Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325305 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #540 on: September 11, 2009, 01:42:09 pm »

Small suggestion: shiny effect for metals. So that there would be a difference between orthoclase and gold fort ;)

I second this. The ability to tell metals from mere stone would do wonders for some of the more impressive forts.

I third this as well. While the bronze color of the artifact statue I showed a bit earlier is good, it still needs a metallic lustre to it.

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 11, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »

Hey, Baboonanza,
awsome job with this program!

i have one bug to report
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also could i request some more mouse moment features? Like holding right button and moving up/down to zoom in/out, and holding third button (a.k.a mouse wheel) to move horizontally on map surface.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 11, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »

Will doors be visible? I'm guessing so, but i wanted to ask anyway. :P

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 11, 2009, 03:33:16 pm »

holy mackerel, the new version is super-fast, I was entirely unprepared.

I noticed that the Fortification corners now appear to be normal walls instead of rainbows.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 12, 2009, 02:09:17 am »

Hey, Baboonanza,
awsome job with this program!

i have one bug to report

Also could i request some more mouse moment features? Like holding right button and moving up/down to zoom in/out, and holding third button (a.k.a mouse wheel) to move horizontally on map surface.

I have also noticed there are problems with the frustum. Now that you mention that it has to do with the resizing: could it be that the frustum is not correctly recalculated after resizing?

And to the whole "should" discussion:

And finally:
Splendid work, everyone! I am very glad it now works up to 40d16.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 12, 2009, 03:17:38 am »

The frustum problem is a strange one. I was doing just what you were doing the other day and it worked fine, but I'll see if I can track it down. It's not my (admittedly slightly dodgy) frustum culling but the OpenGL far plane being reset to a closer distance.

Better lighting and material differentiation is next on my todo list. Hopefully it should see a dramatic improvement in quality, but we'll see.

Clipping the camera against the terrain is actually fairly difficult due to the noise added to the geometry. I don't keep a copy of the map geometry after it's sent to the graphics card so there is no way of knowing exactly where walls are.

You should actually be able to add your own objects by exporting to .obj format, dropping them in the Models directory and then adding them to buildings.csv. They should automatically use the material for whatever they are made of, adding your own is a bit more difficult. Two things to remember: Z is up and polygon winding must be anti-clockwise.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 12, 2009, 03:33:12 am »

Nice one, except there's graphical glitch at bottom zfloor I think? at least for lava.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 12, 2009, 03:44:19 am »

It's not only the farplane:
I had a similar problem in one of my programs and I just forgot to call the frustum recalculation function after window resizing - maybe that is the fault?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 12, 2009, 04:02:15 am »

Very awesome program.  Never could get 3Dwarf to work so just now seeing one of my fortresses in 3D for the first time.  Yours worked the second time (first time I had an out of date version from 3 days ago lol). 

Took a little jaunt around my fort.  Never realized how intimidating my entrance chamber looks.  It's ridiculously large looking in 3D, and the approach to my base with all the fortifications looking down on you was a bit exciting too.  Shame the goblins don't seem to care lol. 

I noticed you had beds, chairs, and tables in.  Do you plan to eventually have 'everything'? (Everything used lightly since there's a frick load of items.  There are some sites out there with free 3D models.  Some of them might help speed things along a bit instead of having to model everything. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 12, 2009, 09:01:00 am »

is geometry ever displaced by more than half a tile? If not, I sugest this:

Have a collision matrix that is completely separate from graphics beyond being initialized at the same time, it is probably best to have two bits of information for each tile, giving you for different kinds of tiles.
-Solid, for solid rock or some workshop tiles or other such 100% impassible things.
-Open air, for tiles that are completely empty and has no floor.
-pathable, for a tile with a floor or such, any place were a non-flying, non-swimming etc. creature could walk.
-partially blocked, for things like trees, statues, furniture, liquids, fortifications, or anything else were it is the slightest doubt is something could walk or where walking might be awkward.

For each of these, allow the user to set collisions on or of, as well as a speed. The speed is just what it sounds like, how fast the camera goes while inside the tile. if collisions are on, and the camera is WITHIN HALF A TILE OF the tile, the camera is puched strongly away from the impassable tile, meaning that for example in a single tile corridor the camera will follow a 1 dimensional line, and if you have colisions turned on for open air and walk outside it will work like a horizontal plane, etc.

one thing that might or might not be considered is also letting the user set some different things, say all the different buildings, to whatever of the 4 states they want through some init file, but that is probably not really necessary for something like this.

I have this thought up quite carefully in programming terms, but I think I haven't explained it very well here and might have made it sound more complicated than it is, if you are interested in actually using this for the visualizer but don't quite understand this explanation, just PM me saying what you are confused about and I'll make some pseudocode or something.
Also, you obviously don't have to follow this exactly or use the same names or such, this post is more a semi-vague gesture in the intended direction than a specific method of implementation on some things.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #550 on: September 12, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »

Check out my Eternal Halls Tower in your visualizer:

I love this application!
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 12, 2009, 12:40:21 pm »

Wow, awesome towers. :)

This app continues to impress, thanks for all the effort Baboonanza. :)

Grey Hunter and Volfram, your work looks great. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 12, 2009, 01:35:18 pm »

Is the tower in back leaning?!  :P
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 12, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »

it surely seems so. odd, i saw that kind of thing only on natural walls, not on constructed walls. i hope i won't have a leaning castle... it would be so wrong :S

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #554 on: September 12, 2009, 06:47:46 pm »

Um, duders, that's perspective+lens distortion, not a leaning tower.
<3
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 90