Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: The Rant Thread  (Read 12006 times)

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2009, 02:03:20 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The ONLY forum with threads SERIOUSLY discussing whether or not it's okay to randomly beat people up!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2009, 02:04:36 pm »

Indeed!

we are also the only forum discussing if it's OK for a mother to make a handbag out of her only child, and then proceed to beat the SHIT out of half a dozen Bystanders.

And *Chan.

(NINJA'D! also, Rashilul is Korrect.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2009, 03:05:52 pm »

Doesn't defer from the point: Telling people smoking is bad is not a terribly clever or helpful move. They know it is bad for them. Most want to quit. The best you are doing is pointing out their inability to quit.

You'd be surprised with the kind of cr@p rationalizations and dumbfoque ideas that people get about smoking.
Or any other addiction, I guess.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »

Don't take it personally, Alexhans :P Violence has been a successful solution to a lot of problems. It's so successful in fact, that a massive % of the world has a career devoted to it. You can't exactly say it doesn't solve anything when there are dozens of martial arts schools, millions of police officers, and probably over a billion people in the violence national defense sector. Not to mention that history teaches us that there have been people who have eternal fame, fortune, and empires from violence uniting a nation/liberating a country.

Also, the threat of violence is what really keeps a lot of people from beating up another person. I could punch the nearest person right now in a tantrum, but then 30 guys would beat me unconscious in no time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So you're saying that violence is the only thing that prevents us from anarchy??? Nice... You have a very low opinion of human kind.

Besides we were not talking about self-defense and keeping people safe with their consent.  We were talking about imposing ourselves over others by being violent.

This reminds me of bowling for Columbine... when the canadian kids said that USA just solved the problem by going there and fighting it...

Eternal Fame??? Once you're dead.  You're dead.  Ilusions of eternal fame will only blind you if you're alive.  Fortune... Violence is surely not the only way... and notice how hard is to achieve things with violence... Violence strikes back.

Funny how you didn't mention that violence didn't achieve happyness.... why would that be?  Because it doesn't.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2009, 03:26:47 pm »

Funny how you didn't mention that violence didn't achieve happyness.... why would that be?  Because it doesn't.

Sure it does. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2009, 03:51:38 pm »

Smoking is bad for you.

Also, it's really annoying when you are walking behind someone who is smoking.  So annoying. 

NO! Smoking is good!

Smoke Marlboro Cigarettes!

Before you say anything listen to this jingle:

♫Smoke Marlboro Cigarettes♫
♫They won't rot your lungs out♫
♫They'll make you look cool and sexy♫
♫and you won't die from smoking♫
♫ChaoticJosh doesn't work for a cigarette company♫
♫So you should listen to him and smoke more♫
♫Oh yeahhhhhhhh!♫

It took me a long time to find the unicode symbol ♫, so you should smoke!

/dumb

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2009, 04:18:38 pm »

Everyone dies. Dying shouldn't be a factor to keep you from doing anything. Try and write down some of the biggest names in history... it's often that of warriors and soldiers. Even others, like Shakespeare and many other artists, glorified violence. You can name scientists.. but I'll bet that more people would know Alexander the Great more than Leonhard Euler, even though the latter contributed far more to mankind.

Let's not forget that the most powerful nation in the world now, the USA, earned its liberty through violence.. it earned its place as a modern superpower through violence, it ended WW2 with extreme violence, and won the Cold War by beating up weaker countries. Today, it makes a significant portion of its income through weapons exports and weapon research and the defense branch is the most active in the world. And it's still the world's biggest superpower. Is that really happiness?

But yes, it's keeping us away from anarchy. Remember the hippie movement? The one dedicated to peace, freedom, and goodwill? Nearing the end of the hippie movement, they went around carrying guns to defend themselves. And the hippie movement.. that began to die out after they realized they can't stop violence.

Not that it's a good thing. It's just that saying 'violence is not the answer' is a naive way to approach it, kind of like saying "crime doesn't pay". Of course, it's not the best answer, but if it wasn't so effective, it wouldn't be common.

Going back to the smoking topic... smoking is bad. Definitely. I don't smoke, no purpose, and it wastes money.

