Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450106 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12555 on: September 15, 2010, 10:12:47 am »

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm the exact opposite. I think i've gotten better over the years, and if I could go back in time, one of the first things I'd do is slap the shit out of my younger self and try to prevent a number of stupid decisions and instill more self-confidence.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: September 15, 2010, 10:25:12 am »

Somehow I was never beaten up in my first fifteen or sixteen years before I got my act together.  I have no idea how, but if I could go back in time I would change that.  I would also sit behind myself with a cattle prod and shock myself every time I started to do something retarded or talk about stuff nobody cares about.

I changed for the better, I believe.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:32 am »

I'm a bit concerned by this:

Yeah. Vector, concerning oneself with upcoming events (to a point, that is), and beinga able to tell people off without worrying for peer rejection are signs of maturity (meaning, I think we ought to put a very strict limit on the number of things we are willing to put up with for the sake of peer acceptance. And balance it against that acceptance's benefits.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:39:44 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »

I realized me starting to work probably isn't really practical...

Bye bye only chance of upgrading...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: September 15, 2010, 01:30:14 pm »

Quote from: Janet, Aqizzar, etc.
I was thinking about my place here. Again.

I just don't fit into the academia minded people here.
I have no love for the games hosted here anymore
I find myself liking people here less and less.
I feel the same, except for the first point being in the opposite direction. I haven't had the time or will to really play games for years and likely wont for decades. I supposedly come here because it's the only place where I have a feeling of belonging and community, but I don't feel like I really have that any more, instead becoming some kind of Memetic Moron in the eyes of the comunity. Reading the forums has become a chore, a compulsion preformed due to some misguided sense of duty. The quality of the culture has degraded to the point where it's hardly any better than any random place online, and people just seem increasingly narrow-minded, idiotic, petty, and downright sociopathic.
Yet I *can't* leave, simply because I have nowhere else to go, I have attempted many times to integrate into some other online community and I'm simply not up to the task, and because I have no IRL contacts what so ever I HAVE to go SOMEWHERE.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:19 pm »

I'm a bit concerned by this:

... I think you guys take me a bit too seriously.  No, the grass is not greener.  Just because I did not list all of my embarrassing childhood habits does not mean that I am not aware of having them.  I also do not want them back.

For example, I can now eat food without getting it absolutely everywhere, and I have stopped being such a hardcore procrastinator.  Just because I could work for longer hours does not mean that I did work them.  I largely don't pick fights, and can figure out when others are provoking me.  I don't feel threatened by other intelligent people anymore.  I have a sense of taste, and think with far more mental clarity than I did.  I am capable of compassion and have stopped trying to see if I could make babies cry if I look at them hard enough (they always cheered up when I glared at them, by the way--I'm convinced that this was entirely out of spite).

I guess I'll put it this way.  I have no problems with my overall personality; it's just that I've accepted some fetters I didn't want.  Though I'd be the first to admit that I govern myself with a strict system of interlocking laws, I don't see why I should put any particular effort into dressing like other people, when it just makes me uncomfortable and feel like I don't look like myself.  I also don't see why I should let mild physical discomforts bother me.  That's all... nothing more, nothing less.  Very simple.

My apologies if you misunderstood me, but I thank you for your concern.  I'm okay, doodabuddy.  I've been okay for a long time now, and I'm not stuck here idealizing my childhood self or anything.  Hell, I'm not idealizing Rosewood, either.  I'm just seeing some things I threw away somewhere down the line, which I've felt the lack of for a long time without realizing what I was missing.

Looks like you made the same realization, that I discribed in that post some time ago, which you probably never read, about when I had it.

Read it.  Took a while to sink in.

Yeah. Vector, concerning oneself with upcoming events (to a point, that is), and beinga able to tell people off without worrying for peer rejection are signs of maturity (meaning, I think we ought to put a very strict limit on the number of things we are willing to put up with for the sake of peer acceptance. And balance it against that acceptance's benefits.

I... do concern myself with upcoming events?  It's just that I once disbelieved all the people telling me "no, you can't do that, that's too hard for you," to good effects.  I'd like to do that again--the naysayers were just about always wrong.  I can also tell people off just fine, but think that learning to keep my temper in some instances would be a good thing.  Being able to maintain a sense of self while holding one's tongue is another sign of maturity.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:08:19 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:39 pm »

The grass is always greener, even chronologically speaking. When we look back at our childhood, and who we were, we tend to idealize them in the extreme. However, all the traits that make you You are still here, they've just grown into something new and more complex; what you're looking at are the formative aspects of who you are now... and thinking about how, if you knew then what you know now, it could have been different. You'd not be able to see the things that you want to change now, though, if you hadn't learned them in the first place. And some day, the things you see in your personality today will be formative parts of an older you, who made decisions and grew based on these things... and you'll probably end up idealizing the present-day you then.

There's nothing wrong with change and personal development.
However, how can you idly sit by and watch as positive traits, things you love about yourself and the way you percieve youself degenerate right before your very eyes.

I'm not talking about Vector now (making any assesments, on another persons situation, over the internet is quite pointless), but I speak for myself.

I believe someone with s strong sense of self, wouldn't elude oneself over such a matter.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12562 on: September 15, 2010, 02:06:46 pm »

I just heard they're going to broadcast the animated Scoot Pilgrim thing on Adult Swim.

I was like yeah yeah oh yeah reads Vector's post

oh noooo

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: September 15, 2010, 02:08:58 pm »

Feh, I'm naturally drawn to preach with much to-do whenever people talk about problems they face. I need to look into ditching the soapbox, since it's mostly serving as a way for me to distract from my own issues, but still feel like I'm making progress... a force of habit from that being the social role I served among friends for years.

By now, the soapbox is practically attached to my feet. :/

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #12564 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:10 pm »

The happy bit, I found adamantine in the first year. The sad bits, I found adamanite in the first year, and it's at the bottom of a volcano.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: September 15, 2010, 02:20:31 pm »

Feh, I'm naturally drawn to preach with much to-do whenever people talk about problems they face. I need to look into ditching the soapbox, since it's mostly serving as a way for me to distract from my own issues, but still feel like I'm making progress... a force of habit from that being the social role I served among friends for years.

Don't talk about it, like if it was a bad habit.

Todays society lacks people who truly care, or at least try to be supportive.
I'd be glad, if I had someone to set me straight every once in a while.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: September 15, 2010, 02:20:50 pm »

I don't think I'd try to stop my younger self from being an idiot.  Sure, I was one, but that stage was important to making me less of an idiot now

And while I was probably too far away from mainstreamness, that means I am now fairly resistant to peer pressure.

As for actual sadness... well, we started the section of the history course on the American Civil Rights movement.  After looking at some statistics about inequality in America, someone put their hand up.
"How many non white people are there in this room?"

Damnit.  This course seems rather close to home now.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: September 15, 2010, 02:26:04 pm »

HEY HEY, NO

SHUT UP

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: September 15, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »

HEY HEY, NO

SHUT UP

Could you explain why?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: September 15, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »

I was setting you straight.
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 8167