Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Worst artifacts list  (Read 10961 times)

gershwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst artifacts list
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2009, 08:02:45 pm »

I'm not complaining about my legendary clothier, but what kind of fey mood produced this?

Basenabir Dudgoth Biban - Sprayromance the Bog of Balls, a Pig tail loincloth.

Eww!

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2009, 10:27:27 am »

I'm more worried about the sort of dwarf that would end up wearing it.

"Hey, babe, I'm wearing an artifact loincloth.  It's the only thing that'll fit my legendary-" *SLAP*
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 11:06:11 am »

Every bar of iron is a special and precious commodity. every block of obsidian, copper, silver and kimberlite is special, because without it, your craftsdwarves would make platinum piccolos :D
See, I hold a differing opinion. I do my best to try to steer the crafters in to the most expensive components; I'm never in a critical shortage of, say, aluminum, so it's not a problem. I had a crafter make a Steel crossbow, with Blocks of native Aluminum; I considered this a great success. I love added wealth.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2009, 11:10:05 am »

Every bar of iron is a special and precious commodity. every block of obsidian, copper, silver and kimberlite is special, because without it, your craftsdwarves would make platinum piccolos :D
See, I hold a differing opinion. I do my best to try to steer the crafters in to the most expensive components; I'm never in a critical shortage of, say, aluminum, so it's not a problem. I had a crafter make a Steel crossbow, with Blocks of native Aluminum; I considered this a great success. I love added wealth.
Personally, I hate added wealth by artifacts. To see my fort of about 400k wealth suddenly make a 1mil adamantine artifact makes everything else seem worthless. That, and I believe more wealth=more goblins.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2009, 11:54:14 am »

Personally, I hate added wealth by artifacts. To see my fort of about 400k wealth suddenly make a 1mil adamantine artifact makes everything else seem worthless. That, and I believe more wealth=more goblins.
More wealth = more goblins = more fun, more iron, etc.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2009, 12:04:08 pm »

But when you think about it, isn't that the way it is? If a fort produces a thousand masterwork steel swords, then you'd have a reputation for good swords, people would come buy your swords. If a fort produces one singular piece of work, a solid gold blade inlaid with precious stones and with craftsdwarfship beyond any other...

Look at it this way, then. Renaissance era. In three centuries, there must have been thousands of individual pieces of art created, buildings, portraits paintings, sculptures, and what have you. But you don't REMEMBER the white noise. You remember the Mona Lisa and the Sistine Chapel paintings, and you remember da Vinci and Michaelangelo. If you make something good but not great, it fails to rise above the crushing seas of mediocrity. Only by creating a work of art so great that people centuries later are still awed by it do you really distinguish yourself. So yes, it makes perfect sense to me for one artifact to be worth more than the rest of my fort put together.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2009, 01:24:26 pm »

not an artifact, but.... meh jeweler got possesed and  jewel encrusted a gold sword
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »

(If it's from a possession, how is that not an artifact?  How did you have a gold sword if it's not an artifact?)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2009, 05:47:39 pm »

First mood in the fort. Posession. Took the bowyer's workshop. He took a single piece of the wood I shipped from the mountainhome, and created an artifact with a huge name, wider than the game window. I was all excited, artifact crossbow, y'know?

It was a tower-cap blowgun. It menaces with spikes of tower-cap.

YOU USED UP AN ENTIRE LOG ON A DAMN BLOWGUN? I can't even use it in a trap without it spamming demands for ammo!
2200 dwarfbucks. I make more valuable stacks of FOOD.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2009, 06:42:15 am »

I've broken 14k with stacks of food before, which is more valuable than any artifact short of one that picks up multiple pieces of valuable metal. But yea, 2200 value sucks, most moods don't produce anything good.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2009, 01:18:33 pm »

It was a tower-cap blowgun. It menaces with spikes of tower-cap.

Oh, ouch!

I just had the opposite happen - newly arrived peasant (before I could give them a skill) claimed a craftshop, and grabbed 4 stacks of fish bones, some chalk, some rope-reed cloth, and a friggin' gold bar.  I'm thinking "Great, the world's best earring" - he built a bed! ROYAL score, about 50k right there.  Not an artifact crossbow, but not too shabby, considering the possibilities.

Sometimes you get the gold, sometimes just the shaft.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2009, 01:27:47 pm »

"OM NOM NOM.  ...hey, this roast tastes kinda funny."
"That's a blowgun."
"Oh.  OM NOM NOM."
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2009, 01:50:34 pm »

Okay, so I had this Bonecrafter, I had a few of them already so I was actually using him as a Broker for the fortress, cause he had a bunch of the people skills needed for it. So anyway, one day he gets the idea that he wants to try the whole bone and shell thing on for size. Maybe giving the elves a bunch of useless goblin clothes for wood just wasn't intellectually stimulating enough. He goes into the the store room and grabs just one turtle shell, and out of this just one turtle shell, he manages to construct Oshosholon "The Hermitic Gear"... A turtle bone flood gate worth 2400.

It wasn't a possession though so he got a lovely boost to legendary bonecrafter, so I though "well alright that's good, at least I have something for him to do when he's not trading." Only to have the idiot get taken out by a goblin wrestler a few days later in a ambush.

So now I have a turtle bone flood gate. Woo!
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2009, 02:05:33 pm »

Possession and I got an artifact COPPER sword out of it.  Then a champion snatches it up before I can make a trap for it.  My masterwork obsidian swords are better than that PoS and it wasn't really worth that much to begin with.

So now my champion swordsdwarf does far less damage than the dozens of masterwork obsidian equiped guy do. I also didn't get a legendary weaponsmith to make masterwork metal weapons for me.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2009, 03:05:37 pm »

Look on the bright side: at least he's (slightly) less likely to dismember rookies during sparring.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8