Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2017 2018 [2019] 2020 2021 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476405 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30270 on: May 19, 2011, 11:36:44 pm »

Movies can demand involvement, but dont need to.

I don't understand how literature can't, unless illustrated heavily enough that the story can be understood without much reading interpretation, such as with a comic or children's book.  Of course, some books can be read more casually than others by variances in difficulty or willing emotional investment, but the constant is that it takes active mental process to translate text into coherent images, thoughts, and continuity, which I see as an interactive aspect.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #30271 on: May 19, 2011, 11:38:51 pm »

One of my pet wolves in Minecraft died a dwarfy death today.  He was sitting in his doghouse in my sandstone fortress when I was attacked by spiders just outside.  He somehow went from "sit, stay" to "heroically leap out the second story window to his master's aid."  He successfully killed the spider, but also dodged into a lava pit nearby :(

RIP Chips.  I'm building a *sandstone statue* in his honor.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30272 on: May 19, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »

But you don't need to translate text into coherent images. You can just read it on the fly. Delliberatedly (eg: you're in a hurry) or not (eg the novel sucks that much)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30273 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:25 pm »

or not (eg the novel sucks that much)

How do you know when you're not actually bothering to make complete sense of what you're reading?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30274 on: May 19, 2011, 11:53:40 pm »

Because it sucks so bad that every two or three phrases I'm groaning at the folly.

Return of the Crimson Guard produced this kind of reaction in me.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30275 on: May 19, 2011, 11:58:15 pm »

I will chip in and say sometimes I notice I did not read the last several pages so much as rested my eyes on them and turned the page.

When I go back, it is abundantly clear why most of the time as I have not missed anything.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30276 on: May 20, 2011, 12:07:50 am »

Of course the rules of any media break when the willing attention of the audience does.  A video game will lose its literary element to any player with a policy of skipping all dialogue boxes, which many do.  Doesn't mean they aren't there.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30277 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:35 am »

Of course the rules of any media break when the willing attention of the audience does.  A video game will lose its literary element to any player with a policy of skipping all dialogue boxes, which many do.  Doesn't mean they aren't there.

WHAT

PERFIDY

Anyway, I shall be conducting rather a lot of "research" in this venue over the next few years >:3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30278 on: May 20, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

WHAT

PERFIDY

Anyway, I shall be conducting rather a lot of "research" in this venue over the next few years >:3

Which genres are you looking at researching the most?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30279 on: May 20, 2011, 01:37:52 am »

My graduation project was somewhat about this.  Not exactly research, but I gave it a ton of thought and consulted various professors and books and even had a 30 second chat with Scott McCloud about it (and he actually managed to be very helpful).

Yes, the production quality is rather shoddy.  I put a couple years of thought into the project, and then my final semester of college involved a couple weeks of turning my ideas into something concrete, one month of storyboarding, and then one month of producing literally everything that's actually there.  This while working full time with a four year old kid and a wife who was/is also a college student and gave birth to our second kid four days after the final presentation.  I still don't know how I pulled it off, but as far as I could tell, I had the third most successful project of all the graduates that semester.  Still don't have a job, though.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30280 on: May 20, 2011, 02:16:45 am »

My left eye won't stop twitching. It's driving me insane.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30281 on: May 20, 2011, 02:40:22 am »

Have you tried punching or stabbing it?
I find that gets eyes to stop twitching.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #30282 on: May 20, 2011, 02:52:18 am »

i think if it is within the line of sight of a necromancer it will be re-raised instantly

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30283 on: May 20, 2011, 06:37:45 am »

Which genres are you looking at researching the most?

Not sure.  Probably... a lot of stuff.  This area is so open to research that I can really explore all sorts of areas... from VNs to dating games to sexualization in fighting games to FPSs to RPGs.  For now I think I'll be sticking with RPGs because I really know them best and they generally have the heaviest emphasis on "story," but I'm not quite sure what else I'll be playing along the line.

For example, I'm not quite sure what I'd be able to get from, say, 4X games.

My graduation project was somewhat about this.  Not exactly research, but I gave it a ton of thought and consulted various professors and books and even had a 30 second chat with Scott McCloud about it (and he actually managed to be very helpful).

Wauw, thanks for that!  I'll look it over a bit later, when I have time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30284 on: May 20, 2011, 06:44:36 am »

I think my cat just dropped off a half dead lizard somewhere in my house, and I can't find it.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2017 2018 [2019] 2020 2021 ... 8167