Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?  (Read 15405 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2009, 10:48:39 am »

miniguns tear combat armor to shreds in 2, at most 3 volleys (I'm level 9 at the moment).

Minigun tears almost everything to shreds... so out range them! Burst weapons aren't accurate at long range and do much less damage. Get good at long range shooting and cripple one of their arms - heavy weapons require both arms to operate. Or get plenty of action points (with high dex, traits and action boy), and duck behind obstacles and have them come to you. Stay far enough behind so that they cannot come close and fire. Whip out your nastiest attack, like a powered sledge hammer strike, to their arms. Then move and hide again (if there are multiple minigun-wielding foes) with your large amount of action points.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 10:54:40 am »

err... the situation is this:
I'm in the middle of the desert, and there are these 5 Super Mutants with miniguns, there is no cover.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2009, 11:05:05 am »

err... the situation is this:
I'm in the middle of the desert, and there are these 5 Super Mutants with miniguns, there is no cover.

Run!

... and why are you facing super mutant teams at level 9 in the first place? Is this a dumb character so you can't find enough quests to do?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 11:13:23 am »

oh yes. dumb characters get no breaks. even worse, often if you miss a quest as a retard, you miss it forever (even with mentats).

also I was wrong, only a few of those mutants have miniguns, the rest are unarmed, so if I take down the armed ones first (and have full helath, and a bit of [real world] luck) that encounter is quite survivable.
finaly, I developped a new tactic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2009, 11:24:39 am »

What I did was this

You still have to prioritize your targets a bit, but I think when I finished the game (and I tried to played it normally, apart from the minmaxing my character to be a friggin autofiring sniper) I was actually level 9 too. And I did a lot of quests... But I think as soon as I found the

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2009, 08:57:13 am »

I found Fallout 2 to be brutal on dumb characters. My first char in FO1 was a dumb and strong one, great fun, felt like a classic dungeon crawler with guns.

Mutants are easy, lol.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2009, 12:53:32 pm »

I've got a different sort of problem.  Years ago I bought Fallout 1 and 2 as a set for $10.  I spent many happy hours playing Fallout 1, but never had the time to get past the beginning in Fallout 2.  Time passed, I forgot I had the discs.

Then, a year or so ago, I discovered the discs, was flooded with a wave of excited nostalgia, and decided to pick up where I left off.  The problem?  I found the discs in my sister's room, and she had not exactly taken care of them.  They were full of scratches.  I never managed to get F2 to work again, no matter what I did to that disc.

Suddenly, a few months ago, a glimmer of hope appears.  I find the iso for F2 online for the taking.  I've paid for this game, I think to myself, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for the same game twice, so I nabbed the file.

Ever since then I've been trying to get it to work.  I've tried mounting the iso with VirtualCloneDrive and DaemonTools Lite - I can install it fine, but when I try to run it, I get a "you need the disc to play this game" message.  I even tried actually burning it to a disc, but even with it in the drive, I STILL get that message.  I've also tried every NoCD program I could find - no dice.

It's like the universe is conspiring against me being able to play this wonderful, spectacular, beautiful game.  WHY, ARMOK, WHY???

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I could get this to work?  I'm running Vista, unfortunately, so that may be part of the problem, but no compatibility mode helps.  I've asked around on the forums where I got the iso to begin with, and it seems like I'm the only one in the world having trouble getting it to run even when it's mounted with DaemonTools (which can apparently emulate copy protection).  I'm at the end of my rope here.  Any ideas at all?  Anybody?  Please help me!  It is torture to read about you guys playing and not be able to join in!

Edit: AHA!  I installed that 1.02+ patch and suddenly it works!  Oh boy oh boy oh boy...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:12:48 pm by Sappho »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2009, 01:14:59 pm »

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I could get this to work?  I'm running Vista, unfortunately, so that may be part of the problem, but no compatibility mode helps.  I've asked around on the forums where I got the iso to begin with, and it seems like I'm the only one in the world having trouble getting it to run even when it's mounted with DaemonTools (which can apparently emulate copy protection).  I'm at the end of my rope here.  Any ideas at all?  Anybody?  Please help me!  It is torture to read about you guys playing and not be able to join in!
Did you do a full install? I can't recall my copy actually requiring the CD to be inside. Perhaps the ISO is bad?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »

I installed the unofficial patch and it works now.  Oh, sweet Fallout 2, how I have dreamed of this day...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2009, 06:22:24 am »

Mutants are easy, lol....

also, about the mutant ending:

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2009, 10:08:10 am »

Holy crap, I forgot how crushingly difficult this game is...  Took me three tries just to get through the temple.  Now I'm in Klamath, still with almost no fighting skill, and no means to buy any armor.  The only small gun weapon I could find is the pipe gun, which can be fired only once before you have to reload it.  I'm still getting crushed by the little silver geckos...

By the way, I remember having difficulty with this years ago, and I can't remember how I solved it - how do you skin the geckos after you've killed them?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2009, 10:39:43 am »

By the way, I remember having difficulty with this years ago, and I can't remember how I solved it - how do you skin the geckos after you've killed them?
Someone in Klamath has to teach you that. Although I can't remember whether it's the guy you save from the toxic caves or just some guy in trapper town.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2009, 10:42:08 am »

Hm...  I found a guy in trapper town who I could ask to teach me, but he refused.  Maybe my speech skill isn't good enough yet.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2009, 07:06:16 pm »

Holy crap, I forgot how crushingly difficult this game is...  Took me three tries just to get through the temple.  Now I'm in Klamath, still with almost no fighting skill, and no means to buy any armor.  The only small gun weapon I could find is the pipe gun, which can be fired only once before you have to reload it.  I'm still getting crushed by the little silver geckos...

Speed is your friend. Calculate how much action points your opponents have (by looking at how far they can move if they don't attack), then keep that distance between you and them. Let them come to you and run out of action points to attack. Then you attack them on your turn, keeping enough action points to move the same distance. That way they never get to land a hit on you.

This tactics will get most characters through the temple without a scratch from ants and scorpions, and works for little geckos too. The golden ones are much tougher and faster, so you will get hit unless you are extremely fast.

The pipe gun is good for sniping rats... or bartering. Remember to unload that single bullet first.

For gecko skinning, you need to rescue a guy from the toxic caves... which should be very difficult for you since you're still struggling with little geckos. The guy in trapper town teaches outdoorsman IIRC, and is one of the methods to access the rat caves.

If you want some easy XP to fix your character, go lock/unlock every single door in town. The first time you successfully lock/unlock a door you get some XP, and with good skill in lockpicking (e.g. IIRC about 40 for Klamath, 100 for Vault City) you can get a lot more free loot too. Lockpicking is a skill I'll tag if I want an easier early game.

Plus its fun to lock all the outhouses... :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2009, 12:02:13 pm »

Well, poo.  Suddenly the game is crashing every time I try to go to trapper town.  Anyone else ever encounter this problem?  Can I complete the game without trapper town?  I seem to be able to go to other areas okay.  I wonder if this has something to do with that unofficial patch I installed...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8