Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2018 2019 [2020] 2021 2022 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476332 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30285 on: May 20, 2011, 06:45:34 am »

For example, I'm not quite sure what I'd be able to get from, say, 4X games.

You could be surprised.  For some reason, seeing "sexualization" and "4X games" in the same block reminded me of weird, unnecessary sex appeal in old strategy games.  Like the original Imperium Galactica, which included a (drawn) picture of a sci-fi woman in space catsuit armor in the soundtest screen, respective of nothing else in the game.  Or the abundance of evil elves in fantasy strategy games with a distinct "as little clothing as possible" policy, when the character graphics are 16 pixels tall.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30286 on: May 20, 2011, 06:47:40 am »

Or good elves with a distinct "as little clothing as possible" policy.

Spoiler: Yeah. (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30287 on: May 20, 2011, 06:49:12 am »

Yeah, there's that, though I was actually thinking more about the effects of universal sexual objectification in a video game, as appeared in MGS and rather a lot of fighting games.  RPGs seem to be somewhat freer of that (unless there's some massive sex appeal in Moogles I was unaware of).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30288 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:37 am »

Yeah, there's that, though I was actually thinking more about the effects of universal sexual objectification in a video game, as appeared in MGS and rather a lot of fighting games.  RPGs seem to be somewhat freer of that (unless there's some massive sex appeal in Moogles I was unaware of).
Rule 34 Vector. Rule 34.

Although Rule 36 is probably closer.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30289 on: May 20, 2011, 06:51:28 am »

It's harder to tell, but there's only two Final Fantasy game (VIII, IX) that entirely lack Stripperific female outfits.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30290 on: May 20, 2011, 06:54:42 am »

And IX did have Garnet's lovingly modeled ass.

Again, though--I'm not that interested in only female objectification, because we all know it happens.  I'm talking about games where Everyone and Everything Is Bloody Full Of Sex.  But which aren't explicitly so.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30291 on: May 20, 2011, 07:06:18 am »

Again, though--I'm not that interested in only female objectification, because we all know it happens.  I'm talking about games where Everyone and Everything Is Bloody Full Of Sex.  But which aren't explicitly so.

Hmm.  I keep thinking of needless sexual references in a lot of games, but they're all very contained.  RPGs with one ludicrously "female" unit or whatever.  Games where everything has at least a sexual overtone is harder to place, but then, I'm not even really sure what would count.  Maybe some MMO's where it's essentially impossible to play a character that doesn't look like a Greek God or magazine model, and the game is flooded with such people - City of Heroes comes to mind, since it modeled itself on four-color comic books.  My biggest hurdle there is that I'm honestly not sure how to recognize male sexualization when I see it - stuff like Snake's ass or Duke Nukem's rippling pecs strike me so much as jokes that I don't really connect it to sexual appeal, even if mockingly so.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30292 on: May 20, 2011, 07:18:07 am »

Actually, both Duke Nukem and Metal Gear Solid would definitely count.  I mean, I consider Taki and Ivy as seen in Soul Calibur kind of hilarious, and Fran from FFXII, but on the other hand I've certainly seen those characters as objects of folks' lust as well.

The violence there isn't really sexualized, though, just the characters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30293 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:59 am »

...and when I get back upb she's sitting on the kitchrn floor with a mouse in her mouth. Goddamn kitteh, why must you be such an effective killing machine?
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30294 on: May 20, 2011, 08:43:38 am »

My room is full of sheets of paper, which in turn are full of errors :/

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30295 on: May 20, 2011, 10:23:15 am »

Actually, both Duke Nukem and Metal Gear Solid would definitely count.  I mean, I consider Taki and Ivy as seen in Soul Calibur kind of hilarious, and Fran from FFXII, but on the other hand I've certainly seen those characters as objects of folks' lust as well.

The violence there isn't really sexualized, though, just the characters.
So uh... you don't see any dominatrix undertones in Ivy's moveset?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30296 on: May 20, 2011, 11:33:04 am »

... Well, yeah, there's always that.  Haven't played much since I was a freshman in high school, though >_>

*sigh*

How I miss having a friend with a gaming system.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30297 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38:17 am »

... Well, yeah, there's always that.  Haven't played much since I was a freshman in high school, though >_>

*sigh*

How I miss having a friend with a gaming system.

But but but! There's always so many fun games to play online with your friends with just a computer and an internet connection.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30298 on: May 20, 2011, 11:42:05 am »

Yeah, but I kinda miss an ability to mooch like mad off of my dear friends and enemies.  And I always liked single-player games better... it seems sort of unfortunate that so few multiplayer games are made with a storyline attached.  I guess that Crystal Chronicles and Legend of the Four Swords count, but ... they were pretty forgettable.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30299 on: May 20, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »

Yeah, but I kinda miss an ability to mooch like mad off of my dear friends and enemies.  And I always liked single-player games better... it seems sort of unfortunate that so few multiplayer games are made with a storyline attached.  I guess that Crystal Chronicles and Legend of the Four Swords count, but ... they were pretty forgettable.

Crystal Chronicles had the most ridiculously high barrier to entry when concerning multiplayer that I have ever seen in any game before or since. You literally needed a GBA for each player if you wanted to play as a team.

Generally, I like single player games as well, as there's literally only one or two other people that I enjoy playing video games with, but I can see why there's a trend nowadays where games lean towards multiplayer content more than single player content. It's simply the companies being readers of today's zeitgeist. Gaming is seen as an activity to relax and unwind, and people are more apt to do that with there friends, and so gaming companies focus on that. There's quite a lot of people who refer to themselves as gamers, and while I agree, there's an uneven curve to gaming hobbyism that I think needs addressing. The majority of people, just want to hang with their friends and relax, and so will purchase videos as tools to properly meet these priorities. Gaming cannot progress as a fully flushed-out art form, until society recognizes it as such.

I understand if I'm a little off topic from what you're referring to, but I just thought of these things, so I thought I might as well throw them out there.

My roommate is playing the latest game by Rockstar, L.A. Noire, whch plays like a 1940's detective drama. It's really impressive so far, it's like an interactive movie almost.
Pages: 1 ... 2018 2019 [2020] 2021 2022 ... 8167