Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Worst artifacts list  (Read 10974 times)

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
Re: Worst artifacts list
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2009, 12:49:03 pm »

I did say useless mood.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2009, 12:55:10 pm »

I guess you did.

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2009, 01:38:56 pm »

One of my o7 was a proficient woodcutter/armorsmith and he took over a forge during a possession. Damn, I thought, no legendary metal skill, but at least I will get a sexeh artifact.

It's a tin mini-forge. It menaces with spikes of tin.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2009, 01:52:53 pm »

I got an iron crossbow called Ironrips. It isn't bad, but think about it: I could have had an axe named Ironrips.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2009, 02:25:13 pm »

Let's see, in my current game, my useless artifacts
:

Nourishmelts the Salty Fortification: obsidian idol + bands of chestnut + spikes of obsidian. On it there is a image of dwarves laboring.

Toebeguiled the Defective Friend: An obsidian floodgate, encircled in obsidian, with spikes of obsidian and onyx opals, with an image of broad crosses.

Gulfsubmerge the Vises of Balding: Obsidian toy boat, encrusted with obsidian and onyx opal, menaces with spikes of obsidian.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

At least you can actually place the floodgate somewhere (normal ones are easy enough to make) and get a benefit out of it.

Artifact craft goods (idols, scepters, crowns, so on) are generally the most useless artifacts as far as making use of the artifact status goes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 03:10:45 pm »

As a PD: there was a human thrall of the goblins who had an iron whip with a carved version of the idol
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 02:56:07 am »

Actually, that is not completely useless, use it in a well and you will get the benefits of an artifact bucket.

Exactly. Even if it's only worth a couple thousand your dwarves will be admiring the completely sublime well you can make out of this.

I can hardly believe anyone would bitch about an artifact bucket as being a "waste" of material and/or useless. If anything, buckets are among the best artifacts to have (though admittedly something like an axe, sword or plate mail outshine a bucket by far).

for me it's not so much it's value...

more the fat that if calld the inferno of HOLES!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2009, 10:53:39 pm »

A rhesus macaque bone shield studded with rhesus macaque bone. From a possession too, didn't even get a legendary bonecarver out of it. Worth 3000.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »

That might be a great thing - or not.  It's still completely unclear what the armor modifier for artifacts is.  (I'd agree 100% if you said you'd still feel better if it wasn't bone.)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:38 pm »

My current Fort has produced six Artifacts so far... almost all of them worthless (a Sunstone Ring, with only one ingredient?).

The best of the lot was actually quite cool. My Legendary Miner went into a strange mood, and ran up to the surface to claim a Mason's workshop. He gathered a whole bunch of crap and started working... when suddenly a Goblin Thief snuck in across my traps and started heading towards him. None of my Military were close enough to head him off before he interrupted the Legendary Miner, and I was cursing the unavoidable loss of my just starting to have FUN when my Hunter came around the corner! I immediately drafted him, and he one-shotted the Thief, killing him instantly with a single Crossbow bolt just before he would have stepped into sight of my Miner. The Miner finished his Artifact... a Copper Bed, with two engravings of itself on it... and also an engraving of the death of the Thief who nearly interrupted its production!

I thought it was kind of cool...
Never pet a burning dog.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 03:18:57 am »

This thing causes me physical pain with its uselessness.

Its value?

4800 dwarfbucks.

DAMMIT.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2009, 08:23:38 am »

That might be a great thing - or not.  It's still completely unclear what the armor modifier for artifacts is.  (I'd agree 100% if you said you'd still feel better if it wasn't bone.)

It's decently useful, yes, but it's worth 3000. That's pretty pitiful for an artifact.

I'm curious, is there a link between how much wealth a fortress has and how complex the artifacts they make are? I've never seen an artifact that required more than three things, yet some people have artifacts worth hundreds of thousands of db using upwards of six materials.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2009, 08:51:15 am »

It's decently useful, yes, but it's worth 3000. That's pretty pitiful for an artifact.

I'm curious, is there a link between how much wealth a fortress has and how complex the artifacts they make are? I've never seen an artifact that required more than three things, yet some people have artifacts worth hundreds of thousands of db using upwards of six materials.
I don't think so. On one fort, my second artifact was around 10-20 thousand dwarfbucks It was a headscarf, but still.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2009, 01:57:58 pm »

Worst or most awesome, just a matter of opinion.

My mayor was whining about wanting to have a platinum door in his tomb and my other nobles were totally being mandate whores to. Unfortunately at the time i had only the one anvil, which was occupied by a fey'd weapon smith (who might even have been my mayor itself). Anyways, after some time a masterpiece was finally created, namely a artifact steel warhammer, which my hammerer proceeded to pick up and beat the living day lights out of everyone failing to reach the mandate deadlines.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8