Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10900 10901 [10902] 10903 10904 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15783769 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: [🎺💀🎺] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163515 on: October 06, 2015, 08:45:12 pm »

Trust me, there's a lot of words in the English language that derive from Latin like that. Despite English being a German language.
Really?  I thought it was "Let's stick all these languages together!".
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163516 on: October 06, 2015, 08:51:02 pm »

Trust me, there's a lot of words in the English language that derive from Latin like that. Despite English being a German language.
Nah, West Germanic. Lots of borrowings from Romance, but that's not what genealogical attribution is about (it's about being descended from a common proto-language, in this case, you guessed it, Common Germanic through proto-West Germanic).
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163517 on: October 06, 2015, 08:52:52 pm »

Nah, West Germanic. Lots of borrowings from Romance, but that's not what genealogical attribution is about (it's about being descended from a common proto-language, in this case, you guessed it, Common Germanic through proto-West Germanic).
Mergh.  Yup.  But seriously, the lexical melting pot that is English is, well, that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163518 on: October 06, 2015, 09:01:56 pm »

Mergh.  Yup.  But seriously, the lexical melting pot that is English is, well, that.
The lexical melting pot that is every major imperial language, you mean. Because there's not much to distinguish English from, say, German or Russian or Arabic in that regard (I can speak with complete surety only for Russian, but I am very convinced it's also the case for the other, say, ten largest world languages, and I'm sure I can find sources for that).
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163519 on: October 06, 2015, 09:14:26 pm »

Yeah, I suppose the loan words are getting around.  I don't really know that much about linguistics.
Sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #163520 on: October 06, 2015, 09:25:31 pm »

To be fair, a lot of English's horrendousness came from the sheer volume of people invading Britain at one point or another.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163521 on: October 06, 2015, 09:31:31 pm »

Also the volume of people that Britain invaded.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #163522 on: October 06, 2015, 09:42:03 pm »

True, but that mostly added to vocabulary. The language's mishmash of sometimes-rules and inconsistency originated in the Celtic, Latin, Germanic, Scandinavian, and Frankish influences, long before Britannia ruled the waves.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #163523 on: October 06, 2015, 09:49:03 pm »

English is hilariously germanic, loan words don't really factor into that as much as structure

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #163524 on: October 06, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »

So it turns out, I have to learn how to do this by noon tomorrow.  The cool thing is I watched a single tutorial and successfully did it within my first few tries.  The not cool thing is a couple hours later, I'm still not getting consistent results.  I need to be able to stack 3, then 4, then 5 dice within a couple minutes.  My best so far is managing to stack 5 three times in a row.  And three is just pretty easy to do at this point.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163525 on: October 06, 2015, 11:37:54 pm »

English is hilariously germanic, loan words don't really factor into that as much as structure
I wonder, is it true that english is a BITCH to learn if it's not your first language?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163526 on: October 06, 2015, 11:53:09 pm »

We have some ESL people here, Tiruin and Helgo presumably, plus the local Russian population.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #163527 on: October 06, 2015, 11:55:15 pm »

Caesar salad is not of Roman origin.
It is, however, named after a guy named Caesar; specifically Caesar Cardini, and Italian immigrant who ran restaurants in the US and Mexico in the 1920's.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #163528 on: October 06, 2015, 11:58:36 pm »

I wonder, is it true that english is a BITCH to learn if it's not your first language?

it has some pretty friggin simple grammar rules for the most part

the main problems are pronunciation and all the irregular verbs but people will understand you if you say "i digged a hole"

basically, it's mostly difficult if you speak natively???

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #163529 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:22 am »

So its easy enough in that you can usually communicate an idea even if you're not fluent with the language, but its nigh impossible to become proficient such that you cease to make mistakes, even if its your native language and the only none you know

Yup, sounds about right.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 10900 10901 [10902] 10903 10904 ... 13325