But I don't like how it's going from a health issue into a moral issue these days. It's like most people want to look good by stopping smoking. When a politician wants to look like he cares about health, he fights smoking. When someone wants to take the moral high ground, he criticizes smoking. Going against smoking has become a way to look good.

I don't condone smoking, but it's turning into a form of discrimination. Of course, it's fine to discriminate against people who don't care about their health... or is it? Telling people that it's bad for their health is encouraging the type of people who smoke. Some of them want to look like they don't care about their health. They're bad.

Otherwise, there's no purpose to smoking. Smoking is a statement. An attitude. There are harmless (and cheaper) things you could suck on, but people start smoking in the first place because it "looks cool". Interestingly, the only times I've seen people stop smoking from their own will was after nobody cared.

I'm pretty sure the facts against smoking have become biased... the type of people who don't care about bad health would smoke, and the type of people who don't care about bad health would do unhealthy things and eat unhealthy stuff. Unless you specifically take out eating, exercise, etc factors, you're going to come out with research results that points to smoking leading to high blood pressure, heart disease, lung cancer, breast cancer, just because these same people don't mind chomping down on other carcinogenics.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2009, 04:27:20 pm »

Everyone dies. Dying shouldn't be a factor to keep you from doing anything.

(...)

Going back to the smoking topic... smoking is bad. Definitely.

YEAH LOGIC.

Alright, I ignored it when Duke said it but you got me riled up again Muz. Not everybody smokes to look cool, or fit in. The fact is, smoking isn't cool anymore, and I've definitely received more ostracization than acceptance due to the fact that I smoke. But I'm not quitting, and I don't expect I'll try anytime soon. Why? Nicotine is a drug. It makes you feel good.

EDIT : I AM NOT TELLING KIDS TO SMOKE. DON'T SMOKE KIDS. THAT IS ALL.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:30:00 pm by kinseti »

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2009, 04:30:49 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:53:43 pm by Stany »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2009, 04:46:14 pm »

Still, even if we can't stop humanity commiting violence, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to randomly employ it in your day to day life.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2009, 05:42:33 pm »

Everyone dies. Dying shouldn't be a factor to keep you from doing anything. Try and write down some of the biggest names in history... it's often that of warriors and soldiers. Even others, like Shakespeare and many other artists, glorified violence. You can name scientists.. but I'll bet that more people would know Alexander the Great more than Leonhard Euler, even though the latter contributed far more to mankind.
Ghandi.  Martin Luther King, Jr.  John F. Kennedy.  Just to name a few of those that break that rule . . .  And also, the US fought to end violence in WWI and WWII, and expended a great deal of resources to help it's allies and former enemies rebuild their countries.  Yes, US money payed for the rebuilding of Japanese cities after WWII, and for food for Germans in Berlin.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2009, 06:27:52 pm »

I will obviously fight to defend myself. 

but, remember how this started:
That is an excellent viewpoint. Smoking is bad, but if someone tells me smoking is bad while I'm enjoying my cigarette, I will punch them in the neck. I hear that's also bad for you.
violence because you can ,or think you can, overpower the other.  Violence because someone doesn't share your view.

Muz... again... wtf is up with being famous??? 
"violence is better because Alexander the great is more famous than euler"???
What... the... fuck...
so hitler is better than most.  He has eternal fame...  :o

I never said we should be sheeps that offer the other cheek while we are being attacked.  I just said that imposing yourself through violence won't help you.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2009, 06:31:02 pm »

but, remember how this started:
That is an excellent viewpoint. Smoking is bad, but if someone tells me smoking is bad while I'm enjoying my cigarette, I will punch them in the neck. I hear that's also bad for you.
violence because you can ,or think you can, overpower the other.  Violence because someone doesn't share your view.

Actually, that was an example of violence because someone is acting like an arrogant douchebag.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2009, 06:35:37 pm »

Smoking eh?

The only statement I have to say is that many Middle Schoolers (Junior High) in my area smoke.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2009, 06:36:25 pm »

Internet tough guys FTW. Because claiming that you would beat up other people for moronic reasons actually makes your genitalia larger.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18