Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10902 10903 [10904] 10905 10906 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15786784 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: [🎺💀🎺] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163545 on: October 07, 2015, 06:26:11 am »

Thank you Avis-Mergulus for providing the best OOCQ I think I've ever managed.
It has been an honor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163546 on: October 07, 2015, 06:40:36 am »

Started taking vitamins, they make you feel happy, somehow.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #163547 on: October 07, 2015, 07:17:42 am »

So it turns out, I have to learn how to do this by noon tomorrow.  The cool thing is I watched a single tutorial and successfully did it within my first few tries.  The not cool thing is a couple hours later, I'm still not getting consistent results.  I need to be able to stack 3, then 4, then 5 dice within a couple minutes.  My best so far is managing to stack 5 three times in a row.  And three is just pretty easy to do at this point.
Why do you need to be able to do this by noon tomorrow?
I mean, it's a nifty physics trick but I don't see the real world application.

It's part of a week of daily contest events at work.  The office is broken out into 7 competing teams.  We had a week like this not too long ago, and one of the teams pissed off everyone else in the office by being hyper-competitive and bending rules.  So everyone wants to beat them.  This time around, my team is neck and neck with that one, and everybody else is already way behind.  So we're under a bunch of pressure to take them down.  Dice stacking is today's event, and as of yesterday, almost nobody knew how to do it.  Only one person in the whole office could do it with any consistency, and they're on the team we have to beat.

When I first started practicing, I made sure to play some Eye of the Tiger and Bon Jovi and stuff in true 80s training montage style :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:21:40 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #163548 on: October 07, 2015, 09:31:34 am »

Configured the wifi dong(le) for my raspberry pi
i can actually start doing stuff with it!

if only i knew what.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #163549 on: October 07, 2015, 09:36:38 am »

Though I'm starting to wonder which one is the second language by now.
Are you me?
Yes! You never even noticed all that time! MWAHAHAHA!

Seriously though, I'm freezing up or stumbling all over my sentences when I try to talk to people in Polish sometimes, because I don't think about it verbally, end up trying to use a concept that exists in English and wind up with 404: equivalent not found.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #163550 on: October 07, 2015, 09:40:41 am »

Yup, that's basically how I get when I speak my second language. Fluent in my head and on paper, in conversation... not so much.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #163551 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:17 am »

Are you me?

Seriously though, I'm freezing up or stumbling all over my sentences when I try to talk to people in Polish sometimes, because I don't think about it verbally, end up trying to use a concept that exists in English and wind up with 404: equivalent not found.
Huh. I do basically the exact same thing.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163552 on: October 07, 2015, 10:03:27 am »

Are you me?

Huh. I do basically the exact same thing.
I had this problem before, but I got rid of it when I decided to make my speech more lucid and comprehensible in general by taking more time to think before speaking. I still end up with awkward turns of phrase sometimes, but much less now than before.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #163553 on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:16 am »

-collapsing the quote pyramid-
I had this problem before, but I got rid of it when I decided to make my speech more lucid and comprehensible in general by taking more time to think before speaking. I still end up with awkward turns of phrase sometimes, but much less now than before.
That's what I'm trying to do. I really should slow down speaking anyway, I severely underestimate how fast I speak.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163554 on: October 07, 2015, 10:29:54 am »

Getting yourself immersed in a foreign language environment and just letting it all soak in is fine and dandy, and undeniably useful, but at some point a learner of a foreign language simply must put some conscious effort into the learning process.
Having problems with pronunciation? Can't even tell what makes you have 'an accent'? Learn phonetics and practice a lot (I recommend Mimi Ponsonby's 'How now brown cow?' as a handy guide).
Resorting to false friends a lot? Can't find the appropriate words? Expand your vocabulary through reading and exercises.
This applies to the native language as well.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #163555 on: October 07, 2015, 10:58:40 am »

Yup, that's basically how I get when I speak my second language. Fluent in my head and on paper, in conversation... not so much.

Afrikaans, perchance?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #163556 on: October 07, 2015, 11:00:22 am »

Afrikaans, perchance?

Ja. You don't want to know how I sound in my third language, I can't even enunciate one of the sounds properly. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163557 on: October 07, 2015, 11:21:39 am »

Is English actually the language with the most redundancy?

Was just watching anime and The Great Gatsby (not at the same time. Some could, I cannot). Had a moment of sadness for the decline of English and then listened to some voice actors speak Japanese for a bit and felt better.

I mean, sure, it's a probably more nuanced, but nuance only goes so far.

... That being said a nuanced painting which is entirely shades of blue is probably better than a tribal riot of color.
That being the only apt metaphor available to me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #163558 on: October 07, 2015, 11:23:41 am »

Made fish tacos.

It's fish! But in taco form!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: [] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163559 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:43 am »

Got my first wages from part-time job. Seven working hours per week, spanning month, yielded me an astounding total of ~$35. Bought a cake for ~$15. Stashed the rest. Woo.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:49:05 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 10902 10903 [10904] 10905 10906 ... 13325