Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2477 2478 [2479] 2480 2481 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427370 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #37170 on: September 19, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »

If that's advanced, then I wonder what remedial is.

"Okay, kids, today we're learning about the letter 'AAAAaaaaaaa.' Say it with me, now!"
Nothing important here, move along.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37171 on: September 19, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »

I have a couple of advanced classes where some of the material on the tests isn't even covered in class >.>

But then, I guess that's what internet is for, right?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37172 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:07 pm »

It is really sad that English is an "easy" subject to teach. No, it isn't. It's a craft, an art, and we're losing it. That blank sheet of paper or computer screen, how're you going to fill it and how well? At first everyone laughed at me when I showed up to lecture with colorful markers and a huge sheet of paper. I showed the kids stuff like this (look at the [tagged] and multicolor  parts):

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85981.msg2543831#msg2543831
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.msg2621658#msg2621658

And everyone thought I was a god damn wizard.... [headdesk]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:11:33 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37173 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:45 pm »

Wait, you're not? Goddamn it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37174 on: September 19, 2011, 06:17:05 pm »

Best way I've found of learning English grammar and stuff is by learning Latin and Greek....
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37175 on: September 19, 2011, 06:47:04 pm »

"Okay, kids, today we're learning about the letter 'AAAAaaaaaaa.' Say it with me, now!"
There's next to no difference in the classes. The standard English classes just have more tolerance (or, rather, know better how to deal with) students that don't know and don't want to try. The name itself makes the biggest difference in the classes.

Currently, most of the advanced are reading The Scarlet Letter, while the standard are reading The Crucible. That's the biggest difference there's been since I entered the school two years ago.

It is really sad that English is an "easy" subject to teach. No, it isn't. It's a craft, an art, and we're losing it. That blank sheet of paper or computer screen, how're you going to fill it and how well? At first everyone laughed at me when I showed up to lecture with colorful markers and a huge sheet of paper. I showed the kids stuff like this (look at the [tagged] and multicolor  parts):

Yep. It seems as though no-one cares about how to write anymore. The most instruction I have received, since elementary school, on how to write / writing structure was in my history class, last year. That was good, because we had some very large essays in there, but that sort of stuff is what we should be learning in English class. Instead, we read Shakespeare, and translate our own language.

Speaking of English writings, I've never understood the purpose of a thesis statement in most essays. Isn't that what most of the introductory paragraph is for?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37176 on: September 19, 2011, 06:57:40 pm »

There's next to no difference in the classes. The standard English classes just have more tolerance (or, rather, know better how to deal with) students that don't know and don't want to try. The name itself makes the biggest difference in the classes.

Currently, most of the advanced are reading The Scarlet Letter, while the standard are reading The Crucible. That's the biggest difference there's been since I entered the school two years ago.

Yep. It seems as though no-one cares about how to write anymore. The most instruction I have received, since elementary school, on how to write / writing structure was in my history class, last year. That was good, because we had some very large essays in there, but that sort of stuff is what we should be learning in English class. Instead, we read Shakespeare, and translate our own language.

Speaking of English writings, I've never understood the purpose of a thesis statement in most essays. Isn't that what most of the introductory paragraph is for?

As I stated before, the purpose of the vast majority of any essay's contents is to fill space.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37177 on: September 19, 2011, 07:03:09 pm »

I disagree with that. The purpose of the vast majority of any essay is to communicate clearly and (this is important) unambiguously, unless it's for a class with a minimum length requirement that is longer than was necessary for you to accomplish that purpose.

EDIT: Oh, and in the case of trying to be convincing, to present evidence to support it, but that isn't any essay. Unless that's the definition of an essay, in which case oops.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:06:58 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37178 on: September 19, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »

...I am having a strong urge to use colors in my notes now. I shall pick up some colored pens when I have the chance.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37179 on: September 19, 2011, 07:15:52 pm »

Oh gog there's a really angry guy yelling at his girlfriend over the phone near me.  Shhhhh shhhh stop cussing next to me it's awkward and I'm making this post.

EDIT:
"RAGE RAGE RAGE oh hold on I need to get back to class now, later then."
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:17:52 pm by ToonyMan »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37180 on: September 19, 2011, 07:21:53 pm »

I've had some really awkward moments on the bus like that. Someone will be yelling over the phone, cussing out the person they're talking to or badmouthing someone else, then after they hang up they're all bright and cheery and talking about the weather.

I don't get how some people can swing from spouting venom to a regular conversation at the drop of a hat.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #37181 on: September 19, 2011, 07:23:52 pm »

It's a defense mechanism. It's not even often totally intentional. The idea is just to move on from the feelings and replace them. Works out for some people but when it doesn't it just makes them look kinda creepy. At that not everyone does it, which sometimes leads to the worse habit of taking it out on people.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37182 on: September 19, 2011, 07:25:38 pm »

I've had some really awkward moments on the bus like that. Someone will be yelling over the phone, cussing out the person they're talking to or badmouthing someone else, then after they hang up they're all bright and cheery and talking about the weather.

I don't get how some people can swing from spouting venom to a regular conversation at the drop of a hat.

It's a defense mechanism. It's not even often totally intentional. The idea is just to move on from the feelings and replace them. Works out for some people but when it doesn't it just makes them look kinda creepy. At that not everyone does it, which sometimes leads to the worse habit of taking it out on people.

I see you've met my colleagues.

Edit: To me an essay good essay is all about getting lots of organized content into not a lot of space, because the judge doesn't give a damn is busy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:33:13 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #37183 on: September 19, 2011, 07:26:34 pm »

Mostly speaking from personal experience. Someone pisses me off and often everyone is that person that just pissed me off...

Trying to work on it at least though.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37184 on: September 19, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »

I am being accused of taking a USB cable thing and losing it, even though I literally own nothing that uses that kind of cable.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 2477 2478 [2479] 2480 2481 ... 8167