Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453526 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #22755 on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:15 am »

Ah well, hi-res vaginae won't kill you, save for very specific circumstances.
Such as in front of your parents
Or when it is covered in pustules and blisters.

Now, what was this topic, again?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22756 on: February 20, 2011, 03:16:49 am »

Now, what was this topic, again?

Not that. Anything but that.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22757 on: February 20, 2011, 04:21:02 am »

Agreed. The topic was something completely innocuous and harmless.

I 'sold' a bottle of vodka to my cousin about a month ago. I say 'sold' in that I said 'I bought this and will never drink it, so you can have it for thirty dollars'. At which point he took it out of the freezer and left. When I texted him about it, he replied 'i'll give you the money on friday'. That was friday a month ago. I still have not gotten any money for it, nor have I eaten today. He knows both of these things.
I will never lend him money again.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22758 on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:14 am »

I posted a while ago in the happy thread about me and a friend finding a site that would give us relatively basic access to programs like Maya to help our video game company get started, all for a not so bad monthly fee.  I couldn't access it right away because I had to leave on a family vacation, so I told him to get to know the programs while I was gone so we'd be able to make up for lost time.  I worked on concepts and ideas during the vacation as best I could with pen and paper, knowing he was probably accomplishing way more than I could.  I came to his place this weekend to see what he'd learned, and to see what we could build on.

Turns out he "lost all motivation" when I had to go on my family vacation (I had no choice in the matter about going, none), and wasted a good two weeks doing nothing at all.  So I had to wrestle his username and password out of him to load up the site to find the darn programs myself.  After two bad rounds of League of Legends.  Then I couldn't find them on the website.  And my friend laughed.  Finally posted on their forums, and their moderators curtly replied, "we only provide access to thousands of training videos here, you'll have to get the programs yourself."  Woah woah hey now, let me look up your advertisement that said... no wait, it heavily implied that I'd get access to those programs, but could also be taken to mean that I'd get access to their overpriced training software, not the actual gaming software.  When I tried to post about the advertisement in the forums, my post was "directed to the moderators for consideration" and was never actually posted.  Swell.

Back to square one again.  Is this an American thing or something?  I can't make games until I pay tens of thousands of dollars in software.  I can't make that much money without selling games.  I also need a ton of experience in game design, which I'd get from education in gaming... if I had the money.  It's so infuriating.  I see companies with experience, money, talent, time, and the expertise, and they crap out games like Metroid: Other M.  And all I can think about is "if I had been on that team, I could have made a difference.  I know good characterization, I know how to write, I could have made that game shine."  But no, no I can't.  I'm not good enough.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22759 on: February 20, 2011, 05:05:43 am »

No, it's because you aren't rich enough.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22760 on: February 20, 2011, 05:07:04 am »

no because you are not smart enough >.>
you really don't have to pay anything if you can program everything

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22761 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12:58 am »

try learning blender. it's free.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22762 on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:22 am »

no because you are not smart enough >.>
you really don't have to pay anything if you can program everything
And with what information are you making that assumption? Provide some please, I am interested as to how you know you can start up a video game company (a for-profit venture, incidentally, not what Toady is doing) without spending a cent if you have enough programming knowledge.

And if that sounded hostile, I promise this was an honest question and I don't mean to offend.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22763 on: February 20, 2011, 05:23:22 am »

Yeah, the gaming industry is kind of a Turtles all the way down kind of thing. You need to start in an exsisting company, and get the practice you need before you have a prayer of getting anywhere with your own company.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22764 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:11 am »

shit, i was gonna say you could have done the toady way except charge people money. in the end, its possible you can program a whole game yourself, theres enough products online that can be used with your game as long you provide a royalty fee or even just credit the product. obviously art is going to be a moneyhole.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22765 on: February 20, 2011, 06:24:49 am »

Do it the Notch way, obviously.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22766 on: February 20, 2011, 06:50:50 am »

It's very possible to do games without using all the fancy, big-ticket game dev software. That's pretty much what the indie gaming scene is all about.

It's damn near impossible to do an indie game that will resemble the glossy, special-effects laden extravaganzas of a Mass Effect 2, or CoD: Black Ops. That's where the big-ticket software seperates the commercial games from the indies.

In the same way that you can do a brilliant film with a digital camcorder or an old Hi8 camera for $10,000. But it's never going to look like Avatar, no matter how brilliant a cinematographer you have.

You wanna make games, don't worry about the gloss. The core of a great game is....well, exactly that. A great game. Which is something that comes from the mind of the designer, not from 3DStudio or GameBryo or any of those sort of tools.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22767 on: February 20, 2011, 07:08:37 am »

Yeah, The movie El Mariachi cost 1000 dollars to make, I think.

And then it made a bucketload, so they made the sequels, Desperado and Once upon a time in Mexico.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22768 on: February 20, 2011, 08:20:07 am »

Oh, I'm not saying it's not possible, certainly. Also, looking forward to seeing how you manage. Best of luck to you.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #22769 on: February 20, 2011, 02:00:45 pm »

I had a dream where a cute little brown dog just walked into our house and I was petting it, and suddenly our two cats come around the corner and start hissing at it and chasing it off. then they started to purr very loudly and collapsing in front of me trying to be cute. Poor dog.

I wonder if cats get jealous.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 8167