Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 [1448] 1449 1450 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9496225 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21705 on: February 06, 2011, 08:57:05 pm »

I've had a pretty rough day. But I think it's improving now at least... Still sad for now though.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21706 on: February 06, 2011, 09:04:19 pm »

Equius ;_;

STRONGCHOMP

I think you're taking this just a wee bit personally.  It's going to be okay.

Double Downs Man Lives Forever

He's not even dead yet.  People are scrambling for reasons to disbelieve the deaths of Feferi and Co. and ToonyMan's already arranging for Equius' funeral.
Shoes...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21707 on: February 06, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »

Guess who had only 1 of his 3 group members even bother to show up the entire weekend to work on a project which is nearly 2 weeks behind schedule despite telling them explicitly that I needed each of them there for at least 8 hours this weekend?  :-\

My cynicism is now close to an all time high due to the fact that people in this course are supposed to be the more elite group of a major made up of the top 25%. Gah, must us top .1% do everything? >_<
At this point I haven't had a weekend not entirely consumed by coding this project since winter break, with me spending 15+ hours per weekend in the lab working on it (to say nothing of the weekdays). To the point where my grades in other courses are suffering because of it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21708 on: February 06, 2011, 11:12:35 pm »

i telling you man, get their asses in gear or tell them to fuck off.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21709 on: February 06, 2011, 11:19:01 pm »

I'd rather you keep a high average in everything then devote your life to one class just so all your others fall.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21710 on: February 06, 2011, 11:26:39 pm »

Well, by suffering, I mean B's instead of A's in easy classes which are only somewhat in my major. And I need this project to turn out well, since it will be pretty much my only complete game project at the point in time when I will be applying for my first summer co-op job. Or to put it another way, this project gets f*cked up, and I will have a hell of a hard time trying to pay for another year of college.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21711 on: February 06, 2011, 11:29:29 pm »

what school are you going to? all of my colleges will be under 9 grand and im going to CU or Virginia Tech.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21712 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:41 pm »

http://finweb.rit.edu/sfs/billing/tuitionandfees/1011/undergraduate/fulltime.html
RIT; it's a 40k per year school. After scholarships and loans, it's still a good 10k per year or so. I really need a nice 15k co-op job over the summer...  :-\

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21713 on: February 06, 2011, 11:45:53 pm »

I'm probably going to UCONN because my math scores aren't enough for WPI.  :I

Remember?  Toony wants to be an engineer.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21714 on: February 06, 2011, 11:52:31 pm »

Here is Vector, full of rage.

Berkeley is full of fucking idiots.

Yes, that's right.  You heard me.  Fucking idiots.

People who don't know how to discuss things.  I want to throw this forum at them and say "Here, you twits!  Here's some people arguing.  Learn from them.  They know better than you and aren't just sitting around making tone arguments like they're actually saying something.  They aren't saying things like "I totally read Freud and now I'm trying to interpret my dreams, LOL, and he's like the Sherlock Holmes of the subconscious.  And he isn't scientific, hohoho.  And he's totally looking at the fragmented person."

What the fuck.  Your little head-bobs and ttly SoCal hand-gestures are not cute.  You look like a twit.  Stop concentrating so hard on being blonde and get your nose in the goddamned textbook.  Forget your mascara for once.  Be late for the bus, be so tired that you're afraid you might have slept through the day, get some dark circles under your eyes.

We all know that Freud has been repudiated.  Can we, as a culture, move on and actually think about what sort of interesting things he'd have to say?  The implications of his possibly being correct, the interesting readings we can get out of things, and so on?

And don't even get me started on math students!  I'm in an honors class, but that's full of nitwits too who can't even understand why 6Z is a subgroup of 3Z.  The guy goes "hurr durr will you be my tutor?"  I say "Only if you pay me," because it's obvious that he just isn't applying himself.  At all.  Then he says he's broke, but every day before class he gets me to explain the textbook to him.

And fuck me, too, for explaining it.

And screw the cute liberal arts majors who don't study for Russian quizzes, trololololo~

And the other math majors who wouldn't know a proof if it hit them in the nuts and said "PROVE ME, CAPTAIN, AND MAKE MY NIGHT."

I hardly study and I'm still better at, I don't know, not making a total fool of myself every single time I open my mouth.  I don't care how much the other women glare at me in class.  I don't care if they won't talk to me, and I don't care how pushy, rude, or irritating they think I am.

I don't care if the professor's answer to "I'm having some trouble with Nietzsche and would like more information on how to approach his perspective" is "Well, we aren't covering him much more in the semester so you don't have to worry for your grades," multiple times.  I asked politely.  She could answer, rather than saying "but that's irrelevant.  You don't need to learn that."

I am paying these people to educate me.  I want to be educated.  How fucking hard is it.  Weren't these people supposed to be experts?  Wasn't this institution supposed to be world-class?  Instead, it's just making us into sheep as we scurry harder and harder for "points" and "grades" rather than seeking true knowledge and wisdom.  We don't work out of a sense of pleasure in aesthetic principles.  We work because of stupid carrots and stupid sticks that only exist as human constructs, or in hopes of future material rewards--that we'd obviously get if we majored in rhetoric, right?

Do they just not care that much?  Are they just too stupid?  Are they just unwilling?

It isn't even that hard!

It isn't even that hard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21715 on: February 07, 2011, 12:20:15 am »

* Japa gives Vector a pat on the back

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21716 on: February 07, 2011, 12:28:31 am »

I inject Vector with a vial of mailbox.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21717 on: February 07, 2011, 12:41:49 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:12:09 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21718 on: February 07, 2011, 01:23:32 am »

You've a hell of a point there, Vector. I'll try and keep what you said in mind and work to learn, not to get points.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21719 on: February 07, 2011, 01:28:21 am »

Yeah, I've been disillusioned with education for a very long time as well.  My last two years in school, I didn't feel like I really learned anything.  I just stuck it out for that piece of paper that isn't really worth that much anymore.

Honestly, I think a lot of our education system is obsolete.  Information is so freely available, that people who are actually motivated to learn something only need to be shown the foundation of a subject and can take off on their own from there.

And I don't actually think the point of the education system is to educate anymore, anyway.  Once upon a time it was... now it only certifies a person's willingness and capability to jump through hoops.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 [1448] 1449 1450 ... 8168