Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1898 1899 [1900] 1901 1902 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452979 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you satiated today thread.
« Reply #28485 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:21 pm »

In other news, it turns out my hormone treatment stopped having effect, so my testosterone levels reverted to very low. So now my doctor wants me to get a shot of it instead.. I'm not sure why, but the thought makes me very uncomfortable. I think I'm going to have to cancel the appointment.. Or at least put it up for some time. I don't know.
How was this ~condition even noticed in the first place? At a glance, it sounds like something that wouldn't cause harm or require fixing.
It's a condition. Condition-condition. Common cause of depression, loss of energy, fatness (or rather, it makes it easier to get fat, I guess, as the actual fatness is caused by food ;) [/captainobvious]), amongst other things, those the only things I can remember. So yeah, it causes harm. And just to be clear, my level is not just "below average", it's really below average.
And it was discovered when my shrink got tired of anti-depressants not having the desired effect and started rooting through my systems for more directly biological causes. Amongst other things was a check for the levels of a lot of different hormones, and that was how it was noticed.

It's a bit of a hen/egg situation, though, as it's impossible to know whether it was my lack of testosterone that caused the depression or if it was the depression that lowered the hormone's levels, or if they began as individual issues. So I'm getting treatment for both.
Love, scriver~

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28486 on: April 21, 2011, 04:26:16 pm »

I can't decide if I should play Mabinogi or do my stream.

... Grrr.....
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28487 on: April 21, 2011, 04:28:17 pm »

UGH!

I just scraped my toe on the computer desk!

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28488 on: April 21, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »

Giving a presentation on the autism spectrum as portrayed through multimedia in mass society next Tuesday.

I'm really scared.  I can't afford to fuck this up.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28489 on: April 21, 2011, 04:38:44 pm »

Giving a presentation on the autism spectrum as portrayed through multimedia in mass society next Tuesday.

I'm really scared.  I can't afford to fuck this up.

Would love to know more about this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28490 on: April 21, 2011, 04:40:37 pm »

... ?  About its portrayal, or about the presentation, or about why I'm scared, or... what?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28491 on: April 21, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

About its portrayal sounds about right.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28492 on: April 21, 2011, 04:47:35 pm »

I guess I don't really know.  The subject just interests me.  I know how misunderstood it is.  I've had to explain autistic behavior to plenty of people, especially the type who are like "So he's like Rainman?" when they find out that my brother's autistic.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28493 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:10 pm »

Oh man, I didn't even think of that one... I was thinking more along the lines of that fucktard who wrote "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" and then got all kinds of acclaim for knowing sooooo much about how autistic people think, oh my god.  And then the autistic community quietly going "You know, guys, it's nice that you wrote a book about us but it really isn't quite like that..."

Jegus.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28494 on: April 21, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »

"Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime"

Hadn't even heard of this.  Will look it up.  Thanks.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28495 on: April 21, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »

God I hate that book, with some what of a passion. As I recall the author doesn't even have any degrees in the subject, they simply wrote a book from the perspective of somebody who lacked the ability to 'connect the dots' so to speak, and assumed that was it. Sickening.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28496 on: April 21, 2011, 05:00:07 pm »

@SalmonGod: You're welcome.

Yeah.  And then, if you look at all of the reviews from neurotypical people, they're pretty much all saying how awesome the book is, and how even if you didn't like the story you can at least see that it provides a valuable insight into the autistic mind.

BLUH BLUH BLEEEEECH.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28497 on: April 21, 2011, 05:03:56 pm »

You mean there are respected people who value this book as having 'insight'?

I think I need a moment to take that in. It just goes beyond belief...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28498 on: April 21, 2011, 05:09:25 pm »

You mean there are respected people who value this book as having 'insight'?

I think I need a moment to take that in. It just goes beyond belief...

Yes.  The reason why I shied against doing this presentation in the first place was because I was worried I'd try to maim the first person to defend the book with the volume itself, and extraction of processed tree carcasses from nasal cavities is a difficult procedure.

Now I'm just worried that they'll be uncomfortable and look at me funny, but... TOUGH FUCKING LUCK FOR THEM :I

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28499 on: April 21, 2011, 05:14:12 pm »

Something must be done!
Pages: 1 ... 1898 1899 [1900] 1901 1902 ... 8167