Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9497779 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4980 on: April 29, 2010, 06:34:01 am »

On that note - there was a battle somewhere where horsemen charged heavy weapons. Chinese whispers managed to take 'capture those cannons', and turn it into 'charge those machine guns'. Which is what they did, and they were killed to a man.

Can't remember what it's called. I thought it was called the charge of the light horse brigade, but that happened when Australian light horse were in the desert and they charged one of Rommel's outposts, something which was unheard of because they were mostly used to get infantry to a distance where they could dismount and shoot. But they charged the trenches, and the turks shot at them and missed, because they still had their 303's set at 600 ft because they weren't expecting the horses to run under them.

'hem.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: April 29, 2010, 06:40:09 am »

And so dies the use of cavalry, at least it went out in glory...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: April 29, 2010, 06:43:39 am »

It was, in fact, the charge of the Light Horse Brigade.

Into the valley of death, rode the 600

I think about 500 of them survived, but most had their horses shot from under them and to lose 100 or so men in one charge is pretty devastating. They did manage to take the cannons, and (this is where my knowledge gets shaky) were forced to give them up again, for reasons I forget heavy casualties and enemy fire, apparently.

EDIT: 278 casualties aprox, according to Wikipedia, 156 dead. 335 horses killed, too. Nasty stuff.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:46:43 am by Jackrabbit »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: April 29, 2010, 06:45:35 am »

On that note - there was a battle somewhere where horsemen charged heavy weapons. Chinese whispers managed to take 'capture those cannons', and turn it into 'charge those machine guns'. Which is what they did, and they were killed to a man.

Can't remember what it's called. I thought it was called the charge of the light horse brigade, but that happened when Australian light horse were in the desert and they charged one of Rommel's outposts, something which was unheard of because they were mostly used to get infantry to a distance where they could dismount and shoot. But they charged the trenches, and the turks shot at them and missed, because they still had their 303's set at 600 ft because they weren't expecting the horses to run under them.

'hem.
Guess who did that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Somosierra
Yup, it's those crazy Poles again. They actually took all the cannons, suffering about 50% casaulties.

ed: ninja'd by J. - right, might be that one too. Each one remembers their own nation's exploits best, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:47:40 am by Il Palazzo »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:53 am »

'Twas in fact the Battle of Balaclava that involved the Light Horse Brigade, which is rather more famous worldwide, not that the Poles don't kick ass left right and center.

Incidentally, they were lead by one Lord Cardigan. Apparently half the clothes we wear originated from one battle with the Russians.

edit: for the interested: Someone had blundered.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:50:40 am by Jackrabbit »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: April 29, 2010, 06:54:49 am »

Well the charge I'm thinking of was led by Gen. Harry Chauvel.

AH. After wikipedia-ing, I found it. It was the battle of Beersheba, where Chauvel ordered the 4th light horse to charge the turkish trenches.

"When the line of horsemen got within range of the Turkish riflemen in the trenches, they started to take casualties but the defenders failed to allow for the speed of their approach so once they were within half a mile of the trenches, the defenders' bullets started passing overhead as they found it difficult to alter the sights on rifles quickly enough when confronted with rapidly moving horsemen. This kept the numbers of casualties low for the charging Light Horsemen.

The light horsemen jumped the front trenches and dismounted behind the line where they turned and engaged the Turks with bayonets. The Turks were in many cases so demoralised that they quickly surrendered. One Australian, who was dazed after having his horse shot from under him, recovered to find his five attackers with their hands up, waiting to be taken prisoner."

Ta-daaa.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: April 29, 2010, 06:58:01 am »

Oh that. Yeah that was awesome. I read about it on Cracked. I knew what you meant from the start, but I misread your post and thought you were trying to remember another charge involving Light Horsemen where Chinese Whispers caused a catastrophic misinterpretation of orders. Apparently there's be three involving Light Horsemen. Who'da thunk it.

Basically I was eager to show off my histroknowledgeamadege.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:59:35 am by Jackrabbit »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: April 29, 2010, 07:05:02 am »

As we all are. This probably makes me sad.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4988 on: April 29, 2010, 01:53:31 pm »

Woke up at noon, feeling in a crappy mood, and it looks like paradise out.

Why is it always so pleasant outside when I am not in the mood to enjoy it?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: April 29, 2010, 02:03:34 pm »

You could plan an outdoor activity to cause the weather to turn into a freak storm, just to spite others
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4990 on: April 29, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »

You could plan an outdoor activity to cause the weather to turn into a freak storm, just to spite others
Won't work, I already ran numerous experiments. Only I am afflicted with bad luck, and everyone around me benefits from it. If I benefit from someone else's bad luck, then it's gonna have to take a lot of someones.

BTW, the weather is too clear and calm, and knows I'm in no mood for any outdoor activity, so nothing is being done to work against me. And even if I were to go ahead and do something fun, I would be in no mood to enjoy it anyway. To do wrong would be doing what I would want it to do; prove me right.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:12:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: April 29, 2010, 02:11:33 pm »

Got a lead yesterday night on a job I was perfect for. They needed someone who knew Simply Accounting like the back of their hand, I earned 100% in my Simply Accounting course. The place was a 5-7 minute walk from my home and was right near my wife's place of work. I put together an awesome cover letter, made sure my resume and references were perfect, got on my best clothes, prettied myself up (even managed to tame some pretty funky hair) and set out to wow this person.

I arrived, he was in an interview with someone already, She was wearing regular clothes, jeans and some top. The receptionist said she would tell him I was there once he was out of his meeting with the other job seeker.

I waited patiently. The girl left, I thought to myself "she wore jeans to her interview? I'm a shoe in!" He came out and asked what I was there for, I introduced myself and started explaining why I was there. He looked at me and said "Well I just hired that person who just left."

SHE WAS WEARING JEANS! TO AN INTERVIEW AT AN OFFICE!

I'm going to be "that weird jobless guy" for the rest of my life. And I thought my marks at college would count for something.

I just don't care anymore today. That's something I can worry about tomorrow. If I drank alcohol, I'd be hitting a bottle so hard right now...
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4992 on: April 29, 2010, 02:22:15 pm »

Ooh, I've had that happen before with a pretty nice Graphic Design job. Location, requirements, and everything were perfect for me, and this was a decent amount of time ago (about half a year ago at least), and I was bested by a neophyte (far less qualified than I was). And I was among the top 6 to be hired as well.

Presentable and everything, and all I was there to to apparently was just drop off my resume and cover letter. No more. To bother me more, winding down from a disappointment, despite looking and acting my best, I turned no heads while touring around town. I feel like there's just no point to anything anymore. Why else do I feel freelancing is the best way to go with life? I'm just trying to survive until the supposed apocalypse, just to see if it'll be enjoyable or not. If it really does happen, I'm willing to throw an "end of days" party.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:33 pm »

Speaking of the apocalypse, I'm somewhat tempted to binge through some business classes to set up a loan company for 2012. Think of all those poor suckers thinking they can get a $250,000 loan right before the world ends.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: April 29, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »

And then they declare bankrupcy and leave you penniless...
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 8168