to admit I don't watch many mainstream comedy films and perhaps as a consequence can't think of too many with this kind of set up. Two films from the same people that are fairly good examples would be Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Shaun of the Dead being a normal guy in a ridiculous situation. Hot Fuzz being a stereotypical character in an at least normal looking situation.

Shaun of the Dead was an indie film that made it big.  I had to drive almost an hour to see that in a theater that shows that kind of stuff.

As for further examples:  I guess I'm thinking mostly of romantic comedies.  How about almost anything starring Ben Stiller?  His are some of the worst in this regard.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38437 on: October 13, 2011, 07:34:14 pm »

Ah, thank you guys for you explanations. Yeah, the double/switched roles is definatly permeating comedy everywhere. And I have yet to see a romantic comedy that doesn't involve copious amounts of sex. Can't stand em. (except meet the parents, that counts as romantic comedy, right?) But since I lived a while with no cable, I had nothing to watch but movies, so I happen to be a bit of a cinemaphile.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38438 on: October 13, 2011, 07:36:34 pm »

Princess Bride!  Jegus, go watch it already!  It's the only chick flick I'll even watch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38439 on: October 13, 2011, 07:39:22 pm »

Princess Bride!  Jegus, go watch it already!  It's the only chick flick I'll even watch.
I think of it as a parody.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38440 on: October 13, 2011, 07:41:24 pm »

Since when is Princess Bride a chick flick?  Heck, it has Andre the Giant in it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38441 on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:21 pm »

Never seen it... Using twelve or less words, describe it. Bonus points for compound words.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38442 on: October 13, 2011, 07:43:12 pm »

Lemme put it this way: three of those twelve words are "Andre The Giant".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38443 on: October 13, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »

>_________>

That's what my ex billed it to me as after ragging on pretty much all movies marketed to women, categorically.

Of course, I managed to get revenge when he tried to show me some movie whose main hallmarks were exploding helicopters and wooden vampiric acting, and he realized that maybe not everything stereotypically masculine was The Best Thing Ever And Better Than All That Woman Shit.

So yeah.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38444 on: October 13, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »

Since when is Princess Bride a chick flick?  Heck, it has Andre the Giant in it.
That was my thought as well, but I was beating around the bush.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 ... 2561 2562 [2563] 2564 2565 ... 8167