Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1303 1304 [1305] 1306 1307 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476023 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19560 on: January 05, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »

And again I run into the mental brick wall of a friend being depressed, and finding myself in a weird situation. I want to help them, but every time they get like this I draw a blank and forget everything they like and what makes them happy. I am powerless to help them. And it tears me up knowing that they are miserable.

And for added weirdness I'm getting a vibe that they are starting to bully me through this. This friend does have a very... strong personality, but recent questions and remarks are giving the real impression that they are using their sadness to get what they want. If I assume my assumptions are true then I really don't know what to do. If I'm wrong then I have a doublesad friend.

Friendship is hard.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19561 on: January 05, 2011, 05:20:56 pm »

And again I run into the mental brick wall of a friend being depressed, and finding myself in a weird situation. I want to help them, but every time they get like this I draw a blank and forget everything they like and what makes them happy. I am powerless to help them. And it tears me up knowing that they are miserable.

And for added weirdness I'm getting a vibe that they are starting to bully me through this. This friend does have a very... strong personality, but recent questions and remarks are giving the real impression that they are using their sadness to get what they want. If I assume my assumptions are true then I really don't know what to do. If I'm wrong then I have a doublesad friend.

Friendship is hard.

Something that almost everyone likes: food.
Something else almost everyone likes: playing a game (board game, video game, anything multiplayer)
Hopefully that's just enough to get them to talk to you, which is the huge gateway into helping a person.

Ideally you want them to use you for social things (you want to use them too! they're your friend). So, if you can, patiently try to get them to do the fun things. Eventually they might realize "hey, this is how I get to be happy, doing fun things with friends", and then the problem is basically solved.

For some reason, my computer stopped connecting to the internet. It connects to the router fine, but won't go any further. So, I'm stuck using the wife's laptop. I despise laptop keyboards. :(

However, I second the rum'n'coke. It does make for a better day.
I wonder if... oh we should probably put troubleshooting on a different thread.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19562 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

Arkham Horror: the Drinking Game. For each hour you spend setting up the game, each player gets a shot to "distribute" to another player, one at a time, throughout the game. Every time the terror level changes or a gate opens, everyone takes a shot. If someone closes a gate, everyone else takes a shot. If you are killed or lost in space in time, take a shot, and move your piece to the asylum with no inventory or money. If the eldrich abomination wakes up, everyone takes a shot. If the eldrich abomination defeats your party, take a double, and start the game over.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19563 on: January 05, 2011, 05:33:28 pm »

Arkham Horror: the Drinking Game. For each hour you spend setting up the game, each player gets a shot to "distribute" to another player, one at a time, throughout the game. Every time the terror level changes or a gate opens, everyone takes a shot. If someone closes a gate, everyone else takes a shot. If you are killed or lost in space in time, take a shot, and move your piece to the asylum with no inventory or money. If the eldrich abomination wakes up, everyone takes a shot. If the eldrich abomination defeats your party, take a double, and start the game over.

Dude, I'm getting plastered just calculating how much booze an average game for 4 would require!

On topic, the fact people are actually upset by such trivial things as tildes and "Auuu." Seriously, nothing makes the internet look like it's full of emotionally fragile closet dwellers than stuff like that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19564 on: January 05, 2011, 05:35:21 pm »

Just think, I usually play with 8 folks.

I'm sad that I haven't played that in a long while.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19565 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:12 pm »

I'm suprised you've played it at all without dying of alchohol poisoning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19566 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »

Go revive the Dedicated Tech Thread if you can find it. I thinks thats what that was for
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19567 on: January 05, 2011, 05:49:03 pm »

I'm suprised you've played it at all without dying of alchohol poisoning.

Depends. An 8 hour game of Arkham Horror with lots of table talk wouldn't be that much different than an epic bar crawl.

Just more tentacles.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19568 on: January 05, 2011, 05:51:43 pm »

You obviously go to the wrong bars.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19569 on: January 05, 2011, 05:55:07 pm »

I said "more."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19570 on: January 05, 2011, 06:05:05 pm »

Someone needs to sig that stuff.

(I like my new pony too much)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19571 on: January 05, 2011, 06:28:37 pm »

Go revive the Dedicated Tech Thread if you can find it. I thinks thats what that was for

Indeed it was (amongst other things), but people seemed not to like it. I may start one in Life Advice if there is need for one, since that's where it belongs the most.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19572 on: January 05, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »

The fact that I do not have a girlfriend, and can't seem to get one.  Ever.  I am awkward!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19573 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:54 pm »

Good thing:

Found solutions manual for chapter whose problems are giving me trouble.

Bad thing:

Many of my solutions are wrong.  Like, maybe half.  Or 75%.

Fuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19574 on: January 05, 2011, 09:28:01 pm »

Jeez, no wonder they're giving you problems if the solutions manual can't even get them right. Is it time to use the universal answer to all of life's questions?

Pages: 1 ... 1303 1304 [1305] 1306 1307 ... 8167