Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4368 4369 [4370] 4371 4372 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9421426 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65535 on: September 09, 2013, 08:21:09 pm »

Not the sort of thing you'd expect to see from the source, but this.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-moments-that-prove-mr.-rogers-was-greatest-american/

Unequivocally this.

A lot of people of a lot of faiths are waiting for the Messiah, but even if one arrives, how are you going to tell the difference between him and Fred Rogers?

There's very few people of which that could be said, but there's a strong element of truth in this case.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65536 on: September 09, 2013, 08:27:36 pm »

The article made me tear up, but it was the video at the very end that broke the camel's back. I could barely even finish it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65537 on: September 09, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »

MEH. Family vacation, but people are so angry and literally running over toddlers with strollers on purpose out of anger and it just kills the mood, you know? So much yelling and cussing in front of little kids.

I check some things, and realize I totally forgot about a group project. Waking up early tomorrow please add me to the document by then so I can add my stuff. Vacation makes me forget things, I feel really terrible but luckily they got things done without me except my part, so I am just praying that she checks her Facebook messages (no cell phone and doesn't check email) before school. It might not even be due tomorrow but if it is I am going to feel like a terrible dirt bag.

Two people while I was gone did at least a little bit of work to set things up for me, but they conflict with each other and I have to go apologize to someone. (I had a free period in school and was going to turn it into an independent project period which required my favorite teacher to help me fill out some paperwork. Then the principal asked me if I wanted to do paid tutoring, and I said yes, not realizing that it would be during the school day, so I'm going to have to go apologize to him...)

Argument in the hotel room about how I am not doing enough to set myself up to go to college, followed by me reading "50 Successful Harvard Application Essays" and wanting to cry because while my writing isn't bad, my creativeness and humor sucks, and I keep being told again and again that if I want to get in anywhere good I need a perfect essay. Seriously, these things are scary. Entire essay about how being short has made someone such an awesome person. I just have no clue what to do. "INTERNET FORUMS SAVED MY LIFE", I think.

Things just keep piling on and it's leading to one of those nights where I have to bash my head into a wall repeatedly. (Or maybe pull out the guided meditation MP3's).

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:54:36 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #65538 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:28 pm »

Argument in the hotel room about how I am not doing enough to set myself up to go to college, followed by me reading "50 Successful Harvard Application Essays" and wanting to cry because while my writing isn't bad, my creativeness and humor sucks, and I keep being told again and again that if I want to get in anywhere good I need a perfect essay. Seriously, these things are scary. Entire essay about how being short has made someone such an awesome person. I just have no clue what to do. "INTERNET FORUMS SAVED MY LIFE", I think.

Things just keep piling on and it's leading to one of those nights where I have to bash my head into a wall repeatedly. (Or maybe pull out the guided meditation MP3's).

Internet high-five. Pretty much in the same situation. All this extra mental pressure from college deadlines for all these things--SATs, applications, essays, scholarships and scholarship applications, financial aid, ALL THE THINGS EVER-- and I swear I just don't know how to handle it or why I'm supposed to handle it or how everyone else seems to know how to handle it just fine and they actually want to handle this crap and why can't I handle it like they can ohgodaminotgoodenoughohmanohgodohmanohgod-- and then I procrastinate because there's so many impending deadlines. I swear that's ironic.

A lot of people of a lot of faiths are waiting for the Messiah, but even if one arrives, how are you going to tell the difference between him and Fred Rogers?

There's very few people of which that could be said, but there's a strong element of truth in this case.

Yeah, Mister Rogers is pretty awesome. Also, this is probably the understatement of the century.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!!
« Reply #65539 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:46 pm »

Internet high-five. Pretty much in the same situation. All this extra mental pressure from college deadlines for all these things--SATs, applications, essays, scholarships and scholarship applications, financial aid, ALL THE THINGS EVER-- and I swear I just don't know how to handle it or why I'm supposed to handle it or how everyone else seems to know how to handle it just fine and they actually want to handle this crap and why can't I handle it like they can ohgodaminotgoodenoughohmanohgodohmanohgod-- and then I procrastinate because there's so many impending deadlines. I swear that's ironic.
Luckily, I find filling out the tedious forms (what is your address? what is your birthday? give us your SSN! do you want all the colleges to know where you live, sleep, and eat, in exchange for free applications to a few places you don't care about? No? Oh, that's a shame, somebody already sold them all of your personal information!) a bit comforting. It's like getting things done at least a bit, without having to try. It soothes me.

