Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171070 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2370 on: August 10, 2010, 08:29:27 pm »

*shrug*

Cut out a piece of cardboard as a base, then another strip of cardboard 2" high and however long.

Blam, you have low walls.

Cut out two pieces of square cardboard. Cut one piece of the card board in half diagonally with an irregular, jagged cut. Glue both pieces corner to corner on your base.

Blam, you have half a ruined building.

Real, good terrain takes a lot of time and creativity. But you can just slap books on the table to break up line of sight and create elevation.

If you're really serious about making terrain though, go buy some poster board and some MDF. Cardboard warps and is a bitch to make clean cuts on. But it does the job for throw away terrain.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:42:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:39 am »

Soda cans works great as well. You can cut them up lengthwise for bunkers or in half normally and use the ends as missle silos or some such.

It's a little old school but you can also use felt or paper cutouts for area terrain.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: August 11, 2010, 09:23:44 am »

Buying stuff from world war 2 games and converting them also works, for the more expensive tables.

(Used to have a job making the stuff, then playing on it, was good)
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 12, 2010, 02:47:10 pm »

I just wish my local comic store was more interested in 40k. Their 40k section is near barren and the ratio of 40k events to yugioh events is like 1 to 20.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 12, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »

Demon hunters and dark eldar are next for a codex upgrade. I haven't heard anything about tau (they are still very playable).

Hmm it seems like they care more about the splinter factons than the base factons which is irritating to say the least.

On the subject of availibility of games in local regions, I'm surprised at how popular yu-gi-oh is compared to magic the gathering is at my local card (comic book actually) shop. On the subject of tabletops I haven't really asked around the group but storewise there isn't that much warhammer stuff though they've also got some mechwarrior stuff that just isn't selling lol. Actually I think theres very little tabletop stuff other than what little warhammer they've got, they only got a few rulebooks and I think those are dnd 4.0 and maybe the basic warhammer books.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:59 pm »

Demon hunters and dark eldar are next for a codex upgrade. I haven't heard anything about tau (they are still very playable).

Hmm it seems like they care more about the splinter factons than the base factons which is irritating to say the least.

On the subject of availibility of games in local regions, I'm surprised at how popular yu-gi-oh is compared to magic the gathering is at my local card (comic book actually) shop. On the subject of tabletops I haven't really asked around the group but storewise there isn't that much warhammer stuff though they've also got some mechwarrior stuff that just isn't selling lol. Actually I think theres very little tabletop stuff other than what little warhammer they've got, they only got a few rulebooks and I think those are dnd 4.0 and maybe the basic warhammer books.
reminds me, i got 4.0 rulebooks today. anyone up for a game?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:28 pm »

It'd be nice if they ignored the myriad of bullshit SPAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEE MAAAAAARRRRRy-Sue chapters, but the inquisition and deldar haven't been updated since 3e, while the Tau are (early?) 4e. Of course, Daemon Hunters is just code for THUPER THPECIAL THPATHE MARINETH. >:|

I'd say an Ordo Xenos codex would be interesting, but I know it would just be LOLDEATHWATCH (which are, as far as I can tell, just normal space marysues in black armor, aside from being a force drafted from the other chapters), like the Ordo Malleum one is just LOLGRAYKNIGHTS. >:|
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:00 pm »

Yeah....
Tau are not very playable, at all.
You basically have to compose your force to take out the army you are going up against, and not let ANYTHING EVER get hit.

GW seems to hate the tau, and the dark elder even more...
They have like 5 different SPESS MARINE chapters, and updated all of them Pre Dark Eldar.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:30 pm »

Yeah....
Tau are not very playable, at all.
You basically have to compose your force to take out the army you are going up against, and not let ANYTHING EVER get hit.
Tau are quite playable. They just have mediocre infantry and shit vehicles. They're all about battlesuits.

They're still shit next to IG though.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: August 12, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »

I'm actually more afraid of a competent tau player than an competent IG one when I play guard. Railguns own face.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: August 12, 2010, 10:36:36 pm »

I'm actually more afraid of a competent tau player than an competent IG one when I play guard. Railguns own face.
The problem is the fragility.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: August 13, 2010, 12:08:04 am »

Well in a place that has alot of los blocking cover and such those smartmissiles can be a bitch as those can go right over, also if you can pin squads with the sniper teams thats pretty fun to. I don't have my books on me now but as I think Tau have a general lack of aoe weapons that can effectively take advantage of pinning.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: August 13, 2010, 02:53:45 am »

Vendettas are like cheaper broadsides (140 for three twinlinked lascannons (which are identical to railguns) and two heavy bolters, as opposed to 210 for three broadsides, each with one twinlinked railgun) that are also fast flying transport scouts with heavy bolters strapped to them.

