Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How did my ranger die?  (Read 1406 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did my ranger die?
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:47:12 am »

I've been having a lot of trouble in my latest frotress with carp and hippos. So, as this is my first attempt at a megaproject, I decided to make life easier by editing the raws to remove their attacks. However, one of my rangers has just gone toe-to-toe with a hippo and lost. How?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did my ranger die?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:53:06 am »

Drowning.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:53:51 am »

Wouldn't they use some default attack if none are declared in the raws?

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:54:26 am »

Nope, he was struck down. Also, I gave dwarves the [NOBREATHE] tag.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:55:08 am »

Nope, he was struck down. Also, I gave dwarves the [NOBREATHE] tag.
He suffocated? :)

/jk

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:55:42 am »

One of two things.

Firstly, Holy Mittens discovered that once a creature has spawned, its size remains constant, even if you save and then mod it. Perhaps the hippo, since it spawned with those attacks, kept them.

Or secondly, the hippo killed him with the basic push attack. Which would be hardcore. (I read in some other thread that creatures incapable of attacking "push". For example, a Bronze Colosuus with no legs or arms. Or head.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:59:12 am »

And yet I've not had any carp-related deaths.

EDIT: Just had my first. A ranger sat on the bottom of a pool for a good five minutes, surrounded by rather a lot of tigerfish and carp, and wresteled them, as far as I could tell. Some time later, I received an announcement that he'd bled to death.

Is there any tag that will make the critters utterly harmless? I keep tantrum spiralling into oblivion because I don't have a proper fortress set up yet, because the fortress is the megaproject.

EDIT EDIT: Removing the brains seems to have done it. Hippo genocide!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:19:17 am by Heliomance »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:00 am »

Having modded Dwarves to size 6000 mid-game and then having a my two champion wrestlers wrestle over fourty frog demons to death, i can assure you that size changes most certainly do stick.

Sounds like the Hippo got lucky with the basic push attack and pushed the Hunter to death while the Hunter wailed away uselessly at the Hippo.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 09:54:45 am »

Maybe your champions were just that EXTREME.

I remember trying to mod a megabeast (Ancient Vampire from Dig Deeper) I was fighting in adventurer mode to Size 1 so it wouldn't murder me, but it didn't work.

Then I changed longswords to do 9001 damage. Heh. That worked.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:56:33 am »

Dunno about adventure mode, but i've consistantly got results from saving, exiting DF entirely, changing the size of things and then reloading.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:39 pm »

Having modded Dwarves to size 6000 mid-game and then having a my two champion wrestlers wrestle over fourty frog demons to death, i can assure you that size changes most certainly do stick.

You say that as if it is abnormal...
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 05:11:36 pm »

Having modded everything in my game to different sizes after they spawned and then watching them be no better at fighting AND drop the number of bones, meat, and chunks as their pre-modded size, I can fairly well assure you that they do not, in fact, change size. Go ahead and mod up an animal to size 6000, then butcher it and see how you do not get 6000 bones, chunks, or meat. Rather I'd posit that, since you were fighting demons, your champions had probably been training for quite some time and had reached ludicrous stats and were possibly wearing good armor and frog demons are kinda not that big of a threat.

Sounds like the Hippo got lucky with the basic push attack and pushed the Hunter to death while the Hunter wailed away uselessly at the Hippo.

This is likely the case for the hunter's death. I know you can mod out attacks and it sticks, I've done it a few times. And I know that creatures can still attack, albeit rather weakly.

There's no way to make creatures totally harmless. However, you can do something like take away their brains. That'll cause them to die pretty quickly.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:24:10 pm »

I onetime had an adventurer who was so badly mangled by wolves that he tried to push them. I imagine a large hippo could push someone to death.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »

Finding themselves without any natural means of the defenses, the hippos obviously prayed to the nearest hippo god and it dispatched a carpippogonelepheaglebold to personally deal with the situation.

Then again, your fortress still exists, so that's probably not what happened after all.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 05:33:17 pm »

When you say "still exists", the reason I took such extreme measures as genocide is because hippo and carp induced tantrum spirals forced me to abandon and reclaim no less than three times.
Pages: [1] 2