Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8002 8003 [8004] 8005 8006 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500984 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120045 on: June 10, 2021, 10:59:47 am »

Development of my game is going nowhere, I am having the coder's equivalent of writer's block.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120046 on: June 10, 2021, 12:15:15 pm »

But on the plus side, we do live in the timeline with Tim Curry
Who's that?   
Rocky horror picture show guy, Hexxus in fern gully, probably some other stuff.
Also Wadsworth from the Clue movie, the demon from Legend, Stratos from Sacrifice (the game), Long John Silver from Muppet Treasure Island, Richelieu in the '93 Three Musketeers movie with Sheen and Sutherland, Pennywise from the original IT... And many many many other things in his delightfully extensive career.

But on the plus side, we do live in the timeline with Tim Curry
Where did you gain such wisdom Kagus? I wish to learn it too

Beard

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #120047 on: June 10, 2021, 05:13:55 pm »

Development of my game is going nowhere, I am having the coder's equivalent of writer's block.

I think that's just called "coder's block", but now I'm thinking of the blocks that codecs work in, so it "helpfully" disambiguates in my mind to "the (en/dec)coder's block", which is confusing me.

While this isn't a Sad, a related confusion occurs whenever y'all use "Vec", because that's both referring to "Vector" (the person), and "vector" (the math/programming concept). Every time I see code like:

Code: [Select]
fn hold_my_vec<T>(_: Vec<T>) {}

fn main() {
    let v = vec![2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17];
    hold_my_vec(v);
    let element = v.get(3);

println!("I got this element from the vector: {:?}", element);
}

No, that won't compile. Borrow checker and all that. But the thing that's getting me is that each time "vec" is used here, my brain is trying to disambiguate between Vector the person and "vector" the math concept. I'm doing double-takes each time I see Rust code that uses vector data types. I think it's pretty entertaining to think "did Vector sneak into someone's Rust?" for a few seconds, so I'm not stopping any of you.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 05:15:26 pm by methylatedspirit »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120048 on: June 12, 2021, 01:00:04 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:56:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120049 on: June 12, 2021, 10:29:13 am »

An aunt of my wife died of covid. Another one has it too, and it seems at least 4 more of her closest family (including her grandma and her mom) have early symptoms. By sheer dumb luck her little sister has some time staying with us so she's safe at least.

She just told me that she feels like the gates of hell opened to take away her family. Most of those people are in the risk group due age and/or have baseline chronic illness that put them on the risk group.

And there's not a single thing we can do about it... is fucking disheartening.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120050 on: June 12, 2021, 11:58:15 am »

Damn man, I'm sorry.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120051 on: June 13, 2021, 09:17:50 am »

I'm worried about the health of someone close to me .  Rationally I know the odds of something being bad are less than 1%, and the odds of something very bad are less than 0.1%. I still feel worried sick, though
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120052 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:46 am »

Hey, that is a lottery no one wants to play, even with those odds.

My wife aunt was returned today, as a box with ashes.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120053 on: June 15, 2021, 05:17:41 pm »

So I finally talked with the medical team and after a review by the radiologist proper they said the size is 11 rather than 7mm. I learned the location which is supposedly good, and on ct it seems localized and isolated. I didnt learn the shape. I'm waiting for a pet scan which will further ellucidate whether its benign or malignant and confirm its localized.  I'm going insane with worry and can barely think. I dont trust my calculations after that previous jump. I'm disquieted by the worse scenarios of it being bad, despite the survivals of 85% for  localized forms, which is the whole point of doing this screening.  I feel like crawling into bed and bawling nonstop when I think about the hopefully very remote possibility of non-localized disease.

I've not had lunch nor dinner. I'm not hungry. I'm terrified about my loved one(s).  I very much encourage anyone reading this to undergo any and all screening programs available and to encourage their loved ones to do the same.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120054 on: June 15, 2021, 06:07:07 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that, Chairman. And to you and your wife too Baal.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120055 on: June 16, 2021, 05:17:08 am »

Im just too terrified to think

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120056 on: June 16, 2021, 05:28:53 am »

Fingers crossed, hoping for the best. Be strong!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120057 on: June 19, 2021, 04:41:40 pm »

Woke up this morning; mom called up and screamed at me over something I did that she didn't like, which I had given her the tools to prevent; directly because of this I am missing a goodbye lunch with one of my best friends at my favorite local restaurant.

Fucking, great. And when I tell her we couldn't get lunch, she's going to blame me for it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120058 on: June 19, 2021, 04:54:25 pm »

What exactly is preventing you from attending the lunch? I'm not sure I understand

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120059 on: June 19, 2021, 11:03:38 pm »

Needed to tell my friend what to get and instead he came over after the restaurant closed
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 8002 8003 [8004] 8005 8006 ... 8168