Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15758738 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that Cirno lost today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #46800 on: April 09, 2011, 10:59:16 pm »

Someone should run a campaign entirely on creative uses of artifacts like that. No weapons, no spells, just items and uses they were not intended for.

I wonder how long that player would last.

I played a character who was an acrobatic monkey person and fought with two of them.  Whizzo the Airmaster.  First session there was an airship battle.  I forget how it went but somebody else was able to teleport me out in front of the battle and set one of my rods so the enemy airship would collide with it and lose a wing.  I was happy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46801 on: April 09, 2011, 11:00:10 pm »

Someone should run a campaign entirely on creative uses of artifacts like that. No weapons, no spells, just items and uses they were not intended for.

I wonder how long that player would last.
Heh, my Artificer run.....

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46803 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:37 pm »

Daughter just fell asleep in my arms. Thank you, rainymood. She fights so hard to stay awake.

Anyway, now that I actually have time to do the homework I was going to do over spring break, does anyone have any tips on writing less than crappy fanfiction?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46804 on: April 09, 2011, 11:14:32 pm »

Anyway, now that I actually have time to do the homework I was going to do over spring break, does anyone have any tips on writing less than crappy fanfiction?

Pick something you're really passionate about, and then write a story about that and the original work.  It seems to be getting me a lot of fans, at the very least >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46805 on: April 09, 2011, 11:19:23 pm »

Well, the aim was to take Heath Ledger's incarnation of the Joker, and twist him farther and go darker. I also want to show off his chemistry skills, but that's the easy part.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46806 on: April 09, 2011, 11:24:48 pm »

Well, the aim was to take Heath Ledger's incarnation of the Joker, and twist him farther and go darker. I also want to show off his chemistry skills, but that's the easy part.

... Well, that's already been done before a few times.  I may have some links you'd be interested in.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46807 on: April 09, 2011, 11:27:30 pm »

I appreciate the offer, but I just have to get my lazy ass in gear and actually write it. I've already read "Joker" and "Emperor Joker" for 'inspiration'. They don't really come much darker or batshit insane than those two pieces without pushing my berserk button.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46808 on: April 09, 2011, 11:29:27 pm »

I may have some links you'd be interested in.

You might as well post them for everybody.  I've been sitting here dreading all week that pit in my stomach upon opening the ol' word processor and trying to commit days worth of fulfilling brainstorming into actual words.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46809 on: April 09, 2011, 11:33:51 pm »

Hmm, okay.

Then my other piece of advice is "don't be masturbatory about it."  Focus on telling an honest and interesting story above all else.  Don't use cheap tricks or tired plot hooks, because other people will have done it about a billion times.

Also, don't post on fanfiction.net.  Find an appropriate Livejournal community and post there.  Be sure to leave longish comments on other people's stuff that you found interesting, or short things on pictures, whatever, that you looked at.  That's the best way to start getting a viewership, which will increase as your story goes around via word-of-mouth.

It also helps if you write oneshots in-between, since that will also greatly increase readership.  In my experience, it's easiest to work with niche ideas, because a lot of what the crowd is interested in is novelty.

I may have some links you'd be interested in.

You might as well post them for everybody.  I've been sitting here dreading all week that pit in my stomach upon opening the ol' word processor and trying to commit days worth of fulfilling brainstorming into actual words.

I... don't think I can, actually, given the terms of service.  But when I'm back on my usual computer I can PM 'em out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46810 on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:45 am »

I fixed one of my game disks! I am a god among men!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46811 on: April 10, 2011, 12:03:17 am »

Lucky for me, I'm not going to post my crappy fanfic anywhere (unless it's demanded, in which case I'll consider it.) It's also a one-shot, so there's no need for continuation of plot.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46812 on: April 10, 2011, 12:11:39 am »

I think I speak for all when I say this.

How the fucking hell did you do it!? You're awesome!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:14:39 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46813 on: April 10, 2011, 12:15:49 am »

More Dwarf Fortress. But this time, with modded badgers.

AMPHIBIOUS MANIACAL WAR BADGERS?!? I THINK SO!
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46814 on: April 10, 2011, 12:21:11 am »

I think I speak for all when I say this.

How the fucking hell did you do it!? You're awesome!
It's not really all that amazing in actuality. The disk wouldn't read, but I eventually found a small chip of the disk had come loose near the center hole, which is presumibly the area that is read to start the disk. All it took was pushing it back into place and trying to smooth it over to make the disk read correctly. That was Soulcalibur 4, but a look at my broken Left 4 Dead 2 disk has uncovered that it's broken in the same way, except worse. I'll be attempting to repair that tomorrow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 13325