Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Pot and Etcetera  (Read 6122 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pot and Etcetera
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:30:34 pm »

I've been visiting with my uncle a bit lately, he's a really cool, hard working guy that's very intelligent, and nice to talk to. Sometimes I'll hang out with him in the garage as he lights up a joint, and takes a few puffs to relieve the stress from his very busy schedule.

This is really my only contact with an weed. My hypochondriacal tendencies are bothering me however, and I wonder if there's anything to worry about from getting a little contact high.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pot and Etcetera
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »

I'm afraid you shouldn't have got me started on this.

There is little to no evidence that pot is harmful in any way (besides the fact that smoke is harmful in general). The study that found "conclusive" evidence that THC (the active ingredient) reduces your cognitive abilities were done on monkeys (err...primeapes?), giving them increasing doses daily, and they had to give them something like 100 times the amount found in your average joint to notice any change. Proof that statistics can support anything you want them to support if you quote them vaguely enough.

That said, I'm a BC native (BC bud! famous worldwide!) who's smoked pot quite regularly for...5 years, I guess, and I can tell you firsthand it does make you stupider. Very slightly, very slowly, but it does. Also lazy, but it does that immediately.

I'd say your risk of any adverse affects from sitting in a smoky room occasionally are almost immeasurably low. It's also pretty unlikely for you to get noticeably high from sitting in a smoky room, unless you have a rather low tolerance or it's really good weed.

Erowid.com has a lot of good information on mind altering substances if you want some reading, and it's mostly unbiased. It has a slight drugs-are-super-fun bent to it though.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:49:18 pm »

I've been visiting with my uncle a bit lately, he's a really cool, hard working guy that's very intelligent, and nice to talk to. Sometimes I'll hang out with him in the garage as he lights up a joint, and takes a few puffs to relieve the stress from his very busy schedule.

This is really my only contact with an weed. My hypochondriacal tendencies are bothering me however, and I wonder if there's anything to worry about from getting a little contact high.

Only if you have a drug test the next day. Even then, you would probably have to be in a small enclosed area(like if he was hotboxing) to fail. So I say, don't worry about it at all.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 08:53:03 pm »

In a small confined space with no ventilation a ton of weed being smoked, yes can get stoned off second-hand smoke.

But in a garage which will be reasonably large and most likely have lots of places for the smoke to escape its not so bad.

Remember even if you do get stoned that if not a constant user that it will stay in your body for only a short time (least than a week)
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:01:16 pm »

I hope he rolls that stuff with $100 bills or he ain't cool.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »

Remember even if you do get stoned that if not a constant user that it will stay in your body for only a short time (least than a week)

Not necessarily true, it depends on the quality of the test. The THC will stay in your body (depending on how much fat you have, since it's fat soluble) for a couple weeks. The $30 test most companies use won't pick it up, but sometimes (government jobs in Canada, for instance) they sprinkle in a few $300 tests that'll pick up a joint you smoked almost a month ago.

EDIT : Actually, if we're talking about second hand smoke you might be right. I got carried away with that paragraph thar since I know a bunch of people who have come across this particular problem...

So yeah Josh, you have nothing to worry about unless you work for the government :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:14:09 pm by kinseti »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:16:38 pm »

Sir Josh must work for the government!  It would explain everything!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:26:18 pm »

Explains what ToonyMan?

Anyways, thanks Kinseti, it looks like my fears were unfounded.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:30:00 pm »

Be careful with the etcetera though, that shit will fuck you up.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:36:45 pm »

Explains what ToonyMan?

Why there is a spider on your shirt!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »

Sir Josh must work for the government!  It would explain everything!

Toonyman, why do you using Ruffy as your avatar?
Because of you mind my insults?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 10:22:51 pm »

Simple.  I like One Piece.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 12:10:57 am »

Ruffy? Ruffy?!? One Piece kicks ass, I've been meaning to comment on that, Toon. Too bad about that filler lately though (if you are up on the fansubs).

Explains what ToonyMan?

Hey no problem. I just like knowing what I'm talking about for a change. ::)

Just say no, kids.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:18:46 am by kinseti »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:34:38 pm »

I say just light up and enjoy a joint, we only live once after all, so just try everything.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 12:35:55 pm »

YEAH!  WE MUST DO EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE!  MURDER!  CHARITY!  NOTHING WILL REMAIN UNDER OUR GRASPS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5