Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: The Rant Thread  (Read 12000 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2009, 06:36:45 pm »

but, remember how this started:
That is an excellent viewpoint. Smoking is bad, but if someone tells me smoking is bad while I'm enjoying my cigarette, I will punch them in the neck. I hear that's also bad for you.
violence because you can ,or think you can, overpower the other.  Violence because someone doesn't share your view.

Actually, that was an example of violence because someone is acting like an arrogant douchebag.
Ok. So you think that someone was acting like an arrogant douchebag... therefore the use of violence to "punish him" is justified?

seriously?  You've just proved my point beyond my greatest fears. 

EDIT:
Internet tough guys FTW. Because claiming that you would beat up other people for moronic reasons actually makes your genitalia larger.
Yeah... specially when there are no consequences for it... :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:53:08 pm by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2009, 06:52:14 pm »

Actually, that was an example of violence because someone is acting like an arrogant douchebag.
Wait, so now you're judge jury and executioner deciding if someone is being "arrogant" or not?  Is that not rather an arrogant position to take?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2009, 06:55:47 pm »

the funny thing is that people who take that kind of attitude in real life actually tend to end up pretty badly, with, among other things, a criminal file longer than my arm.

Not to mention what happens when they end up throwing themselves at a bigger thug. Natural selection works, buddies.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »

Let me clear this up, since apparently we have a misunderstanding:

When I said that, I wasn't trying to make any statement about the effectiveness of violence when solving problems. I don't go around punching annoying people in the neck. That would be silly. So silly, in fact, I didn't think anybody would seriously think I do. I was not trying to say "I literally solve my problems by punching people in the neck". I was trying to say "people who tell smokers that smoking is bad for their health are stating a well-known fact, which is annoying, not helpful." I was ignoring the violence argument because I have nothing much to say on the subject, but when Alexhans started quoting me to support his agenda I decided to jump in. I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my point in a way that was offensive to your sensibilities.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2009, 06:59:45 pm »

ok. Then addressing the smoking argument:

"people who tell smokers that smoking is bad for their health are stating a well-known fact, which is annoying, not helpful.

you're quite wrong actually. As I have said, people have all sorts of whacky ideas (often rationalizations) about smoking.

For instance, I recall this woman "Well, yes, I smoke, but only a little, which is actually good for your health, or so I heard".
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2009, 07:01:20 pm »

I'M TELLING YOU MAN THOSE THINGS GOT VITAMINS.

I've yet to run into someone who actually believes smoking isn't bad for them, but I can agree to disagree on that one. I'm sure such crazy people exist somewhere.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:41 pm »

For the record, there is no scientific evidence that smoking causes cancer.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2009, 07:04:50 pm »

The ones that think it's outright good are the lesser ones, but most chronic smokers I've seen tend to make BS rationalizations after the fact and/or misrepresent the ordeal completedly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:20 pm »

Some cancers are a byproduct of smoking and a combination of evil spirits.*

* rum, vodka, gin, etc...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »

There would appear to be rather a lot.  Unless you can suggest another reason why over 90% of those contracting lung cancer are smokers?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2009, 07:10:19 pm »

Correlation does not imply causation.

It's certainly likely that smoking causes cancer, but you can't say there's scientific evidence.
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »

It's certainly likely that smoking causes cancer, but you can't say there's scientific evidence.
Strong correlation does imply causation.  It doesn't prove it, but if there's a strong correlation after you've adjusted for social factors, that is certainly "evidence".

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2009, 07:18:07 pm »

I knew of someone who started smoking because they believed it would help them lose weight.

...It had the opposite effect.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2009, 07:19:29 pm »

You're trolling right?
Sure, correlation doesn't imply causation, but there's much more than correlation in this case.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2009, 07:20:24 pm »

As long as Toady or anyone does not decide toLock my poor thread because of your arguments, go ahead.

If he WILL do so. stop, please.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18