Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: The Rant Thread  (Read 11968 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
The Rant Thread
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:34:47 pm »

Gentlemen.
Are you ever SO PISSED at that ONE GUY who did *blah* to your *blah* and whatnot?

Don't want to derail another Thread by Voicing this predicament?

well, NOW's YOUR CHANCE! Post rants against WHATEVER here, me, Cats, That Damn Jar, Whatever.

(This thread will hep save many a topic.)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:47:28 pm »

Very well, I'll move my rant here and lock my topic. For you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:50:19 pm by Jackrabbit »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 11:54:09 pm »

Where was this thread when I had stuff to rant about?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 11:55:08 pm »

Rant about that.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:19:45 am »

Grawr! WTF is up with the YouTube video censoring? It's officially down the toilet in my mind. When YT decided to include ads on their site (bad in itself) it meant they could no longer exploit fair use policies on various things, particularly music. And then there's weird shit like they put in Beethoven instead or have a thing that says "THIS VIDEO HAS BEEN REMOVED" when the video is clearly right fuckin' there. The whole thing has killed a lot of epic videos just because they decided they needed to have fuckin' ads. And it sounds like they're adamant about turning all their popularity, history and loyalty into a cash crop to be milked dry- they're apparently looking to set up a pay-to-watch streaming movie service. This is the worst thing to happen to the site since someone decided Youtube Poop was hilarious. This is a Zelda CD-i level failure. Like fucking Sonic the Emo Hedgehog. Now we all need a new video site. I don't know what people were thinking when they imagined the future meant improving technology.

tl;dr: Youtube ruined its purpose by including ads which forced them to remove copyright-violating videos.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:39:43 am »

You do realize that the inevitable result of this will be a new free-hosting video service with no ads that everyone then flocks to, leaving YouTube an ad-riven ghost town like every other for-profit hosting site, only to be later bought up by Google like YouTube was.

And the cycle of Internet life goes on...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 12:42:06 am »

Precisely.

That is my raeg.

Edit: Oh, and using obscure russian mirrors is a bother.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 12:52:06 pm »

What i'm really hating about youtube right now is the WMG. they remove sound from videos completely because of their soundtrack they say. unfrotunately this also removes any voices in the video which is really annoying if it's a let's play. they earned themselves the loving nickname Weird Muting Guys by the community.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:49:54 pm by Stany »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »

Well, Youtube does do this sort of thing every now and again.  95% of the time you can find exactly the same thing on another video hosting website.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 04:20:39 pm »

well I wanted to send this as a PM but can't do that, and didn't wanna derail the thread it was from. PERFECT OPPORTUNITY!

No offense, but popularity and 'success' does not equal good.  Slavery was also popular and, at least for some, extremely financially beneficial.

WoW's not as bad as slavery, but it is the worst thing to ever happen to the MMO market.
you compared WoW to slavery lol  ::)

also saying it's the worst thing that happened to the MMO market is silly, because MMOs all suck, and also because WoW did a number of things right that now most MMOs are trying to copy.
The most notable thing Blizzard did with WoW was nigh on eliminate the grind that every single other MMO has, and they're taking away more and more with every major patch. Because of that, they've made one of the most accessible MMOs; instead of having to specifically set aside a few hours for playing like in FFXI, you can jump on, do a few quests or a dungeon, and go back what you were doing in an hour.
Blizzard also releases accessible endgame content (these days, at least). Players don't have to be in a dedicated 'raiding' guild and get together with 30+ people every couple of nights to get rewarded for playing the game. Instead it offers challenges that scale with group size. If you can only get 10 friends together, you can still do the end game content. Most MMOs don't have any small group MMO content at all.
Lastly, WoW was really the first MMO with ... non-shitty PvP. Sure it's dated and terrible now, but when WoW first came out it had glorious and new PvP, the likes of which had never been seen in an MMO before. "What could be called balance, objectives, teams, a reward system? What are these complex technologies" the MMO playing masses said "We are so happy there is an nice getaway from the (minimal)grinding" And nowadays PvP is highly competitive and also gives players experience, allowing them to level by PvPing.

Sorry, I don't like WoW at all, but game design and all that is kind of my forte, so I had to point out the issues with your statement :(

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 04:56:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:49:19 pm by Stany »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 05:04:12 pm »

OH MY GODwin IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 05:17:27 pm »

Game design is a forte of mine too- WoW sucks because it's not intellectually challenging. Even if they're noobing up the grind, it's still a grind machine.

Play EVE. In fact I'd like to say 'play Auto Assault', but obviously it wasn't wow-like enough for the market.  >:(

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 06:20:27 pm »

Although I can't be bothered to find the exact quote:
Quote from: Yahtzee
Removing the grind from mumorpegers is like removing the [X] from [Y]
Yeh, I know that X was the main constituent of Y.

Aaaanyhow, Out of the MMORPGs I've played WoW was pretty grindy, War was kind of grindy if you include PvP as grinding, something I don't think you really can since it will always present a changing challenge. And finally guild wars was grind free because it used the RPG model rather than the MMORPG one so it was all about playing through the story rather than grinding up to do high level dungeons with your friends
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18