Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2337 2338 [2339] 2340 2341 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9445183 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35070 on: August 13, 2011, 11:40:54 am »

I tried to get to sleep for five hours last night. Nothing. Now approaching Hour 20 of sleeplessness. Could probably sleep now, but that would screw up my scheduled even further. Must stay awake for 12 more hours. Must remain sane. Must retain typing facilities. My fingers jerk in random directions instead of to the correct key every two words now. Must use spellcheck.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:44:32 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35071 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:39 am »

5-2=3+3=6. From left to right. That's because PEMDAS is bullshit (edit: okay, maybe not bullshit, but extremely misleading) since multiplication and addition don't have priority before divisions and substractions respectively.

The Germans have the simple to remember phrase "Punkt vor Strich", meaning dots before lines, * and : before + and -.
Wait, I always learned PEMDAS, but that the MD and AS were together, and you do them left to right.
... I really hope I wasn't wrong all this time.  :-X
No, you were quite right about that.
So even the order of operations can change and are even disputed? @_@  Well there goes what little understanding of math I had...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35072 on: August 13, 2011, 12:04:26 pm »

I've been having some computer problems that I couldn't diagnose so I decided to do a fresh windows install. All but a small number of my files are stored on a second HDD. I moved a few folders of files from my C: drive and started the new installation only to realise I'd not moved my passwords or bookmarks. Luckily I have a backup from a few months back for my bookmarks and I've been using Read It Later a lot. The problem is that I don't remember my Read It Now password or username and it turns out that I didn't connect it with my email.

TL/DR: Reformatted drive and lost passwords, last few months of bookmarks, Read It Now username; password; and a load more links through that.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35073 on: August 13, 2011, 12:12:14 pm »

I may have stranger perspective on basic math. You guys seem to focus on the numbers. I focus on the operators, the numbers are only important when attached to an operator.

5-2+3 is:

+5
+3

and the order does not matter.

Operators are arranged in tiers with priority in order: (), ^ root, * /, + -. It essentially creates a tree, and you can shuffle the leaves on any branch as much as you want, or shuffle sub-branches off a larger branch all you want, and the answer is always the same.

So no, it isn't that order of operation changes or is disputed, its that the way people teach it can be confusing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #35074 on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »

I may have stranger perspective on basic math. You guys seem to focus on the numbers. I focus on the operators, the numbers are only important when attached to an operator.

5-2+3 is:

+5
+3

and the order does not matter.

Operators are arranged in tiers with priority in order: (), ^ root, * /, + -. It essentially creates a tree, and you can shuffle the leaves on any branch as much as you want, or shuffle sub-branches off a larger branch all you want, and the answer is always the same.

So no, it isn't that order of operation changes or is disputed, its that the way people teach it can be confusing.
We were always taught about BODMAS. Brackets, of , divide, multiply, addition, subtraction.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35075 on: August 13, 2011, 01:34:06 pm »

Strange, because I was taught about this in SHIAFO-DWI.

Shit Happens In A Funny Order, Deal With It.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #35076 on: August 13, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »

Hm, since there's stuff flying around, I'm not sure whether it's pemdas that I'm doing, I think it is.
2^(5+2)+14*23-4/4
P
2^7+14*23-4/4
E
128+14*23-4/4
MD->
128+322-1
AS
I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. But if I'm wrong please inform me so I can fixerate my maths.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35077 on: August 13, 2011, 02:09:14 pm »

I was taught the infix notation in school, but I quickly realized that Polish notation (normal or reverse) also known as prefix notation (postfix notation if reversed) is superior. Parsing calculations is simpler and stuff like brackets are unnecessary for retaining unambiguity.

For example, the infix statement 10 / 2 + 4 * (2 + 2)
translates to the prefix statement + / 10 2 * 4 + 2 2
with lots of nested (although unnecessary) brackets added to clarify the order of computation +(/(10 2) *(4 +(2 2)))

This is also intuitive for computer programming.

I may have typoed something, it's getting late here.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35078 on: August 13, 2011, 02:19:45 pm »

I had to look that up on Wikipedia and I can respond only that this is brilliant madness.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35079 on: August 13, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »

So now I've got a high level of proficiency in 3 languages.
Not enough :-\

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35080 on: August 13, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »

So now I've got a high level of proficiency in 3 languages.
Not enough :-\
Well shit that sucks.  You haven't learned anything yet.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35081 on: August 13, 2011, 02:44:36 pm »

Well, I'd like to learn at least two more.
Because everybody (here) seems to know 4+.

Damn, if I hadn't succumbed to peer pressure at the age of 12, I would know french today.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35082 on: August 13, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »

We are all multicultural geniuses.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35083 on: August 13, 2011, 03:00:40 pm »

My English is passable, and I know enough Spanish to ask for a bathroom, a beer, and a bed. You can join me in the under-achieving club.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35084 on: August 13, 2011, 03:02:36 pm »

I had to look that up on Wikipedia and I can respond only that this is brilliant madness.

Hehe, as part of a summer study thing I had to program a reverse Polish notation calculator in Java.  Pretty cool, pretty cool~!

I feel really tense and stressed out about my grade.  *sigh*

I love school, but I hate being graded.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 2337 2338 [2339] 2340 2341 ... 8167