Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9474041 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #8985 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »

Suddenly, I begin to understand why people turn to religion.  It's a hell of a lot easier when you have someone else to tell you what to do.

My ex told me last night that even if she knew religion was an illusion, she'd keep believing it.  This from someone who always told me that she wanted truth above all else.

Those two statements are not incompatible, IMHO.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: August 03, 2010, 03:14:54 pm »

My ex told me last night that even if she knew religion was an illusion, she'd keep believing it.  This from someone who always told me that she wanted truth above all else.

Ouch, man... better luck next time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: August 03, 2010, 04:32:35 pm »

Religions are the training wheels for civilization's bicycle, and help keep us morally upright until we can internalize the importance of being good people.

Nah, seriously.  The state of being 20 is starting to incur my wrath.  Social muck, figuring out who you should be, one's values... bleh.  So much work!  My days end up being spent reading philosophical books, doing mathematics, and attempting futilely to get a never-ending stack of chores out of the way.  This "adult" thing... what a pain in the ass.  It's a gigantic logistics problem, too.

I feel your pain, only a few days and I'll be 21. Mostly though I lost sight of my future, or my desired future, and have ended up in a terrible job. It's not helping me form a sense of cohesive identity. I really need to get back into education but I'm terrified that I can't do it any more.

Hey, I'm 23, and I just left a terrible job that had nothing to do with my desired future (*middle finger* to you, Office Job!), and got back on track towards my educational goals. It's immensely liberating, and can always be done. The future is always filled with possibilities and awesome things, but sometimes we get so lost in the morass around us that we can't see it.

As for growing up, it's not something you can force, but something that comes from just being put in more and more positions of self-reliance. And I'm happy to announce that it doesn't require that you to stop being a dork either.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: August 03, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »

Can we not risk this becoming another theocracy debate that gets the thread locked? That would be very sad indeed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: August 03, 2010, 05:31:27 pm »

Can we not risk this becoming another theocracy debate that gets the thread locked? That would be very sad indeed.

Sure, though I don't think we're debating so much as offering one-line opinions.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

Sure, it starts with us offering one-line opinions, but then one of us ends up refuting another's opinion (like I almost did to Solifuge). Then that person and others refute back, and the other side does the same more agressively, and it just spirals out of control into an insult-fest so Toady has to lock the thread/mute people. This sort of thing has happened before.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: August 03, 2010, 05:37:02 pm »

Sure, it starts with us offering one-line opinions, but then one of us ends up refuting another's opinion (like I almost did to Solifuge). Then that person and others refute back, and the other side does the same more agressively, and it just spirals out of control into an insult-fest so Toady has to lock the thread/mute people. This sort of thing has happened before.

I see.

Maybe you should just send a PM, if you feel a need to debate?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: August 03, 2010, 05:41:21 pm »

Or, better yet, just kill everyone involved in the debate.

Or just grow a pair (of whatever you happen to be equipped with), stop arguing over stupid pointless things over the internet, and get on with your lives.

EDIT:

If anyone cares, I vote for the option where organic life forms are destroyed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:42:56 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: August 03, 2010, 05:42:49 pm »

Or just grow a pair (of whatever you happen to be equipped with), stop arguing over stupid pointless things over the internet, and get on with your lives.

Pointfulness is in the eye of the beholder.  But yes, it'd probably be better to stop talking about this.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: August 03, 2010, 06:19:53 pm »

EDIT:

Bay12 Gladiator Arena. We can set up cards like the UFC, and for card 1, we'll headline Aquizzar vs Armok!

(Note: I'm not trying to create drama. Srsly. There's enough as it is.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: August 03, 2010, 07:09:42 pm »

EDIT:

Bay12 Gladiator Arena. We can set up cards like the UFC, and for card 1, we'll headline Aquizzar vs Armok!

(Note: I'm not trying to create drama. Srsly. There's enough as it is.)

This must be done. Even if it's a computer simulation.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:03 pm »

Suddenly, I begin to understand why people turn to religion.  It's a hell of a lot easier when you have someone else to tell you what to do.

Sure as hell, it was alot easier when I was younger and actualy believed in something. Its easy as hell when you can just kneel and pray and actualy believe something will come out of it, it gives you hope when you have nothing else to turn to. Too bad it doesn't work after you realize there's a pretty big chance none of it is true and stop believing completely.

Anyways, today on college, this nice girl that has aways talked to me ever since I started taking the morning classes sorta drifted away while we were discussing everyday stuff and started talking about how she sorta broke up multiple times with her boyfriend during the last month and how she's not sure of how it'll end, then some time later after classes she got extra friendly with me.
Whats odd is that after asking around a bit I found out that they only started fighting about 2 months ago, which was when we first met. She knows I'm gay, but now I'm scared I may have indirecly caused it in someway, which doesn't make me sad, but makes me feel weird as hell.

EDIT: I also sorta fainted today, but apparently it was just sleep deprivation, it was even pleasant in some way :P, but its sorta creepy when you're watching tv on bed then you suddenly open yours eyes seemingly a second later, half of your face is numb and you notice 20 minutes passed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 07:31:15 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: August 03, 2010, 07:38:19 pm »

This wasn't my goal, and I apologize if what I said seemed condescending or rude. I wrote it with a great deal of respect for religions, and the religious.

Anyways, today on college, this nice girl that has aways talked to me ever since I started taking the morning classes sorta drifted away while we were discussing everyday stuff and started talking about how she sorta broke up multiple times with her boyfriend during the last month and how she's not sure of how it'll end, then some time later after classes she got extra friendly with me.
Whats odd is that after asking around a bit I found out that they only started fighting about 2 months ago, which was when we first met. She knows I'm gay, but now I'm scared I may have indirecly caused it in someway, which doesn't make me sad, but makes me feel weird as hell.

Dakk, she might just want someone to talk to about it, or may be looking for validation or a second opinion from someone she trusts not to act on it. Just treat listening and helping her through it as the friendly thing to do, and it should be fine.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: August 03, 2010, 07:47:15 pm »

This wasn't my goal, and I apologize if what I said seemed condescending or rude. I wrote it with a great deal of respect for religions, and the religious.
I only referenced you because I caught myself in the middle of a paragraph long counter-point to your statement. Indeed, your great respect for religions is what triggered this spontanious reaction on my part, that will never be posted to avoid horrible thread burning flame wars.

So, no, nothing condescending or rude about your post.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: August 03, 2010, 07:55:23 pm »

I just found out there's Whose Line is it Anyway slash fiction on the internet.

I'm having trouble reconfiguring my worldview to justify living in a world where that exists.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 8167