But send me a PM if you ever want to talk about fun similar stresses, or share essays (I can proofread things still, I think D:) or something. Or have a head into the wall party.

Also on the saddness level, the really hot hot tub here is 21+. The heck? It's not the booze hot tub, it's just ten degrees hotter than the other one!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65540 on: September 09, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »

I read that book before I applied.  Trust me, it's. . . it's really pretty full of shit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65541 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »

I read that book before I applied.  Trust me, it's. . . it's really pretty full of shit.

That's good to hear. I do feel like people are overreacting at least a little bit about the essay, but I'm mostly worried because if it isn't amazing I have people like my mother who will make me miserable, more so than Random College Admissions Person I Will Never Speak To. If there was a way to keep her from reading it before I submit it I'd totally get on that boat, but that would probably make her even more upset. I feel like no matter what I write people will think it's terrible somehow. :S

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65542 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:13 pm »

They aren't amazing.  Didn't you read the one about the girl who wrote about her emotional dependence on her shower?  And hell, the very first one was about--what--an especially nice birthday party?  They may have polish, but anyone can buy that by getting a powerful enough proofreader.  They're completely lacking in real charm.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65543 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:30 pm »

I had a relatively easy time with the prep for college, mainly because I knew where I wanted to go and had pretty darn good credentials and thus got in pretty easily.
Once I got here, things haven't been going nearly as well. Nearing the end of my first semester (my school has the pleasure of starting in mid July!) and it looks like I'll be lucky if I manage a 2.5, at a school where a 2.0 and under is grounds for revocation of scholarships and/or dismissal. On top of that, I've been in the hospital more in the past few months than I have in my entire K-12 career.
And now, here I am, working on a research paper that I have no idea where I'm going with; and the paper happened to be due roughly nine hours ago. >.<
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65544 on: September 09, 2013, 10:31:40 pm »

They aren't amazing.  Didn't you read the one about the girl who wrote about her emotional dependence on her shower?  And hell, the very first one was about--what--an especially nice birthday party?  They may have polish, but anyone can buy that by getting a powerful enough proofreader.  They're completely lacking in real charm.

Haven't gotten that far yet, only just started tonight. I do agree with that assessment so far though, they aren't really...meaningful. They are cutesey, I think is how I would describe them so far. (The first one was about some guy who couldn't decide between science and humanities and did some other stuff. It was probably one of the better ones I've read so far.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65545 on: September 10, 2013, 01:14:42 am »

Don't got too far now until I break down.

Not a very good way to start the fall. Then again I did go clothes shopping and that will ruin my week for sure... and the fact that I'll have to do it again...

Ohh no... I'll have to do it again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65546 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28:49 am »

I forgot Cirno Day was a byword for FLU SEASON HO! Now my everything hurts, with the throat excelling at it. I can barely speak, fuck's sakes.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #65547 on: September 10, 2013, 03:36:01 am »

I often find it tricky to remember the names of the characters/people in books. Started reading Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks last night which reminded me. His Sci-fi books seem to be worse than average for this, but I had no problem with Inversions which was the previous of the series I read. I'm not sure why it isn't always a problem.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65548 on: September 10, 2013, 08:37:01 am »

For the past month or so, I've had some mucous at the back of my throat constantly.

It is irritating. I can get rid of it via coughing, but it always comes back the next day.
Sounds like it could possibly be walking pneumonia.  Mine took about a month or so to clear up on its own.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65549 on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:25 pm »

Fuck you sleep
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 4368 4369 [4370] 4371 4372 ... 8167