Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2304 2305 [2306] 2307 2308 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473120 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34575 on: August 08, 2011, 02:57:49 pm »

I apologize for my part in it. Gah. Clearly, I learn nothing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34576 on: August 08, 2011, 03:31:35 pm »

That's all right.

Now maybe we'll be able to get through this rough patch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34577 on: August 08, 2011, 03:33:25 pm »

My wireless router is dying. Seeing as I cant possibly run a cable through the ceiling or snaked through the halls to my room this could be problematic. Especially distressing when its part of a colony of networking devices that all have blinking blue lights and it has a pulsing red light, like some digital disease proclaiming how serious the whole issue is.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #34578 on: August 08, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »

Duke, try disconnecting it for a few moments or check the cables. I thought one of our routers was dying when that's all it was. Same blinking red light too.

A little extra bit on topic. I'm sad that the heat here is enough to be affecting our own internet. Spotty as hell connections all round until it starts cooling down.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:36:35 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34579 on: August 08, 2011, 03:37:30 pm »

My father reports that it was like this for the month I was away, where he would do that and after a day or two it would get the blinky red light again. We got a new phone before we left so that might be screwing with it. Ill have to wait and see how often it'll pull this.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34580 on: August 08, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »

Our internet is terrible right now. In the middle of the day when it's super hot, and late at night for some reason, it just has all sorts of spots.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #34581 on: August 08, 2011, 03:38:17 pm »

Wait. New phone?

... Did your dad forget to filter the line?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34582 on: August 08, 2011, 03:43:13 pm »

Box says its built in as a feature of the phone, and we have kind of a funky setup that does everything through a cable internet line. As I said, a colony of six or seven different devices wired together in bizarre ways to maximize how cheap our internet/TV/Phone can be.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34583 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:36 pm »

I have no idea why, but a really nasty bout of depression is happening.

On the other hand, I suspect I am going to be significantly more productive as long as it lasts, which could be a real boon.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34584 on: August 08, 2011, 03:53:28 pm »

Box says its built in as a feature of the phone, and we have kind of a funky setup that does everything through a cable internet line. As I said, a colony of six or seven different devices wired together in bizarre ways to maximize how cheap our internet/TV/Phone can be.
Box must be dumb or something, im still confused that my internet is using phone lines for a 10Mbps connection O_o, so ethernet was useless?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34585 on: August 08, 2011, 03:53:38 pm »

My wifi card stopped working. Again. I can detect networks now, but apparently not connect to them. At least not to mine, and I know it's due to the computer because my tablet connects flawlessly.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34586 on: August 08, 2011, 03:55:32 pm »

My wifi card stopped working. Again. I can detect networks now, but apparently not connect to them. At least not to mine, and I know it's due to the computer because my tablet connects flawlessly.

Our internet is terrible right now. In the middle of the day when it's super hot, and late at night for some reason, it just has all sorts of spots.

IT'S THEM CRAZY GOVERNMENTS

THEYRE DESTROYING OUR INTERNETS

More serious, it's interesting a lot of people are having problems.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34587 on: August 08, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »

Had that problem (or its bastard cousin, the "randomly disconnects every few minutes, then forgets the WPA key") for a while till I finally ditched the cheap POS wifi card I had installed and went to a nice, new (but still inexpensive) USB wifi adapter. Works like a champ now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34588 on: August 08, 2011, 03:56:01 pm »

I'm sad because my Home City is being burnt down by rioters.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34589 on: August 08, 2011, 03:57:32 pm »

I'm sad because my Home City is being burnt down by rioters.
Oh shit, wheres this going down?
Pages: 1 ... 2304 2305 [2306] 2307 2308 ... 8167