If it came down to a shootout between a vendetta and a single squad of two broadsides, it would probably come down to whichever player got the first turn, unless there was cover high enough for the vendetta could get behind, in which case it would almost certainly be the vendetta after an hour of furious calculations, I am a little less sure that it's so clear cut, but the vendetta still has the advantage. It has a 97% chance to kill one of the broadsides, a 66% chance to kill both, and a 24% chance to kill a theoretical third broadside two. With it's lascannons, that is. There's no way in hell I'm doing what I just did for the heavy bolters too (which is, computing the likelihood of a certain number of shots hitting, and then calculating for each of those the chance of each possible number of shots wounding. Now, I'm tired, and sick of number crunching, so this last step is probably wrong: I took the percentages for each number of wounds based on hit, and then combined them in the manner A+(1-A)*B=C and C+(1-C)*D=E, where C (or E) is the final percentage, depending on whether there were two or three numbers to combine. I have the feeling I'm wrong in making the assumption, and I believe I know the correct method, but quite frankly I don't give a shit right now, and it's close enough to give a decent idea of the odds). So yeah...

Regardless of the accuracy of the numbers, the broadsides would still be in a proportionally worse position, dying on a 2+ wound roll, having only two shots between them, inflicting a penetrating shot on a 3+ instead of 2+, and having neither guarantee a kill, or even damage. Then there's the heavy bolters to contend with, if the broadsides are within 36". Although wouldn't help too much against broadsides, they're still another factor tipping the scales in favor of the vendetta.

Against anything other than broadsides, the vendetta is certainly more lethal, and carries much more utility, being a fast transport scout skimmer than can deepstrike and carries both anti-infantry and anti-armor weapons, all in a 12/12/10 shell.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: August 13, 2010, 03:23:30 am »

Vendettas are like cheaper broadsides (140 for three twinlinked lascannons (which are identical to railguns) and two heavy bolters, as opposed to 210 for three broadsides, each with one twinlinked railgun) that are also fast flying transport scouts with heavy bolters strapped to them.

If it came down to a shootout between a vendetta and a single squad of two broadsides, it would probably come down to whichever player got the first turn, unless there was cover high enough for the vendetta could get behind, in which case it would almost certainly be the vendetta after an hour of furious calculations, I am a little less sure that it's so clear cut, but the vendetta still has the advantage. It has a 97% chance to kill one of the broadsides, a 66% chance to kill both, and a 24% chance to kill a theoretical third broadside two. With it's lascannons, that is. There's no way in hell I'm doing what I just did for the heavy bolters too (which is, computing the likelihood of a certain number of shots hitting, and then calculating for each of those the chance of each possible number of shots wounding. Now, I'm tired, and sick of number crunching, so this last step is probably wrong: I took the percentages for each number of wounds based on hit, and then combined them in the manner A+(1-A)*B=C and C+(1-C)*D=E, where C (or E) is the final percentage, depending on whether there were two or three numbers to combine. I have the feeling I'm wrong in making the assumption, and I believe I know the correct method, but quite frankly I don't give a shit right now, and it's close enough to give a decent idea of the odds). So yeah...

Regardless of the accuracy of the numbers, the broadsides would still be in a proportionally worse position, dying on a 2+ wound roll, having only two shots between them, inflicting a penetrating shot on a 3+ instead of 2+, and having neither guarantee a kill, or even damage. Then there's the heavy bolters to contend with, if the broadsides are within 36". Although wouldn't help too much against broadsides, they're still another factor tipping the scales in favor of the vendetta.

Against anything other than broadsides, the vendetta is certainly more lethal, and carries much more utility, being a fast transport scout skimmer than can deepstrike and carries both anti-infantry and anti-armor weapons, all in a 12/12/10 shell.

These, along side Manticores and Chimeras, are what I hate about Guard.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: August 13, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »

I'm not going to bang out the math-hammer here, but just want to note four things:
1)Railguns are S10 AP1 compared to S9 AP2 lascannons, making them significantly more lethal.
2)Broadsides should generally have some form of cover, vendettas almost never do.
3)Shield drones increase the survivability of Broadsides by quite a bit.
4)It takes quite a bit more firepower to down a team of broadsides than a vendetta. I need 1 good damage roll to stop a vendetta, as opposed to 2-4 bad saves to shut down a broadside team without shield drones. This means that stuff like autocannons and Assault cannons are significantly stronger against Vendettas.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 199