Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171074 times)

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2340 on: August 10, 2010, 02:23:45 pm »

I've wanted to get into 40k for years, ever since I saw folks playing it at a convention over a decade ago.

I picked up a Black Reach boxed set on eBay relatively cheap.  Painted up a bunch of them.  Wrapped my head around a very rough idea of how things work.

And then discovered that nobody around here plays.  And the nearest game shop that hosts games is across the lake...  Roughly 45 minutes away, plus a ferry ticket.  Bah!
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 10, 2010, 02:33:36 pm »

should i go through with the shadowfiend idea?

Are you asking....go through with it in a game play sense? I dunno. It's your money. Be prepared for people to go "WTF is that army?" and "WTF is that model?" and "WTF is THAT model?" And be prepared to spend 2x as much. Total conversions are nice and all, but people generally do them after they've been playing for a while and have lots of extra stuff.

Getting into 40k for the first time and trying to start out making a hybrid army? Sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen, and a lot of wasted money if you get dispirited. Personally, I'd just pick and army, play it straight for a while and give them a wicked paint job. Only someone with a shitload of disposible income goes out and buys two different army figs just to hack them together. 

And then discovered that nobody around here plays.

Don't feel bad. I've got a sizeable Blood Angels army, an entire closet full of terrain, Necromunda figs, Mordheim figs, my old WHFB army....and it's been sitting for about 5 years now. I could get all bummed, but since I put a few hundred hours into just making that stuff...I don't feel like it's going to waste. If I ever decide to get rid of it, I'm going to donate it all to my local game shop.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:37:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 10, 2010, 02:36:29 pm »

guess i'll start out with... do you recommend daemons or necrons?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 10, 2010, 02:38:52 pm »

From my very limited understanding, playing Necrons will make people dislike you and they've been nerfed in 5th edition anyway.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 10, 2010, 02:39:30 pm »

right, daemons it is.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 10, 2010, 02:40:11 pm »

IG are the coolest.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 10, 2010, 02:40:37 pm »

I've never played Necrons, but they're the undead of the 40k universe. No real psychology, some pretty sick weapons. I don't really have an opinion on them.

I do love Chaos, Chaos Space Marines and Daemons though. They're a good army but you have to settle for some unpredictability in how things work (given that it's Chaos and there's always a random element included somewhere.) They have some of the coolest figs in the game though, IMO. A hell of a lot less cartoony than what the Tyranids have devolved into.

Chaos is nice because there are lots and lots of ways to structure your army, unlike Space Marines who have a pretty rigid force organization, and are stuck with really expensive (Points cost) everythings in small numbers. By comparison, you can build a whole Chaos army out of cheap ass cultists if you want...or go the more expensive route of Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, ect....
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 10, 2010, 02:41:22 pm »

IG are the coolest.

And from what I've read, the strongest army in 5th.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 10, 2010, 02:43:36 pm »

@dj: SILENCE PATHETIC MORTAL! YOU HAVE NO SAY IN THE DEALINGS OF GODS!

@nenjin: alright, then, after i get good at it i'll start playing "for keeps", gaining five minis of my choice when i win, eventually revealing the reason i got all those chaos marines and those igs: shadowfiends! fully repainted, of course.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 10, 2010, 02:48:26 pm »

People actually do play that way, although rarely. They also play "Iron Man" where any fig that's killed get puts in a vice and crushed into the Warp.

I'm fairly certain those people go home, throw piles of money in the bathtub, set it all on fire and then roll around in it though.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: August 10, 2010, 02:48:50 pm »

But seriously, people who fight demons with just a flash-light and a leather jacket are more badass than the demons themselves.

The only acceptable way to play IG is a full infantry army, of course. Regulars instead of veterans, too, all with vox casters for ridiculous amounts of dakka.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 10, 2010, 02:50:38 pm »

But seriously, people who fight demons with just a flash-light and a leather jacket are more badass than the demons themselves.

The only acceptable way to play IG is a full infantry army, of course. Regulars instead of veterans, too, all with vox casters for ridiculous amounts of dakka.
hate to break it to you, dude, but even though i'm a noob, i can till the difference between 40k and buffy the vampire slayer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 10, 2010, 02:52:52 pm »

The IG generally wins because they can field more heavy weapons at a far cheaper cost than anyone else, except probably Orks. Very few armies can stand to walk into a barrage of every fucking Imperial weapon imaginable. As far as infantry goes, they also don't have huge point cost figs that have "shoot me first" stamped on their backs.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 10, 2010, 02:53:29 pm »

Daemon is a ridiculous spelling ranking up there with vampyre, so I refuse to use it.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: August 10, 2010, 03:01:56 pm »

Yes, Greek and Latin are ridiculous, aren't they. 
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 199